SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pentagon Commander Reveals 'Alarming' Number Of Drone Incursions At US-Mexico Border over 1000 each month.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pentagon Commander Reveals 'Alarming' Number Of Drone Incursions At US-Mexico Border over 1000 each month. Login/Join 
posted
https://www.zerohedge.com/geop...ons-us-mexico-border

A large number of drone incursions are happening at the U.S.-Mexico border, a U.S. Department of Defense official said on March 14.

“It’s my understanding, there’s been a lot of drone incursions along our southern border. How many drone incursions have we had and what are they doing?” Sen. Ted Budd (R-N.C.) asked Air Force Gen. Gregory Guillot during a Senate hearing.

“I don’t know the actual number—I don’t think anybody does—but it’s in the thousands,” Gen. Guillot said.

He later added that there are likely more than 1,000 incursions happening at the border per month.

The general, who became commander of U.S. Northern Command (NORTHCOM) and the North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD) in February, said he recently spoke with U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) and Department of Justice officials learned about the surprising number of incursions. He described becoming alarmed.

Are the incursions a defense threat to the homeland?

“They alarm me from being the person responsible for homeland defense,” Gen. Guillot said. “I haven’t seen any of them manifest in a threat to the level of national defense but I see the potential only growing.”

NORAD is a United States and Canadian organization whose work includes “the detection, validation, and warning of attack against North America whether by aircraft, missiles, or space vehicles, through mutual support arrangements with other commands.” NORTHCOM leads the military’s homeland defense efforts.

The hearing was held by the Senate Armed Services Committee. The subject of Mexican military incursions at the border did not come up.

Sen. Jack Reed (D-R.I.), chairman of the committee, inquired as to whether military base commanders were equipped with standard operating procedures in dealing with unmanned aircraft.

“The services do have authorities, but work remains to be done to ensure that … we have standardized operating procedures to address those threats,” Gen. Guillot said. “And also work remains to be done to be able to use especially the non-kinetic capabilities that can bring down those systems safely, without interfering with our airspace structure.”

He said he was planning to recommend to the Pentagon and Congress ways NORAD can help develop those procedures after a 90-day assessment of NORAD and NORTHCOM is finished.

Other Comments From New Commander
Gen. Guillot also touched on a number of additional subjects during the hearing, his first since taking command.

At one point, he said he was concerned about how many Chinese nationals are crossing into the United States.

“The number of Chinese that are coming across the border is a big concern of mine,” he said. “In fact, in the short period of time that I’ve been in command, I’ve gone down to the southern border to talk to the agents and leadership about that. And then I’ve also spoken with the acting commissioner of the CBP on this subject.”

He added: “What concerns me most about specifically the Chinese migrants is—one, that they’re so centralized in one location on the border. And two, is while many may be political refugees, other explanations, the ability for counterintelligence to hide in plain sight in those numbers.”

Gen. Guillot also disclosed that Russia flew bombers near U.S. and Canadian airspace earlier in March but turned back before reaching the Air Defense Identification Zone, and said Chinese planes could follow.

Gen. Guillot also told lawmakers that NORAD has improved its radars since officials allowed a Chinese balloon into American airspace in 2023.

“That has allowed us to have better domain awareness in that,” he said. Gaps in the system, he added, are slated to be address by a new radar being introduced.

Posts: 12813 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And Langley AFB:

Mysterious Drones Swarmed Langley AFB For Weeks

The unidentified drones were such an issue that assets were called in from around the government, including a NASA WB-57 high-altitude jet.

BY JOSEPH TREVITHICK, TYLER ROGOWAY
PUBLISHED MAR 15, 2024 7:29 PM EDT

Langley Air Force Base, located in one of the most strategic areas of the country, across the Chesapeake Bay from the sprawling Naval Station Norfolk and the open Atlantic, was at the epicenter of waves of mysterious drone incursions that occurred throughout December. The War Zone has been investigating these incidents and the response to them for months. We know that they were so troubling and persistent that they prompted bringing in advanced assets from around the U.S. government, including one of NASA's WB-57F high-flying research planes. Now the U.S. Air Force has confirmed to us that they did indeed occur and provided details on the timeframe and diversity of drones involved.

This spate of bizarre drone incursions deeply underscores the still-growing threats that uncrewed aerial systems present on and off traditional battlefields, and to military and critical civilian infrastructure, issues The War Zone has been highlighting in great detail for years.

"The installation first observed UAS [uncrewed aerial systems] activities the evening of December 6 [2023] and experienced multiple incursions throughout the month of December. The number of UASs fluctuated and they ranged in size/configuration," a spokesperson for Langley Air Force Base told The War Zone in a statement earlier today. "None of the incursions appeared to exhibit hostile intent but anything flying in our restricted airspace can pose a threat to flight safety. The FAA was made aware of the UAS incursions..."

Complete article:

https://www.twz.com/air/myster...angley-afb-for-weeks

Posts: 15930 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38040 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Uhhh...Gen Guillot? Let forget the "non kinetic capabilities" and just shoot the damn things down.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16180 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Why is the so-called ‘smart people’ are so uniformly stupid

Posts: 53334 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post