SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Apple Watch
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Apple Watch Login/Join 
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted
I've been using my Apple watch series 3 for 5 some years and it's served me well. I'm not a 24/7 watch guy but do wear it a lot more than I expected when I originally bought it, especially when at the gym to track times, BPM, answer brief phone calls and such. Also when we go out and I don't want to miss calls I'm expecting, but don't want to be that guy with his head in his phone. Down side of my current watch is it constantly running out of storage room and is lacking the health features I think would be beneficial for me.

I think the Ultra model is overkill for me plus the size is a bit off putting to my taste. And of course the cost. The SE doesn't bring much more to the table other than better processor and storage. So I'm leaning towards the series 8, non Cellular, aluminum version, 45MM. About $429 with the band I like.

Pros and cons? Those that have one, are the health apps accurate and reliable?

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0601935/m/7420058794

Wink

I've had my Ultra for almost a week now and I really like it. I thought that it was likely going to be too big as well, but it's really not. And I don't have particularly big wrists either. I have yet to use any of the health apps other than testing out the oximeter...which is accurate.

Posts: 19972 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
My Apple Watch SE, 1st Gen., is serving me well. I wouldn't mind having the blood oxy and EKG functions of one of the pricier versions, but, those weren't features for which I was willing to pay much more.

You do realize that, as active military or a military veteran, you're eligible for a discount direct from Apple, right?

Apple Veterans and Military Purchase Program

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25987 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

You do realize that, as active military or a military veteran, you're eligible for a discount direct from Apple, right?

Apple Veterans and Military Purchase Program

Thanks for that. I have forgotten about the discount and I'm already verified so that will save me a few bucks.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
Thanks for that. I have forgotten about the discount and I'm already verified so that will save me a few bucks.
It will. Plus you can trade in your old Series 3 and have that trade-in value counted toward your purchase price.

I did that for our iPhone upgrades (iPhone 6S'), my wife's iPad upgrade, and my Apple Watch upgrade. Very smooth, easy process.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25987 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
I went from a 1 GPS to an 8 GPS and couldn't be happier. I have checked the heartbeat and O2 sat sensor against the ones in my med. clinic and both are bang on the money. I have no reason to think the ECG app is any different, within the limits of a one lead reading.

I use the workouts and the health apps daily, along with the message, phone, and mail, although the screen is a little small for reading mail, you can at least tell whether it's something you need to address urgently.

I can leave my phone in my bag in the gym and still have connectivity to my watch - which I found out by mistake!.

I like it so much, that I bought another series 8 for my wife.

I have no experience of Apple's cellular versions or those 'smart watches' made by others.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last time this came up I posted I was gifted a Series 7 by my daughter, like it so much I bought another Series 7 here, wearing one during the day and one at night (I confess to being a time freak).

I don't know about the Series 8, but the 7 is dead on accurate, it's surprisingly rugged and if the 8 is as good or better, I think it would be hard to beat.

Bob

Posts: 1557 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
I went from a 1 GPS to an 8 GPS and couldn't be happier. I have checked the heartbeat and O2 sat sensor against the ones in my med. clinic and both are bang on the money. I have no reason to think the ECG app is any different, within the limits of a one lead reading.

I use the workouts and the health apps daily, along with the message, phone, and mail, although the screen is a little small for reading mail, you can at least tell whether it's something you need to address urgently.

I can leave my phone in my bag in the gym and still have connectivity to my watch - which I found out by mistake!.

I have no experience of Apple's cellular versions or those 'smart watches' made by others.

That's great. I'm going to go with the 8 as I described. Just need to decide on the band. Pretty sure the black with a black band will suit me. The Nike Sports band I think. I don't want to make a fashion statement, just a watch the works and doesn't look stupid on an older gentlemen

-D.H. Lawrence

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's great. I'm going to go with the 8 as I described. Just need to decide on the band. Pretty sure the black with a black band will suit me. The Nike Sports band I think.
There are hundreds of aftermarket bands at eBay, Amazon, Walmart stores, etc. They are very inexpensive and after you do it the first time and have the process figured out, it takes maybe fifteen or twenty seconds to change the band, no tools needed.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30519 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just need to decide on the band

Got one of these, in black to match the watch:

Watch band

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I’m on my fourth Apple Watch. First was a 3, then a 5, then a 7 and now the Ultra.

My 3 was an aluminum model and I beat it up a fair bit. After that I went with the SS ones for the mire durable cases and crystals.

Durability of the Ultra and the longer battery life is a plus for me.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10911 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
quote:
Just need to decide on the band

Got one of these, in black to match the watch:

Watch band

Thanks for the link. I have several I've used with my Series 3, and was most happy with the sports version with all of the vent holes as I use it at the gym.

-D.H. Lawrence

Picture of Wasabi
posted Hide Post
I'm still on an AW3 but will probably snag a deal on a 7 if I see one. I don't think I'll need the extra features the 8 gives over the 7 relative to the possible cost difference. If it's close, I'll just go 8 though. The Ultra is more than I need but the battery life sounds great. Are there matching band adapters available for the Ultra to use with other bands? I do that all the time with my 3.

Posts: 731 | Location: Lutz, FL | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
I get just over two days battery out of my 8, if I don't have the 'always on' feature selected.

Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
My wife and I went from version 2 to 4 and now thinking of moving to an 8. I can’t begin to list all of the things I use my ‘watch’ for.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4210 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wasabi:
…Are there matching band adapters available for the Ultra to use with other bands? I do that all the time with my 3.

Ultra uses same bands as the earlier versions. All my excess 45mm AW 7 bands work on my 49mm Ultra.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10911 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wasabi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
quote:
Originally posted by Wasabi:
…Are there matching band adapters available for the Ultra to use with other bands? I do that all the time with my 3.

Ultra uses same bands as the earlier versions. All my excess 45mm AW 7 bands work on my 49mm Ultra.

Thanks for the input. I was reading Amazon reviews and some folks were mentioning that there may be slight gaps left with some of the adapters available. Do 22mm bands look OK on the Ultra? I have a 22mm stingray band I use with my 3. There are 24mm bands available too but I'm wondering if there are adapters for them and if they would even work?

Posts: 731 | Location: Lutz, FL | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ugh. Stay away from those nylon bands. If you workout out those things will stink. There is no way to get that funk out. You can knock it down but once it gets smelly it just is smelly. The rubbery Apple band is perfect for working out.

Posts: 7326 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Ugh. Stay away from those nylon bands. If you workout out those things will stink. There is no way to get that funk out. You can knock it down but once it gets smelly it just is smelly. The rubbery Apple band is perfect for working out.

That's kinda what I was thinking. I had a leather band for awhile, and although it looked and felt pretty good, it was not meant for working out. I went with the Nike rubbery one with the holes. Looks good, doesn't stink and the holes allow a bit of air circulation.

-D.H. Lawrence

orareyougladtoseeme
Picture of isthatasiginyourpocket
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:

That's kinda what I was thinking. I had a leather band for awhile, and although it looked and felt pretty good, it was not meant for working out. I went with the Nike rubbery one with the holes. Looks good, doesn't stink and the holes allow a bit of air circulation.

I'm on my 3rd Apple Watch, currently the Utra. I've only used the sport loops and now the trail loop and they are by far my favorite band. I have run half marathons in the summer heat and use mine at the gym. I sweat like a whore in church and I've never had an issue with the bands stinking. I do clean mine with dish soap periodically so maybe that help, YMMV.

Posts: 2547 | Location: MN | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post