SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How many here lived through the Cuban Missile Crisis?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many here lived through the Cuban Missile Crisis? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I was in my early elementary school years. Duck and cover drill in the inside hallways at school were a regular thing. In later years I realized how much in the target zone I might have been. I'm sure that back in that day ICBM's were probably not super accurate(with a nuke, don't have to be). We lived in the middle of the East Texas oil and gas fields and Barksdale AFB was only 50-60 miles away, We were either a secondary target or at risk if a missile overshot its intended target.

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1527 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
I was almost 2, so, I did live through it.

That's about it.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can you imagine the absolute panic if something like that happens today. Social media and the msn would cause total chaos.

I lived through it but was in diapers and had other things on my mind at the time.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I was 9 in a Chicago suburb. I remember the drills in school. The desks we hid under must have been built better than they are now. Roll Eyes

I don't remember it affecting us at home.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I was born during the crisis does that count.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3694 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I was 4 and living in another country...

but I guess I lived through it Smile

as did everyone else on the planet

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53188 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was crapping my pants every day. Literally. I was 9 months old at the time.

My 1,000th post. And I'm talking about crapping my pants.....gotta love it. Wink

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I was eight years old, I remember my mother being quite concerned for my ten year older brother who was in the Marines at that time.

Also remember the drills at school going into the basement and sitting on the floor, putting our heads between our knees and kissing our ass's goodbye.

Posts: 13681 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I was ten. I do not remember any drills or duck and cover in school.

What I do remember was the radio and television coverage.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8108 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of buckeye1
posted Hide Post
Well I"m late to the thread. I was almost 32 years old. Worked for an architectural firm and were required to provide 10% of construction cost for shelter area in public buildings. Most of us were either WWII or Korean vets and thought it was dumb.

Buckeye1

Posts: 51 | Location: Phoenix Az. | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArLEOret:
I was stationed at Sheppard AFB. We were on alert. Had a XNavy SEAL there that reupped in the AF and he was notified to be ready to be called back.

Doubtful he was an ex-SEAL as the program was just 10 months old.

maybe an original bell ringer of the program?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I remember it well. Living in southern Texas (North Mexico) at the time. Now its clear to me that unless the Russkies want to kill a bunch of citrus trees and wet backs, I was pretty safe.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loved those Texas
one room schools
posted Hide Post
I went down to talk to an Air Force recruiter. He said, "You're married with children. Go home" That's the closest I got to being a fighter pilot.

"Louis was furious with the sharks. He thought they had an understanding: The men would stay out of the sharks' turf - the water - and the sharks would stay off theirs - the raft...If the sharks were going to try to eat him, he was going to try to eat them." From Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

Posts: 1862 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:
Originally posted by ArLEOret:
I was stationed at Sheppard AFB. We were on alert. Had a XNavy SEAL there that reupped in the AF and he was notified to be ready to be called back.

Doubtful he was an ex-SEAL as the program was just 10 months old.

maybe an original bell ringer of the program?

Not doubtful. Likely a UDT man, who are grouped, by common association, with SEALs. Their existence extends well before the SEAL program emerged.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5646 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was 28, had been to Korea at the end of that crisis, had finished my ready reserve obligation, finished school and was trying to build a career.

I don't remember feeling particularly threatened, but I certainly thought that the Kennedys were a worthless pair, and I should have been more worried than I remember being.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldRoger:
I should have been more worried than I remember being.

As worried as most people were at various times during the Cold War, the things I learned after its end (or the end of the First one) scared me far more than what I knew at the time. Part of that was obviously due to the requirements of military secrecy, part was Executive Branch decisions to avoid causing more fear than there already was, and part was—I’m convinced—due to the desire of the then-developing leftist BS media to help promote the myth that their Communist buddies were the harmless, peace-loving folk they claimed to be.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neel
posted Hide Post
10 years old, duck and cover as taught by nuns in elementary school. I remember seeing orange fallout shelter signs everywhere. I was in Hartford Conn.

Posts: 559 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sgt Neutron:
I was crapping my pants every day. Literally. I was 9 months old at the time.

Me too, although I was 4 months old.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I don't remember anything about it. I wonder what I knew that somebody wanted me to forget. Actually, I would have been four years old.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
I was 18 at the time and didn't hear a thing about it until it was well over. I was right in the middle of boot camp in San Diego and we had no idea what was going on in the outside world.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post