SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Honeywill Thermostat and Xfinity WiFi
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Honeywill Thermostat and Xfinity WiFi Login/Join 
Picture of erj_pilot
posted
Good morning Borg Collective!

Need some assistance and this is pretty much the first (and only) place one needs to seek an answer...

Situation:
Just upgraded mother's internet service from crap-o-la AT&T DSL to Xfinity 200Mbps WiFi...AT&T did not have hi-speed internet capabilities in mother's area. At any rate, the WiFi is working fabulously...it's the same plan I have for my own home.

To that end, I purchased a Honeywell WiFi Thermostat for mother so I could keep an eye on the temperature at her place (she's in Louisiana). The thermostat WOULD NOT connect to the WiFi through her xFi/XB3 Gateway/Router...the thermostat kept returning an E02 code, meaning the password was incorrect. That's IMPOSSIBLE, as about 6 other devices are connected to the WiFi using that same password.

I called Honeywell Tech Support and the young lady with whom I spoke was AWESOME! She had me set up a Hotspot on my brother's phone and then try to connect the thermostat via that Hotspot. It worked!!!

So the issue is with the Xfinity Gateway...NOT with the thermostat. There's apparently a setting on the Gateway that is not allowing communication with the thermostat. I tried splitting the signal so that I could specifically login to the 2.4Ghz connection, but that didn't work either.

I can't be the first person on the face of this planet to have this setup. Has anyone else come across this and if so, were you able to change a setting on your Gateway to allow the thermostat to communicate?? For reference, it's a Honeywell model #RTH6580WF.

BTW...I have this EXACT thermostat in my house, but the difference is I have my own cable modem and Netgear Router, i.e., I'm not using Xfinity's equipment.

Thanks everyone!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Honeywell model #RTH6580WF.

Not sure if this helps, I've had several devices that didn't want to connect but after several resets and attempts (MyQ is the worst) they connect.

It's possible the T-Stat is looking to connect over a port and the Xfinity router doesn't allow it or has that port blocked.

Found this on Honeywell FAQ, you may have tried this, but figured WTF...

How to connect to WiFi Link

Why won't my Honeywell connect to WiFi Link

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyanide357
posted Hide Post
Could also be the radio frequencies not being compatible (or just not enabled) between the thermostat and the xfinity AP. 2.4GHz vs 5GHz.

Thermostat probably wants 2.4 and that may not be enabled by default on the xfinity. Would not hurt to check. Should also be able to check the xfinity for device history and see if you can confirm communication attempts from the thermostat.

Posts: 249 | Registered: November 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first thing I would do is log into the router and see what the log says.

If it denied a connection it might say why.

If you don't see it in a log, the thermostat may be in a dead spot.

Before I upgraded my WiFi, I needed to use a repeater to connect to the router with some devices.

The hotspot is being utilized like a repeater.

It also could be the password is stored wrong.

More than once I have troubleshot a problem that the password was a little off, caps/no caps is common.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Set up a IoT network? Restrict to 2.5?

I know my Trane “connected” thermostat doesn’t like the 5 spectrum

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post