SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is this a Case Moth?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is this a Case Moth? Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
The wife was planting flowers today and came across this on our Red Dragon Maple.

Is it a case moth? Should we dispose of it or leave it alone?

Posts: 45375 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like it. Send this photo to County Agricultural Agent. They will know.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I googled some more and it may be bag worms and that has got to go.

Posts: 45375 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Bag worms

You need to spray your trees with these with Bifen IT or another type product, or they will hatch and kill all your bushes/trees.

Don’t wait, don’t put it off.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11286 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Looks like a bag worm…

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Bag worm

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Bag worms

You need to spray your trees with these with Bifen IT or another type product, or they will hatch and kill all your bushes/trees.

Don’t wait, don’t put it off.
i just happen to have some bifenthrin. I pulled the sack off of the tree and crushed it. I couldn't find any more.

Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Spray as others have noted, but, in addition, you CAN snip the thing off as well. Look around for more too.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
We had bag worms and 12 trees between our house and neighbors.
Treated too late.

Bag Worms are nothing you want to put off.
Do more than crush, burn those little devils.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I agree with the bag worm diagnoses. These are evil little buggers that will destroy your shrubs, they are especially harmful to evergreens. Inside each bag is a "worm" (actually a caterpillar) that comes out to feed at night. The bag protects them from birds and other predators during the day. They spin a new bag each morning so most you see will be empty. You have to use a pesticide that works by ingestion, i.e. when they eat foliage sprayed with it, the bag also protects them from insecticides that work by contact. Being diligent about picking bags off and destroying them in other ways (kill it with fire!) will work, but you have to do this every day for a span of weeks to get them all.

The caterpillars are black and filled with partially-digested bright green plant goo. I used to feed them to my 5" Jack Dempsey who took quite a liking to them.

Posts: 6477 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post