SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cell Phone Boosters
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cell Phone Boosters Login/Join 
posted
Going to an area where I will need to change service or get cell phone booster. Booster sounds easier?
Need both one for the truck and one to mount in a building.
Suggestions or comments!
Tried a search, but no luck.

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Check for WILSON cell products.

https://www.wilsonamplifiers.c...LiNkygWGcaAlGj8P8HAQ

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7131 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Karmanator
Picture of Chance
posted Hide Post
Depending on your provider and internet service strength you might consider a microcell for the building.

I know both Verizon and AT&T have them - sometimes they will give you a discount.

We need one for our ranch and it works really well. Essentially you have a tiny cell phone tower in your building that connects over the internet.

https://www.att.com/att/microcell/

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:

I was going to suggest this product as well. We use this one the ship as a matter of fact, and it works very well.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30538 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

I was going to suggest this product as well. We use this one the ship as a matter of fact, and it works very well.
As a word of caution, if you read up on them you'll find that they work best when you have a good signal outdoors but not in the building (e.g. building has radiant barrier). If there is no signal to boost then products Chance recommended are better (assuming you have internet in the building).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23399 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a weboost system with the antenna. It takes the cell signal and boosts it to my mofi unit which converts it to wifi.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d...DK6AJWTFYDDFEZYXHBPF

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d...32S2WYQ5AEEH6AD98AZE

Mofi unit my unit has the paddle ears.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d...n76JFNaOL&ref=plSrch

Both of my units are upstairs, and boost wifi across the house. This is cellular based, find a local company that buys xellular data from providers in bulk. Mine sells 200 gigs for 200 a month. 1 dollar a gig, versus a cellular plan at 6 to 8 dollars per gig.

I was prior to this system getting 2 megs down and .35 megs up.

I average 25 down and 5 up now.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
quote:

As a word of caution, if you read up on them you'll find that they work best when you have a good signal outdoors but not in the building (e.g. building has radiant barrier). If there is no signal to boost then products Chance recommended are better (assuming you have internet in the building).

That's not my experience. You certainly need to have some signal, but too strong a signal and the booster unit will shut down. It's not a repeater. It takes a weak outside signal and boosts it at the amplifier. It can't work when the outside signal is strong or too close to a cell tower.

On the ship, when offshore or in the middle of the bay where the cell signal is weak, I actually have better reception and 4G internet in my office down in the hull of the ship than the mates do up on the bridge.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30538 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

That's not my experience. You certainly need to have some signal, but too strong a signal and the booster unit will shut down. It's not a repeater. It takes a weak outside signal and boosts it at the amplifier. It can't work when the outside signal is strong or too close to a cell tower.

On the ship, when offshore or in the middle of the bay where the cell signal is weak, I actually have better reception and 4G internet in my office down in the hull of the ship than the mates do up on the bridge.

If the signal is to strong, hit the tower 3 to 7 degrees on the oblique. That will give strong enough signal to boost but not strong enough to cause it to shut down.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do also use cell phone boosters on boats. They tend to extend the signal about another 5 miles from what I've seen. However they seem to work well if only one cell phone is in use at a time. With a few cell phones in use from multiple carriers they tend to now work well, such as verizon and at+t....

Posts: 21339 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:

If the signal is to strong, hit the tower 3 to 7 degrees on the oblique. That will give strong enough signal to boost but not strong enough to cause it to shut down.

We use an Omni directional antenna on the ship (for obvious reasons), but that is a good suggestion for static based, directional units. Good tip.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

posted Hide Post
Mine is directional, how my house sits, i needed to point it pretty close to the tower.

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Check out Wilson Amplifier's website:
  • the square footage of their indoor boost depends on the strength of outdoor signal.
  • Full outdoor strength signal is -50dB, and you have to at least -105dB for a booster to work. In 2014, FCC put in regs maxing amplified gain at 50dB so they wouldn't interfere with cell towers.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23399 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    quote:
    quote:
    quote:
    quote:

Check out Wilson Amplifier's website:
  • the square footage of their indoor boost depends on the strength of outdoor signal.
  • Full outdoor strength signal is -50dB, and you have to at least -105dB for a booster to work. In 2014, FCC put in regs maxing amplified gain at 50dB so they wouldn't interfere with cell towers.

• They'd have the FCC down at the Fort Lauderdale and Miami Boat Shows with meters looking for yachts with cell phone hoosters and fine them $10k because they would cause the towers to occilate or something and knock them offline.....I don't turn them on unless we're a few miles offshore.

Ignored facts
    still exist
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by jimmy123x:

They'd have the FCC down at the Fort Lauderdale and Miami Boat Shows with meters looking for yachts with cell phone hoosters and fine them $10k because they would cause the towers to occilate or something and knock them offline.....I don't turn them on unless we're a few miles offshore.

If you buy one of the FCC Part 90 acceptable ones and follow the instructions you are GTG. Expect fines only if you bring in one from Asia or buy some knock off on ebay.

If you install it correctly, worst case is you may be told to shut it down by a Phone Carrier or FCC. But no fines.

That said, a few years ago, the rules for boosters changed, and the rules were somewhat relaxed for the boosters, in particular for non-fixed locations, so maybe this was before the rule changes.

----------------------
    Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10991 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by radioman:
    quote:
    Originally posted by jimmy123x:

They'd have the FCC down at the Fort Lauderdale and Miami Boat Shows with meters looking for yachts with cell phone hoosters and fine them $10k because they would cause the towers to occilate or something and knock them offline.....I don't turn them on unless we're a few miles offshore.

If you buy one of the FCC Part 90 acceptable ones and follow the instructions you are GTG. Expect fines only if you bring in one from Asia or buy some knock off on ebay.

If you install it correctly, worst case is you may be told to shut it down by a Phone Carrier or FCC. But no fines.

That said, a few years ago, the rules for boosters changed, and the rules were somewhat relaxed for the boosters, in particular for non-fixed locations, so maybe this was before the rule changes.

Before the rules changed, and they were putting them on yachts long before anyone on land was......of course these same units are still installed in those same yachts. Same with FLIR, we've had heavy duty ones you can zoom in with, adjust the direction (remotely) that show on a bridge screen for probably at least 7 years now.

posted Hide Post
    We use a Wilson DT4G at out camp. Works on both Verizon and AT&T phones for us. Before the booster, we could barely get out a text, a phone call was made with one leg out of the outhouse and a hand on the door frame....Now from inside the camp we can, text, call, surf, stream videos. It's only good for the interior of the camp. We basically got it so you could get out a call in case of an emergency, but being able to access You Tube has helped troubleshoot the water pump, fix the four wheeler, ect...Paid somewhere in the mid three hundreds for it from Walmart.com.

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    The Unmanned Writer
    Picture of LS1 GTO
    posted Hide Post
    Can't you just slap one of those copper antenna do-hickies onto the back of the phone's case and call it GIG? Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14057 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post