SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Apple Watch
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Apple Watch Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
The sport loops are nylon and they look "different". Never used one, probably won't try because I've never used nylon anything that won't get wet and smell funky. The posted picture ones I guarantee will smell bad. I wish I knew someone with the sport loop because if you are right (and your smeller is right lol) that would be a nice option.

I have washed nylon bands in soap and water, in the washing machine, with vinegar, etc. and have never found the magic that gets rid of stink.

Slightly off topic, but relevant and I should have tried is 20 mule team borax. I too have done half marathons and I used to run in cotton. Back then it was what you did. T shirts would get the funk no matter how much you washed them. You could take them out of the dryer and they smelled fine, then add one drop of sweat and it smelled like the end of a run. Ugh. Then a buddy told me about 20 Mule Team Borax. That stuff is magic.

Posts: 7342 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
The posted picture ones I guarantee will smell bad. I wish I knew someone with the sport loop because if you are right (and your smeller is right lol) that would be a nice option.

Nail brush and Dawn. Keeps my sport band fresh and clean.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
The rubbery Apple band is perfect for working out.
Yup. Not my favorite watch band, but, after a workout you just wipe if off and you're good.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26005 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yea, I am just going to say your workouts and mine aren't the same if a nail brush and Dawn soap kill the smell.

I have worn nylon bands for years. Exercised a ton. Sweated at work a ton.

Nylon gets wet and it starts to smell. All you guys saying you wash it with soap or Dawn or whatever, either you aren't getting it wet much or your watch band smells and you just don't notice it.

When I wore nylon I just got in the habit of buying new ones because there is no way to magically make them smell new. Think old slipper and then times it by 10.

Apple got this one right.

Posts: 7342 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I ordered one of the nylon sport bands recommended above, but must admit I have no problems at all with the Apple rubber sport band.

Posts: 18014 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
If someone is looking for a 7 or earlier watch, woot has them today, the 7 for $259 to $289, they are scratch and dent models but they have 41 and 45, several colors gps or gps and cellular.

Link

Posts: 23235 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

If someone is looking for a 7 or earlier watch, woot has them today, the 7 for $259 to $289, they are scratch and dent models but they have 41 and 45, several colors gps or gps and cellular.

Link
Genuine Apple re-furbs are about two hundred bucks more. What you do get, for that $200, is:
  • New battery

• All new outer case and crystal

• Full Apple warranty, same as a new retail Watch

• Eligible for Apple Care
The re-furbed 7's that I see on the Apple website are the 45mm model, GPS and cellular, in the Stainless Steel case -- case and crystal are more scratch resistant than the aluminum case models. A buyer might or might not choose to spend the extra $200 for the Apple re-furb, but should consider what that couple hundred bucks will buy, vs. the Woot offering. It would be a coin-flip for me, not sure which way I would go, but that's academic as my current Watch is just fine.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30541 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Genuine Apple re-furbs are about two hundred bucks more. What you do get, for that $200, is:

For some, $200 is the deal maker or breaker, it's good to have options either way...

Posts: 23235 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Meh, I guess it's just my way. I'm not one to go back a version even though it may have most of the features I might want. I'll just spend the extra few bucks and get the latest-greatest. Smart? perhaps not but that's how I'm wired. Then; I do tend to keep them around for awhile.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I would never have an Apple Watch without cellular capability.

I would own a Garmin fitness watch without cellular.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

quote:
For some, $200 is the deal maker or breaker, it's good to have options either way...
Yup, that was my point. Options.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30541 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
The nylon Nereide band arrived, I'm sending it back. It's huge, wide, thick and ugly.

Posts: 18014 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
This right here. I have also found that any of the nylon bands, when they get wet, they stay wet for a long time. The rubber type bands dry very quickly and do not stink. I have several bands but found the Nomad brand and will never go back. Sometimes they will have sales for them on their website. I had a series 3 stainless and traded it in on Verizon for the Ultra. I have a submariner that my Dad gave me but always wear this Ultra. I love the size because I can actually read the screen. Also, I can leave the house without my phone and not worry. I can do basically everything with this watch that my phone can do except browse the internet. Nomad Sport Band

quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Ugh. Stay away from those nylon bands. If you workout out those things will stink. There is no way to get that funk out. You can knock it down but once it gets smelly it just is smelly. The rubbery Apple band is perfect for working out.

Posts: 3440 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wasabi
posted Hide Post
For anyone interested, Walmart has the midnight black AW 7 45mm GPS/cellular new for $329 shipped. Also, Amazon has 'renewed premium' refurbs GPS only for $299:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/App...nd-Regular/637310631

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...d=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1

I just picked up the new one from Walmart.

Posts: 731 | Location: Lutz, FL | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have to say that this and the other recent thread convinced me to upgrade my series 6 to an ultra…and I love it. It’s what I’ve wanted from an Apple Watch for quite a while now. I got it with the alpine loop in green, and I like the band so much that I just ordered the same band in orange. Absolutely zero regrets in making the purchase.

Posts: 683 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post