SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best way to remove tile backer board over partical board
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best way to remove tile backer board over partical board Login/Join 
posted
Started a bathroom remodel for my daughter and floor is partical board then tile backer board and then tile on top. This is all over 1/2” plywood. What is the best way to get the backer board up? It looks like hardi backer board and not the typical gray cement board. No screws are visible through the mud mixture that adhered the tile to the backer board.

Posts: 187 | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If they did it right there should be screws, its likely you just can't see them. Im remodeling my bathroom and used a heavy duty 12" flat top screw driver and crowbar to pull up the old cement board and plywood. Backer board shouldn't to difficult to pry up but I'm not a professional contractor so you'll probably get better advice from someone else.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I'd pull the particle board up along with it.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Renting an electric demolition hammer for a day would be worth the money, the rental place should have the appropriate attachment. If the job is new enough that they used Hardi they probably used backerboard screws to put it down.

Posts: 3448 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In a former life, I frequently ran into backer board put down with roofing nails.

I second removing the particle board.

Posts: 767 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post