SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Jersey Park Closed After 2 Coyote Attacks In 1 Hour, Several Dangerous Animals Spotted In Area
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
New Jersey Park Closed After 2 Coyote Attacks In 1 Hour, Several Dangerous Animals Spotted In Area Login/Join 
Picture of sgalczyn
posted
NJ Sheep(le) are easy prey........................

MAHWAH, N.J. (CBSNewYork) – Two coyote attacks reported in New Jersey have closed down a local park over fears of more dangerous animals lurking.

Both attacks happened at the Ramapo Valley County Reservation in Mahwah around 2 p.m. Saturday.

Police say a woman drove herself to a nearby hospital after being bitten by a wild coyote.

A man then took his dog to the vet after reportedly it was also attacked at the reservation.

Authorities say several coyotes have been spotted in the area and they have closed the park as a precaution.

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2...park-coyote-attacks/

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4580 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Report This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a lot of bobcats and coyotes in our neighborhood. The bobcats eat some squirrels, which is fine with me.

People have called the city and Texas Parks and Wildlife, and are told there is nothing they can do. Which is true.

Posts: 3954 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Being New Jersey; just post some "No Dangerous Animals Allowed" signs.

No one ever needs a gun for self defense. Roll Eyes

Posts: 1352 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Report This Post
Picture of Sig M11
posted Hide Post
Mahway, NJ.

Nice township that borders the NY State line. I dated a girl in college from that neck of the woods. It is pretty wooded out that way...not surprising.

Speaking of Bobcats. Last year, I was at a Wolf Sanctuary in NorthWest NJ and they had a Bobcat...

Learned that to rebuild the NJ Bobcat population they traded Maine for Turkeys...

Posts: 1406 | Location: Wilmington, Delaware | Registered: February 05, 2004Report This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Two coyote attacks reported in New Jersey have closed down a local park over fears of more dangerous animals lurking.

Unless lions, tigers or bears (oh my) escaped from a zoo, I think it pretty unlikely there are more dangerous animals lurking in Noo Joisey. Roll Eyes This is of concern, however:
quote:
Police say a woman drove herself to a nearby hospital after being bitten by a wild coyote.

To get rabies shots, I hope. Unless people are feeding them, coyotes are usually fearful of humans, unless they are rabid.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Report This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Well you can’t own guns in NJ so....

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Report This Post
Picture of Sig M11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:

You can own guns...

You just can't have any magazines over 10 rounds.

You can't have any hollow point ammunition.

If you have either...Felony.

The 10 round magazine law was put in place last December (2018). All magazines had to be converted to 10 rounds permanently by the deadline. No GrandFather of existing property.

And the masses went along with it...

I think the Gov and the State AG have dreams of higher office someday...

Posts: 1406 | Location: Wilmington, Delaware | Registered: February 05, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually, they didn't go long with it. The compliance rate for turn in was virtually zero.

Posts: 17145 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig M11:

False

quote:

Of course you can. Don't be silly.

quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Unless lions, tigers or bears (oh my) escaped from a zoo, I think it pretty unlikely there are more dangerous animals lurking in Noo Joisey. Roll Eyes

New Jersey does have black bears in fact.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Two coyote attacks reported in New Jersey have closed down a local park over fears of more dangerous animals lurking.

Unless lions, tigers or bears (oh my) escaped from a zoo, I think it pretty unlikely there are more dangerous animals lurking in Noo Joisey. Roll Eyes
Haven't been to Newark lately?

Posts: 6477 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Report This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Actually, they didn't go long with it. The compliance rate for turn in was virtually zero.

Not true. Turn-in wasn't required and I can tell you that the majority of gun owners have complied with this law. What's virtually zero is NJ residents motivation to fight against unjust firearm related laws.

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pessimist:
quote:

Not true. Turn-in wasn't required and I can tell you that the majority of gun owners have complied with this law. What's virtually zero is NJ residents motivation to fight against unjust firearm related laws.

How could you possibly know that?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by pessimist:
quote:

How could you possibly know that?

I assume you're referring to compliance? I belong to one of the major clubs and I meet with members from other clubs and unaffiliated shooters at the various matches and events. We're all on the same team so there's no reason to bullshit each other. People either modified their mags, shipped them out of state to family, sent them to Gunsitters or disposed of them on their own.

I'm sure there are still many "illegal" mags in state by those who recognize that there is no mechanism for enforcement other than catching you red handed. However, in general, people in NJ seem genuinely fearful of breaking any law. I can tell you definitively, you will not find the Spirit of America in NJ.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
We recently discussed this in another thread, which detailed the ongoing fight by a number of NJ residents to retain their "illegal" high capacity magazines.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/9220017064

Posts: 32515 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Unless lions, tigers or bears (oh my) escaped from a zoo, I think it pretty unlikely there are more dangerous animals lurking in Noo Joisey. Roll Eyes This is of concern, however:
quote:

To get rabies shots, I hope. Unless people are feeding them, coyotes are usually fearful of humans, unless they are rabid.

A buddy of mine lived up there years ago and he had bear in his backyard....filmed it.

I would be more concerned about the animals in Paterson though

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Report This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
SIL took pics of a black bear wandering through her back yard in Mendham recently. Not a small one either.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Report This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Report This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

You can own guns...

Yes you can own a gun, but you can't carry it. What good is a handgun if its at home locked up and not in your possession when you face a coyote (or a 2 legged predator in Paterson, Newark, Camden, etc...)?

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Report This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well, you can 'purchase' hollow point in NJ....It's just that the 'posession' of hollow point ammunition that's illegal in New Jermany! Roll Eyes

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8888 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Report This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
Well, you can 'purchase' hollow point in NJ....It's just that the 'posession' of hollow point ammunition that's illegal in New Jermany! Roll Eyes

No, it isn't. You can legally possess hollowpoints in your home or land you own, or while transporting the hollowpoints to/from the place of purchase and your home/land. You can also possess hollowpoints while hunting, or traveling to/from hunting.

https://www.njsp.org/firearms/...rt-hollowpoint.shtml

Posts: 32515 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post