SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I just learned how two lesbian women can have a baby…together. (I’m not kidding)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I just learned how two lesbian women can have a baby…together. (I’m not kidding) Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted
I just found out that it is common practice for two lesbian women to have a baby together with a man.
Woman 1 gives up her eggs. They are fertilized with sperm from a donor. The fertilized eggs are placed in Woman 2’s uterus. The baby grows and is delivered. I understand why they would want to do this, but seriously, WTF?

Does this kid have the DNA of three people?

This is like Dolly the lamb. I think we might be going a bit far with science. What are the health risks? I don’t know a lot about this topic, I’m pretty ignorant to it, honestly. I do feel like there could be some really unexpected side effects. When happens when these children reproduce?

WTF is all I can think of.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4291 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m pretty sure the baby does not get any DNA from “woman 2” in your scenario.

Posts: 1172 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
A semi-educated guess: it would only have the DNA of the original sperm and egg suppliers, not the surrogate mother's.

Posts: 28587 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:

No.

In vitro fertilization. It's been going on for years. They're just putting the embryo in a different uterus than the (egg) donor's. Not a big deal, unless you consider all of the other embryos that they kill.

Posts: 20520 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
They also do this when one woman cannot carry a child, but her eggs are still good, implanting them in a surrogate. There's really no risks, aside from the usual associated with pregnancy itself.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17079 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It won’t. The cells are already there they just multiply. The only thing he or she will get from mom 2 is O2, nutrition, and a home.

Posts: 1151 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Well color me stupid.

I still think it’s weird.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4291 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
As already mentioned, just developing in a different uterus will not transfer any host DNA to the egg. So only 2 haploid sets.

But I would wonder why the egg is transferred to the other woman. Just so they both can participate in the birthing process?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16826 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
But I would wonder why the egg is transferred to the other woman. Just so they both can participate in the birthing process?

Yes, that is exactly why. Plus the eggs came from the butch woman and the ladylike woman carried the children.

Both women were really nice, and their kids were really awesome, well behaved, polite children. I have to honestly say, they are a really nice family.

It just doesn’t sit very well with me for some reason.

quote:
The “lol” thread

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Two Lesbo's want a baby. Just screw a guy and be done with it. Might take a couple tries. All the better.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19674 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised none of the legal experts here mentioned it, but....

where it gets interesting is if they "divorce" and both want a claim on the child as the "parent"

Done correctly there is some paperwork to be done up front, but if not, it becomes messy quick with the poor child left in the middle.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11079 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
You forgot the part where they then sue the sperm donor for child support.

Posts: 45529 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
What if they went through all of that and then woman 2 decided to get an abortion…

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9183 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fill your hands
you son of a bitch
posted Hide Post
Well in the old days they just called David Crosby.

Posts: 467 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Well, that makes sense, but I never considered the rationale. I’m not sure if it’s like that every lesbian case, but I could see why. Clarify: I just saw you note that it was common. I know a few couples, and I don’t believe that was the situation with them, but frankly, I’ve never asked for specifics; I just know the dom carried at least 1 of their 2.

And I think that’s how they worked it. Where one carried one child and the other carried the other, with donor males. No swapping eggs. That seems like a ridiculous waste of money to me and a higher risk for the embryo, all so someone can feel more involved? Jesus, I hope every dad here feels involved enough without having to go through all that.

Interestingly enough, I remember reading a study in the recent past that found the child’s DNA in the birthmother’s brain.. male child, anyway (that was how they knew, because they were Y chromosomes). So maybe check that birth mom’s DNA! Interesting study.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5490 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Two Lesbo's want a baby. Just screw a guy and be done with it. Might take a couple tries. All the better.

or you could use a Turkey baster, it has been done.

Posts: 3745 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Upon birth, gestational mom can develop antibodies to both the “dad” and her wife. If she ever needs a transplant she’s been sensitized to the child and her wife and will need to look outside that immediate family space.
Admittedly a remote concern, until it’s you.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1130 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
Immunities are passed to the child during gestation, birth and breast feeding. So the child indeed has contributions from both women.

Posts: 9709 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 400m:
It won’t. The cells are already there they just multiply. The only thing he or she will get from mom 2 is O2, nutrition, and a home.
And maybe benefit from child support when the "loving couple" invariably breaks up a few years down the road.

No! What am I saying? The dude would be the one who'd be paying.

Posts: 6740 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:

This is genetics, not bean cooking. Razz

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12641 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post