SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How accurate are consumer PulseOx meters?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How accurate are consumer PulseOx meters? Login/Join 
Picture of papaac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
The new Apple Watch 6 and 7 have quite a bit of medical/health monitoring capabilities, exercise to oxygen content.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211027

You can setup the Health app to monitor specific things, and to notify you of the results or abnormalities.

It also has a fall sensor, you've probably seen the ads on TV, you fall, don't respond and it notifies 911

For the money, it's a pretty good deal, and you can tell time... Big Grin

I always thought the Apple watch was a gimmick. Last year I bought my wife and me a 6. 2 days later I fell and the watch picked up on it. It lets you know when you're in A-fib or have a high heart rate.

"Among a people generally corrupt, liberty cannot long exist." Edmund Burke

Posts: 4974 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: August 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I have one from Amazon and a recent Apple watch.
They both vary a similar amount. Take a few breaths and they are at high 90's to 100%.
They seem about the same as the ones at the doctor.
My understanding is that you are looking at the range, not a specific number at a moment in time. Mine is sometimes in the high 80's for a moment but usually 92-100.

Posts: 9516 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
I flipped my finger around so that the nail is on the little light instead of my fingerprint.
But that doesn’t mesh with the manual.
Were you born in the southern hemisphere?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
The one I bought read 98 when my mother was in the hospital. The hospital’s Philips machine on the wall read 92. They’re junk imo.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Could be that the measurement device you use at home is different than the Hospital, an explanation is below

Link

Measuring your Levels

Oxygen saturation is usually measured one of two ways: arterial blood gas test (ABG or Sa02) and pulse oximetry (Sp02).

ABG is usually only done in a hospital setting, while pulse oximetry is done in a variety of healthcare settings, including your healthcare provider's office.

ABG
An ABG value refers to the levels of oxygen and carbon dioxide in blood running through your veins.

A nurse or lab technician draws blood from an artery, such as the radial artery in the wrist or the femoral artery in the groin. The sample is immediately analyzed by a machine or in a lab.

The ABG value can give your healthcare provider a sense of how efficiently the hemoglobin exchanges oxygen and carbon dioxide.

Pulse Oximetry
Similarly, a pulse oximetry reading reflects the percentage of oxygen found in arterial blood.3

Unlike the ABG test, pulse oximetry is non-invasive. The test uses a sensor to read wavelengths reflected from the blood. This probe is simply attached to your finger, earlobe, or another place on the body. Results appear on a screen within a few seconds.

People can monitor their oxygen saturation levels using wearable pulse oximetry devices; some watches even have this feature. You can buy a pulse oximetry device at your local pharmacy or online.

Oxygen Saturation Levels
Reading ABG Level O Sat Result
Below Normal < 80 mm Hg < 95%
Normal > 80 mm Hg 95% to 100%

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I use one every day to check my numbers. My unit alwys seems to give lower numbers than those at a clinic I used to frequent (but has closed). I have noticed that even a few deep breaths will move the O2 level up a lot, and a little movement shoots up the pulse number. For consistency it is necessary to keep conditions the same. Be at rest for a couple of minutes (sit quietly) and breathe normally. I like to keep O2 at 95 or above, but don't panic unless it falls below 90.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought one when I was having some heart irregularities. To check its accuracy, I took it with me on a doctors appointment. The readings between the Docs and mine were almost identical.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16094 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post