SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Your experience with gun magnets
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your experience with gun magnets Login/Join 
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted
Good Morning. I've been looking at those coated gun magnets for use on desks and in vehicles. Those of you that use them can you please provide your thoughts - which one works best for you and in what application do you use it? Also, which ones didn't work well for you? All information and opinons appreciated.

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8527 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I put a small cylindrical rare-earth magnet on the stub on the back of my Beretta 87 Target’s trigger to greatly reduce over-travel. My only experience with gun magnets. Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8976 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
Depends on your use case. I have one of these: https://www.shootpointblank.co...raw-gun-magnet-black.

It's mounted in a remote corner of a closet. It is positioned such that my shotgun is leaning against the back wall and the magnet secures the barrel. Works perfectly in that application. I wouldn't trust it for much else. The magnet resists a direct pull but not as effective for a "sliding" pull so I wouldn't use one in anything other than a static application.

One other thought, it is only my wife and I in the home and the closet isn't readily accessible by anyone else. I wouldn't consider using my approach in a home with children.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 719 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I have a couple different kinds in a couple different places.

I have one of these mounted in plain sight in my suv with a pocket knife stuck to it. Mag Not as a weapon, just a way to keep track of it and occasionally other items in an otherwise un-utilized spot.

I have one of these under a piece of furniture with a gun on it. Mag

One of these somewhere, obviously with a gun in it. Mount
A bit more fussy getting the gun in, less so out of, but probably a lot more secure if you were putting it somewhere it could be bumped or banged like in a truck.

And one of THESE which I bought and never used. I'd planned on putting it where I ended up using the mount above. I use it in that same spot to hold spare magazine.

Am I a paranoid nut with guns stashed all over the house? Not really. It was just one day I realized I have all these things, why not put some somewhere else?

]

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I’ve had one mounted on the console in my old suburban for several years. It’s a “Brand X” I bought from amazon, I believe. Holds a small pistol with a flat sided slide surprisingly well. I use it for the Kimber Micro-9 I usually carry in my pocket. Heavier pistols, like a 1911, don’t stay oriented correctly on rough roads.

Edited to add pic of Brand X magnet

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arfmel,

Posts: 26921 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I have two sets of these, they work well and could hold guns much heavier than Glocks

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Posts: 5334 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first time you set your phone, iPad, or computer near one, will probably be the time you decided to use a holster, instead.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I magnet mount my iPhone to my dash all the time.

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
I magnet mount my iPhone to my dash all the time.

Wow ! I'm impressed that you could find any metal on your dash ...mine is nothing but cheap plastic !

Posts: 1273 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Magnets used for chargers, phone case covers, and similar uses aren't strong enough to damage the iphone (which uses flash drive, rather than the hard drive in a computer). Stronger magnets can interfere with image stabilization and the screen, and can damage the phone.

Rare earth magnets strong enough to support a pistol, for example.

Magnets and electronic memory don't mix.

The magnet strong enough to hold up your phone to your dash board, or to your belt, generally will not hurt your phone memory, but some, and some accessories, have been reported to cause problems with phones, including some devices used with the camera, and some attachment devices (most commonly with image stabilization).

As a matter of course, I keep any computerized device as far from magnets as I can, as I do room keys, credit cards, and anything else that might be harmed by a magnetic field.

posted Hide Post
I have one holding a Glock 22 with a TLR1 with no issues. I have it mounted to the back of the night stand.

I tried to use one to hold a Mossberg 500 but is not secure enough for my liking.

Posts: 5423 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
So you're saying every time I sneak my laptop back between the wall and under this piece of furniture...

^ Or reach up under here, take the gun out of the mount and put my phone in it's place.... that I'm risking damaging them!? I think I'll risk it. Wink

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
So you're saying every time I sneak my laptop back between the wall and under this piece of furniture...

Or reach up under here, take the gun out of the mount and put my phone in it's place.... that I'm risking damaging them!? I think I'll risk it. Wink

No, you said that. I spoke for myself, without any need of someone putting words in my mouth.

A magnet under a desk or tabletop, however, that's strong enough to support a firearm, can certainly have an effect on a hard drive sitting on the table top.

Speaking for myself: you do whatever you want.

I don't put magnets around the house or use them to hold firearms, largely because of their potential interference with electronic memories, and screens.

Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
I’ve had one mounted on the console in my old suburban for several years. It’s a “Brand X” I bought from amazon, I believe. Holds a small pistol with a flat sided slide surprisingly well. I use it for the Kimber Micro-9 I usually carry in my pocket. Heavier pistols, like a 1911, don’t stay oriented correctly on rough roads.

Edited to add pic of Brand X magnet
Those will work fot a small lightweight handgun. For a compact or bigger you'll need 2 of them. Or the flat ones that are roughly 1 1/4" X 3". They too are coated to prevent scratches but their bigger surface hold much better especially in a bumpy car. And I have never needed more than one.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Don't rely on the adhesive alone. Screw that sucker down!

I've got one in my minivan, but haven't mounted one in the jeep yet.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Those will work fot a small lightweight handgun. For a compact or bigger you'll need 2 of them

I believe that’s essentially what I stated in my post. Smile

Posts: 26921 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one mounted inside my bedroom closet over the door opening. Attached to it is either a Sig 229 40 cal or a Ruger LCR in 38 spl. Very convenient and hard to spot.

Posts: 2560 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
I recall several years ago of a gun owner who

obtained a magnetized ashtray for the purpose

of holding gun parts to keep them from falling on to the floor.

When he reassembled the gun, a stainless Ruger .22 pistol,

it would not fire/functon. After degaussing, it worked. Just info.

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post