SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2003 4 Runner starting/electrical question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2003 4 Runner starting/electrical question Login/Join 
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted
Sometimes it starts right up, most times it won't. This started about 3 days ago. Went to start it in the morning, opened door, chimes and lights come on normally, turn key, *almost* nothing. No cranking, maybe a starter solenoid click on first key turn-unclear if the solenoid click was heard. All dash lights work; chime sounds are strong. Try a couple of more times to start, nothing save for faint electrical "fizz" sound. Noted corrosion on terminals; tried to jump-no improvement. Left it for later.

Three hours later, tried again to start-started like normal-fired right up. Turned off, turned on, no problems. Cleaned terminals anyway as good as I could with wire brush, tried to start-no problem. Starts strong, no weak cranking.

Next morning, first attempt no-go; second attempt fires right up. Used all day. Never shutting off.

Next morning try to start-only electrical "fizz" sound, but strong dash lights and chimes. Try several more times-same "no result."

At this point, I'm going to try replacing the battery… But is there anything I'm missing?

I'd be more confident of the battery being bad if I could hear the starter solenoid click, but it is not audible.

I am also thinking of a loose battery cable...

This has been a pretty reliable vehicle since we purchased it in 2009.

Ideas or suggestions before I go crawling in the snow and cold?

Thanks!

Posts: 2933 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
I had a 1998, and it did the same thing. The starter was good, but the solenoid was bad. I replaced both, and never had another issue. Before you remove it, inspect the connections to the starter for loose / damaged wiring. That would cause the same issues.

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2495 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Possible neutral safety switch. Next time it doesn't start, push the shifter forward.

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
My guess is the starter solenoid or starter solenoid contacts if the battery is good. These are usually the weak link in the system. If you can find a real denso starter solenoid repair kit it might be worth while. Most all of the other aftermarket starter parts for toyota are junk. Toyota usually won't sell a kit. If that is the case I usually by a remanufactured starter from toyota. I would not touch an aftermarket rebulit starter as they don't usually last and the starters are not fun to change.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Sometimes the brushes wear down so there is not much left. They will also hang up and not touch.

So the next time it happens, tap on the starter to dislodge the brushes to see if that is the problem.

Also the battery cable can get battery acid into the wire strands of the cable and cause resistance.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
1998 Tacoma w/5 Speed & 3.4 Liter had intermittent starting issues, especially when cold or wet. I replaced the solenoid with Denso repair kit and it worked for about 2 years. Finally last year, it started acting up again so I just put a new Denso starter from NAPA in it and have been happy as a clam. Not something I would like to do again, so next time it goes, so does the truck...at least that's what I keep telling myself Roll Eyes .

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
99% it's the solenoid. There was a thread on a 4Runner forum about this. Your starter is probably still good, but the solenoid is shot. I'd replace the whole thing personally (starter).

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
It's about time for the starter contacts to go out in a 2003. You Runner likely has a Bosch starter which is a very good piece. Solid performer. Those starter have copper contacts that get worn down over time. Eventually they get thin enough that contact becomes spotty. I buy them from an online source like ebay or some such. The last set I bought for one of my Toyotas cost me like 1.50 for each. There are two. Shipping was nominal. I think he charged be a couple of dollars. Got them delivered to my mail box for under 6.00. It takes longer to get the starter out than it does to replace the contacts. To be safe you might need a plunger too, but I've never had to. Anyway, there are write ups galore on the 4wheeler sites dedicated to Toyotas.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29683 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, guys. Now I've got to digest. Smile

Posts: 2933 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
A quick video that might be of help to you.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
This sounds like the classic starter solenoid contact failure, common to the Denso reduction gear starter. You can replace just those, but you still have to take the starter out and partially disassemble it. Loose/corroded battery cables are another possible cause. The ground cable connection on the lower left side of the engine block is subject to loosening and corrosion.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jelly:
My guess is the starter solenoid or starter solenoid contacts if the battery is good. These are usually the weak link in the system. If you can find a real denso starter solenoid repair kit it might be worth while. Most all of the other aftermarket starter parts for toyota are junk. Toyota usually won't sell a kit. If that is the case I usually by a remanufactured starter from toyota. I would not touch an aftermarket rebulit starter as they don't usually last and the starters are not fun to change.

It can be these things or a loose ground wire, follow the ground wire from the battery and check the condition of the connection at the other end.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
Well, the cables are tight. Terminals are clean. I think I pretty much killed the battery. Towing it to the shop. Took a look underneath there at the starter, no way I'm gonna work on that! Taken to the shop. Frown

Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
Put a Denso in it. Even rebuilt. They are better than the other chinese shit. Worth the extra cost.

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcereuss:
Well, the cables are tight. Terminals are clean. I think I pretty much killed the battery. Towing it to the shop. Took a look underneath there at the starter, no way I'm gonna work on that! Taken to the shop. Frown

So you just can't "see" yourself working on it?

Sorry, just a poor attempt at humor.

Good luck to you on the repairs, I hope you have a good independent mechanic.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
Solenoid, relay, ignition switch.

Or, for a really off the wall chance. Crankshaft position sensor.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
egregore has it, replace the contacts and plunger in the solenoid. This will fix the issue. I have replaced several, the starter motor itself is very stout.

Posts: 5197 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:

Get everything worked out yet?

SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
Starter and solenoid replaced; but working unpredictably. Have to take it back to the shop. When we go to try to start it, sometimes it spins and spins without the solenoid engaging, sometimes fires right up. Maybe we got a bad rebuilt. At any rate, it did appear to be the solenoid (at least).

posted Hide Post
quote:
Starter and solenoid replaced; but working unpredictably. Have to take it back to the shop. When we go to try to start it, sometimes it spins and spins without the solenoid engaging, sometimes fires right up. Maybe we got a bad rebuilt. At any rate, it did appear to be the solenoid (at least).

One of two things. The Bendix is bad in the starter (bad rebuild).

Other is you have a bad electrical connection or wire and the starter is not getting enough juice to kick the bendix out. You really need to start OHMing all of the wires.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post