SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I hate chalkboard chalk
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I hate chalkboard chalk Login/Join 
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
sooo....

It strongly depends on the quality of the chalk. Cheap chalk is very noisy, breaks apart etc. These are .49 boxes you purchase at walmart or some teacher store etc.

BUT just like everything in our lives there is a hidden, somewhat difficult to find, market for premium chalk.

Premium chalk is distinct in that it is very dense, writes silky smooth on the board and a very satisfying 'tap' when you write.

I would take this over stupid whiteboards any day. I loved writing on my chalkboards with quality chalk.
The stuff you get from Crayola etc is just junk.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3591 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 400m:
Everybody is having a good time with this one, and that is fine. I was just curious if I’m alone in this. I guess I have my answer. It’s just a tactile thing I’ve had my whole life, and I’ve never heard anyone else mention it. Velvet always did the same thing and so did corduroy.

For my wife, it's flour & raw porcelain. I'll have to ask her if chalk is similar.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15328 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Second page. Huh

Posts: 13264 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SeaCliff
posted Hide Post
Never afraid of the chalk.
Now the eraser that the nun hit me with, YEA she was a dead eye. Cool

Posts: 1894 | Location: San Diego | Registered: October 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
quote:
Velvet always did the same thing and so did corduroy.

I understand this completely. I can handle chalk, but I get goosebumps down my arms thinking about velvet and cotton balls.

Posts: 2959 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 400m:
Does anybody here also hate the feel of holding chalk? I don’t know why, but I just can’t stand holding it. Running my nails on a chalkboard doesn’t bother me one bit, and I can powder up with chalk in a gym no problem, but I do not like holding a stick. Is this common?

Dr. Phillips, is that you? (obscure reference to The Time Tunnel). Big Grin

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12111 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dking271:
quote:
Velvet always did the same thing and so did corduroy.
I understand this completely. I can handle chalk, but I get goosebumps down my arms thinking about velvet and cotton balls.
Yeah, if you take mustard and smear it on cardboard in the wintertime- {shudder}

And cuff links- wow

Posts: 107611 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Worked with a gal who could not bring herself to touch cardboard. She was good with paper but had to put on gloves for boxes.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5151 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The mustard puts it over the edge.

Posts: 107611 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Being a retired teacher, I had to use chalk for the first 15 yrs or so and couldn't not only stand holding chalk, but everything that goes along with it. From the dust and dust clouds and getting it on your clothes to the gritty feeling it leaves on your hands to the screeching noise it makes while writing with it. The white boards we used the last 15 yrs I was in the classroom were a Godsend.
Good thing I got out when I did, nowadays most classrooms use "smart boards" which require too much computer knowledge (for me at least). Computers/Laptops in schools have been nothing but a drain on the taxpayer. Give me a board, textbook, handouts, paper and something to write with and I can make a class function without all the hocus pocus bullshit. It was done successfully for hundreds of years. But that's another topic....

Posts: 2011 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Worked with a gal who could not bring herself to touch cardboard.

Maybe she had a twin sister. We once had an female employee who had the same phobia.

-MG

Posts: 1993 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
I hope people who build and work on pool tables don't write things in chalk on the slate under the felt.

Posts: 7458 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post