SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Who has noticed less birds in your area?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who has noticed less birds in your area? Login/Join 
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted
I have been reading about the declining bird population, and have noticed this year how there are very few birds around my home.

I have bird feeders I stock all year long,there are some birds that show up, but not in the numbers I used to see. Migratory or non-migratory, it's just very few.

Normally this time of the year, every morning my feeders would be swarmed with pine siskins, Cardinals, Jays, woodpeckers, and doves on the ground.

I walk through the woods on my property, and see very few birds. Growing up, used to see lots of catbirds and mockingbirds. A few mockingbirds show up, but no catbirds.

There are many species I could mention, but in general there are far less birds visible than a few years ago.

Is this true for where you live?

Really sad if this is happening, songbirds have vanished.

Personally, in my area, I blame clear cut logging.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
It’s been a while since I’ve seen Gold Finches, Still have a few Cardinals, Tit Mouse, some Sparrows and a few Dove, but currently seems a decline.

Like you I feed them year round.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
I think bird populations are in decline due to the amount of feral cats. Smitshonian Article

I used to live in a town that had a hellacious feral cat problem and there wasn't a bird for miles because of it.

Posts: 2859 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I like to birdwatch. Normally during the summers, I notice a transient bird species nesting, eg.,Scarlet Tanger

Did not see any new to my area birds this summer.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
I noticed a decline the last two years, now many starlings, they predate on other birds nests.

Posts: 2405 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: June 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Less blue jays, woodpeckers and hummingbirds around here. Less finches too. Some new brown bird - smaller than blue jays but larger than pecker.

I’d say half are gone.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13087 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
No Meadowlarks,Thrushes, Flickers,Phobes,heck, I've not seen a Starling in the country in years.

So many types of birds missing.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sunset_Va,

美しい犬

Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Overall, we seem to see far fewer birds. Whatever is cutting into the general bird population doesn’t seem to bother magpies.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4275 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
I like to birdwatch. Normally during the summers, I notice a transient bird species nesting, eg.,Scarlet Tanger

Did not see any new to my area birds this summer.

I found one dead several years ago and thought it could have been West Nile virus.

I only had two pair of bluebirds this year when I could have ten or more pair. Only one fletched four birds. I had six bluebird boxes destroyed by someone. Looks like they hit it with something that damaged it enough that it was not repairable. They even killed the bird that was on one nest.

Lots of other bird species not around as well.

Posts: 11892 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I feed a couple of feral cats, so the lack of birds in my AO is not surprising. The number of feral cats I feed has lessened (less than half the max) so I'm not too worried about the effect on the general bird population.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
It seems like we do have fewer birds in my area.
But, while we've had a hawk in the neighborhood forever, lately I've seen two hawks hanging out together.

Now, if the mole population could be eradicated...

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bushpilot
posted Hide Post
The Sharp Shined Hawk has been destroying my bird population. State Fish and Game said to shoot it as they were worried about the declining song bird populations...I try to work on the Audubon Annual Bird count every year around this time and we have noticed the decline as well. Living in the country, people seem to think it is OK to drop of stray cats. I shoot every one I see. A pet indoor cat is great but not outside.

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Not here. The quail are thick, as usual. There are plenty of red tailed hawks around. Plenty of turkeys (wild), and plenty of turkey vultures. A lot more woodpeckers than I’d like, and plenty of other birds too.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Other than fewer hummingbirds at the feeder, I haven’t noticed a huge drop in bird numbers. I see plenty from my stand and hear them looking for food in the leaves while I wait for the deer to show up. I have noticed the number of tree rats seems to be pretty healthy, both grays and fox.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15791 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Our lake place borders a national forest. I had about 4 humminbirds last summer and the lack of songbirds was very noticeable. We have woodpeckers, hawks,eagles, some robins but the smaller nut hatches etc. were almost non existent. Could just be a natural cycle of nature?

I know the wind generator farms are responsible for lack of bird populations in areas they are located in but we have none that close to us.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8617 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
We have had a lot of birds at our house but we are feeding them

Posts: 13047 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Last week saw a hawk perched on a wall with something in its grasp it ended up being a bird. There does seem to be a decline of song birds.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4889 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
We’re up the road a bit from the OP and we’re commenting on this a few months ago. We decided to get a suet ball feeder and hang it off our deck in the hopes of helping the existing populations make it through the upcoming Winter.

We’ve been pleasantly surprised at the number of birds that have visited on a semi regular basis including Red breasted woodpeckers, cardinals, tit mouses and several other species.

I hope it helps.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6468 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
We’re up the road a bit from the OP and we’re commenting on this a few months ago. We decided to get a suet ball feeder and hang it off our deck in the hopes of helping the existing populations make it through the upcoming Winter.

We’ve been pleasantly surprised at the number of birds that have visited on a semi regular basis including Red breasted woodpeckers, cardinals, tit mouses and several other species.

I hope it helps.

Thanks for making the extra effort.

Old growth hardwood forests in Virginia are being decimated, sadly. These hardwood forests have not only the principle growth trees, but understory growth that support many birds that thrive on insects, not only seeds. Clear cutting destroys this for birds.

Pine forests support some birds, but not on the scale as hardwood forests.

美しい犬

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Feral/stray cats have been killing the shit out of our neighborhood birds. I find a couple of piles of feathers in my yard, every week. They got our Cardinal a few days ago. Mad

Posts: 27162 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post