SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bed/mattress questions
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bed/mattress questions Login/Join 
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted
I posted a couple weeks ago that my wife and I bought a new mattress and we both hate it and were looking to buy a mattress topper to make it palatable. We just came to the conclusion that we have to return it (we have to wait 30 days from the purchase date so we are stuck with it until July 1), but now I'm looking at what to get.

Both of us are large/heavy people. I sleep primarily on my stomach and back and she sleeps on her side. She seems to like to hug the edge of the bed for some reason.

I'm likely going to buy the replacement from Costco.

We are looking for a CalKing size.

Foam or coil?

Boxsprings (how our bed is setup now) or convert it to a platform?

What says the Sigforum hive mind?

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4253 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Following, as our Tempurpedic is about 10-11 yrs & getting some sag to it.

Curious if any of the 'bed in a box' are worth it at the much lower cost than the Tempurpedic.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 16013 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Very happy with our Purple mattress. Upgraded from our Sleep Number.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7292 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
We have a Tempurpedic that we bought a little too stiff. I love it, but my wife does not. We put a Lucid topper on it, and it's a dream. Make sure you get a cooling topper, there are many. Plus, the topper slows mattress sag.

Posts: 4099 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Tempurpedic.
Best mattress we've ever had by far.
The price may seem high but it's outlasted anything else by far so the cost per day is probably lower, or at least no more, than lesser products.

Posts: 9833 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
We bought an American Bedding Company flippable last year. We wanted a firm mattress and are very happy with ours. We wanted a Simmons but they no longer offered something to match what we wanted.

Posts: 11292 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Research Helix to at least get some info on them.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19763 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I am a leaf
on the wind...
posted Hide Post
I’ve had a tempur pedic going on more than 20 years now. Still going strong with no need to replace anytime soon. After trying many high end coil springs that always started sagging right away and my wife todsing snd turning all night long, the tempur-pedic has no sag and the very first night my wife never moved. First time in many years. The foam is getting a little soft on my side but nothing like a sag. And amazing to have held up for 23 or 24 years and 3 moves.

Posts: 2162 | Location: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: August 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Sterns & Foster makes some nice firm coil mattresses that maintain the outer edge. A lot of foam or hybrid were too soft on the edge for us. You really need to take multiple trips to mattress stores to get a good sense of them.

Posts: 17944 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't buy a foam mattress. From my limited experience sleeping on foam mattress I will take my coil spring any day.

Maybe I haven't sleep on a good foam mattress but the ones I have I have not been happy with.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16452 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I've had my Stearns and Foster pillowtop for almost 30 years now. I still come home after trips (usually Hyatt or Hilton) and consider my bed more comfortable. It was top of the line and expensive back then ($2000+). But it's still great and going strong. Ymmv.

I'm curious about tempurpedic but no regrets with my bed.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13112 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
I've converted all the beds in out house to foam on platforms.

Think of a foam mattress bed, as far as support and comfort, as a water bed without the motion. The only bed I've ever slept on that came close to that comfort level was a Sleep Number bed.

I'm about 250lb and wouldn't suggest a foam mattress less than 10" thick

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14252 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
Maybe I haven't sleep on a good foam mattress but the ones I have I have not been happy with.

I'll bet they were too thin

Posts: 14252 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
A lot of foam or hybrid were too soft on the edge for us.

The issue with soft edges is often because folks want to put a foam mattress on a box spring.

What you want is a solid platform to place the mattress on

posted Hide Post
Very happy with my Purple which I have had for about 5 years or so. I am a side sleeper.

Posts: 826 | Registered: February 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
I'm really starting to lean towards the Novaform Serafina Pearl in Medium firmness.

I'm thinking I'm going to buy cedar 1x6's to fit tightly in our bedframe to replace having a boxspring so that the 14" mattress sits lower.

Posts: 4253 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We purchased our last four beds from a smallish family owned mattress store ,
They make made to order beds .

They have four store fronts with two dozen bed choices in each, setving28 counties in eastern Iowa and western Illinois.

But all can be customized.perbyour request.

There is only one person to deal with, and one other person that makes the bed.

Instead of 7 people that have to micro manage everything.

Product knowledge, customer service, quality control , warranty and pricing has been very good and very competitive.

You might consider a Bob's bed or Tony's mattress in the future.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55208 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevH:

You said both of you are large / heavy people. I don't know which way you're larger but check out the dimensions of a cal king versus a king size bed.

A standard Kind size bed is 76 in wide by 80 in long while a California king size bed is 72 in wide by 84 in long. So going to a Cal King will give you a bed 4" narrower although 4" longer. Is that what you want?

I was surprised when I found this out myself.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20075 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
quote:
Originally posted by KevH:

You said both of you are large / heavy people. I don't know which way you're larger but check out the dimensions of a cal king versus a king size bed.

A standard Kind size bed is 76 in wide by 80 in long while a California king size bed is 72 in wide by 84 in long. So going to a Cal King will give you a bed 4" narrower although 4" longer. Is that what you want?

I was surprised when I found this out myself.

I'm 6'3" so longer is better hence the CA King.

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Very happy with two Simmons Beautyrest mattresses I have.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39286 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post