SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Technivorm With smart plug? Will it burn up if you forget to fill?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Technivorm With smart plug? Will it burn up if you forget to fill? Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
We have always had a programmable coffee maker. If we went with something like a Technivorm with some type of smart plug is there a risk of burning it up if we forget to fill it?

What is the process to set it each time? Will it turn off automatically?

We are also considering a similar Breville and the Bunn Heat n Brew - both with timers.

We are not coffee snobs. These machines just look easiest to clean and fill.

Posts: 17896 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
My technivorm mochamaster is on all day whether there is water in the hopper or not. I’ve had it for probably eight years now? My sense is that there is a thermostatic switch that turns the heat off when the water is gone.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
The moccamaster I have has a float switch that cuts power to the heating element if the water level is low.

https://us.moccamaster.com/col...brewers/products/cdt

Posts: 4129 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
I don’t believe so. Out Technivorm (the KBG model I believe) has two switches, one for 185 degrees or 175 degrees on the warming pad and the other to turn it on. It has a one and a half hour timer and shuts off after 90 minutes.

We’ll occasionally turn it on again if we haven’t gotten through the pot (without adding water) with no apparent ill effects.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: slosig,

Posts: 6920 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Make sure the smart plug can handle the load. A lot of them are can't handle 15A & a lot of them are crappy and may be rated for 15A, but I wouldn't run that on them.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snidera:
Make sure the smart plug can handle the load. A lot of them are can't handle 15A & a lot of them are crappy and may be rated for 15A, but I wouldn't run that on them.

Yes, most are crap. I burned out a Kasa smart plug with an incandescent light bulb because it couldn't handle the inrush current when the bulb was cold

Incandescents have a high current for a brief time when they start up from cold.

I was pissed.

In terms of starting a fire when the reservoir has no water, it would not have achieved UL listing if this was the case. On the other hand it could damage the Technivorn itself, depending.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I bought the Amazon branded one. Worked fine this morning. I’ll make sure it’s not getting warm in the 4 1/2 minutes that it runs.

On a side note, I sure wish this thing made more coffee. I would need to run a second pot to completely fill my to-go bottle after we have our usual cups at home. The old machine made enough to cover it plus some.

Posts: 17896 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:

On a side note, I sure wish this thing made more coffee. I would need to run a second pot to completely fill my to-go bottle after we have our usual cups at home. The old machine made enough to cover it plus some.

Link to the Bigger

Posts: 11854 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post