SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Nice surprise today
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nice surprise today Login/Join 
Picture of SR
posted
I thought I'd share something good.

I have a 1999 Chevy Suburban. In 2004 the alternator went out when I was traveling through Georgia. (I live in North Carolina.) At the time, the dealer in GA said “make sure to save the receipt; there is a lifetime warranty on the on the part.” The warranty is noted on the invoice.

Friday the battery died and the local NTB said the alternator is not working right.

This morning I contacted a local Chevy dealer figuring that the warranty was kaput because of Chevy’s bankruptcy. But hey, no harm asking right?

Surprise, Surprise, Surprise. The dealer had me email a copy of the original receipt to them. This is their response: “The part is covered under lifetime warranty, the labor to install would be $195.00 plus tax.”

A big shout out to the local dealer - Sir Walter

P.S. I'm not good at saving receipts but for some reason always kept that receipt in the glove box.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
the labor to install would be $195.00 plus tax.”

Dear Lord.
Cutting you no break there.

You can buy a brand new one for cheaper than that and install in under 45 minutes and save yourself about $50.
On the side of the interstate at that, ask me how I know.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25431 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR:
I thought I'd share something good.

I have a 1999 Chevy Suburban. In 2004 the alternator went out when I was traveling through Georgia. (I live in North Carolina.) At the time, the dealer in GA said “make sure to save the receipt; there is a lifetime warranty on the on the part.” The warranty is noted on the invoice.

Friday the battery died and the local NTB said the alternator is not working right.

This morning I contacted a local Chevy dealer figuring that the warranty was kaput because of Chevy’s bankruptcy. But hey, no harm asking right?

Surprise, Surprise, Surprise. The dealer had me email a copy of the original receipt to them. This is their response: “The part is covered under lifetime warranty, the labor to install would be $195.00 plus tax.”

A big shout out to the local dealer - Sir Walter

P.S. I'm not good at saving receipts but for some reason always kept that receipt in the glove box.

Changing he alternator is 3 bolts, 1 connector & loosening the belt tensioner, then reverse. All right on top of the engine, easy to reach.
A good tech will take longer to check the battery & charging system than swap the alternator. 30 minutes max for the job. $195 is ridiculous. I bet you could find another shop to do it cheaper even paying for the part.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Find another shop to do it for $100, bring in your dead alternator and swap it.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I've done an alternator on an small block Chevy in 17 minutes...and that was on my lunch break in a parking lot with only rudimentary hand tools. It's right on top...take the belt off, unplug a couple of wires, remove 2 or three bolts and you're done. I vote for have the dealership exchange the part for free (since it's under warranty), watch a youtube video, and save yourself $195!

Posts: 8595 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nobody can let the guy have his moment, huh?

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
Nobody can let the guy have his moment, huh?

Unfortunately there never was a moment.
Being that the dealer is clearly charging for the part and the actual labor time they never gave him the moment they just wanted him to think they did. Not to mention there is no telling what he was charged for the part with a lifetime warranty the first go round.
On a Suburban it takes a tech longer to walk to the parts department to grab the alternator off the shelf than to actually swap it out.
Plus the dealer is going to get $20 or so for the alternator for someone to rebuild it.

————————————————

Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
Dugh.... I had not focused on the obvious - $195 is a lot of money for less than one hour of work. Lots of good points above but let me explain, I was focused on my out of pocket cost for the part and install. Due to demands at work, I just do not have time to do the work and I don't have the equipment or knowledge to test the electrical system.

I'll ask the dealer what causes the price to be high. My hope is they make a complete test of the charging system to ensure it's the alternator and/or identify any additional projects.

And while some of you can do the job in less than an hour, it would take me longer... While I could replace the alternator, as I said above, I don't have the tools or the knowledge to test the electrical system.

As to cost, GM Parts Outlet shows list price of 369.66 - 409.20 and a discounted price of 203.31 - 225.06. I checked with a local shop that always uses quality parts and they said the alternator would be 125-175 depending on the amp (and they'd charge one hour labor to test the electrical system and install the alternator if needed. Out the door ~250 plus tax).

I did google a national part store and there is a huge range in prices of alternators with the better parts in the 150+ range. (Validates the local repair place that I trust.)

The tire shop wanted >400.00 for the job. (I didn't trust them or their price.)

Since I absolutely do not have the time to do the work right now, I save money going with the dealer.

Here's my story and I'm sticking to it LOL - I would have purchased one of the better new parts for lets say $130. So I'm paying $65 for the install.

But more importantly, someone knowledgeable will be testing the electrical system.

I didn't mention this in my initial post but I'm getting about 18month on a top end (60+ month) battery. Luckily the tire store has replaced 3 batteries at zero cost to me.

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
And this is how the dealerships are able to charge what they do because you are not alone.
Wish I was closer. I’d do it for you.

I’d suggest for the future finding an independent shop that way the dealer won’t get to squeeze you in the future.
A NAPA backed shop is generally your best best. High quality parts and their warranty coverage includes labor.

I try to do everything I can but sometimes in a pinch I need a shop too.
Dealership hourly rates are ridiculous, generally close to $90-$100 per hour, and their mark up on price is usually pretty steep.

————————————————

Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
Black92LX, what a nice offer. Wish you were closer.

Come November I'll have more time but can't wait that long for this one. Normally I avoid dealers but this time the out of pocket is less than the local shop.

Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
If you did decide to do it yourself:

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/ZJazFxPFnHs

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/3g_4ekELI6M

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4336 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post