SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Suez Canal blocked by container ship
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suez Canal blocked by container ship Login/Join 
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
... suffered a mechanical blackout while transiting ...

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
That needs to be a "And you thought YOU had a bad day" meme.

Or, "If that canal was just a bit wider, we could have done that 180".

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3763 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoseyWales2
posted Hide Post
That's a damn big ship. Look at the relative size of the excavator on the shore near the bow.
Hopefully all the tugs on scene can get her unstuck.

----------------------------------
"These things you say we will have, we already have."
"That's true. I ain't promising you nothing extra."

Posts: 579 | Location: Missouri | Registered: October 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
Yikes. I was trying to find where the bridge is located. Photos I found show it forward with visibility surrounded by conex stacked seven high, above "deck" level. That pic looks like the conex are nine to ten high.

Balze Halze, as you said she is aground, could a visibility issue have contributed to this? Those conex are waaay up there!

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
They're blaming the wind...

quote:
"Evergreen Marine Corp., a major Taiwan-based shipping company that operates the ship, said in a statement provided to The Associated Press that the Ever Given had been overcome by strong winds as it entered the Suez Canal from the Red Sea....

A(n) Egyptian official, who spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity as he wasn't authorized to brief journalists similarly blamed a strong wind in the area for the incident. Egyptian forecasters said high winds and a sandstorm plagued the area Tuesday, with winds gusting as much as 50 kph (31 mph)."

Fox News

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16368 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
So, the weather forecasters didn't forecast too well, or the crew ignored them, and decided to keep on keepin on in their ginormous steel sail Big Grin

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Notary Sojac
Picture of festus haggen
posted Hide Post
Call Jamie Davis. He will have it cleared in no time.

Golden lads and girls all must,
As chimney-sweepers, come to dust.

Posts: 368 | Location: Maryland | Registered: June 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
The memes are already coming. No way to embed this I don't think. Austin Powers.

https://i.imgur.com/UeDLaNR.mp4

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Must have been big fun being the ship behind the Ever Given, watching, horrified, as it got stuck, and then trying to stop 6 billion tons (rough guess) of your own ship before hitting and making things exponentially worse.

Posts: 15033 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
Must have been big fun being the ship behind the Ever Given, watching, horrified, as it got stuck, and then trying to stop 6 billion tons (rough guess) of your own ship before hitting and making things exponentially worse.

That was a question I was going to ask; How fast are those ships moving and what distance do they keep from each other? It appears the ship behind was able to stop.

Also, everything in this thread says the name is Ever Given. But the side says Ever Green. Do they change ships names regularly, or is this just a random occurrence?

Posts: 2308 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Evergreen seems to be the company that leases the ship. In the pic posted on the previous page, if you zoom in on the stern, you can see the ship’s name, Ever Given.

I wonder if the sides of the canal are shallower than the center? I also wonder if the ship uses pods and if so, are they stuck such that they can't be turned? I read that the canal folk expect to have it cleared in two days. I’m going to go out on a limb and say it’s going to take longer and a whole lot more equipment than the 5 tugs and one excavator.

Posts: 10972 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

Six billion tons? Hmmm, well you might be off by about 5.9998 billion tons or so....

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30411 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

Six billion tons? Hmmm, well you might be off by about 5.9998 billion tons or so....

I forgot the smiley, I see. Wink

Posts: 15033 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
We were on a Princess cruise through the Panama Canal a few years ago when one of these big guys came through the new locks. We were next to it for a short time and our ship seemed like a dingy in comparison.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4233 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildheartedson0105:
Yikes. I was trying to find where the bridge is located. Photos I found show it forward with visibility surrounded by conex stacked seven high, above "deck" level. That pic looks like the conex are nine to ten high.

Balze Halze, as you said she is aground, could a visibility issue have contributed to this? Those conex are waaay up there!

Doubtful. The ship will have a chartplotter, radar and other means of navigation. This is most likely a mechanical issue, loss of engine, steering, engine controls, or something along those lines.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
HAZELWOOD!

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildheartedson0105:
So, the weather forecasters didn't forecast too well, or the crew ignored them, and decided to keep on keepin on in their ginormous steel sail Big Grin

When its your turn, you go. World commerce doesn't wait around for 'ideal conditions'

Posts: 14658 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
This is most likely a mechanical issue, loss of engine, steering, engine controls, or something along those lines.

Well, They're blaming the wind. Good. Takes the heat off of the engine department. Fucking mates Wink

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30411 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost in the Woods
Picture of NHForester
posted Hide Post
Trying to move some sand

Posts: 1475 | Location: Newfound Lake, NH | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
According to the Captain in the video the ship carries 20,000 shipping containers!

Lined up in single-file the trailer’s would be almost 152 miles long!

Posts: 3484 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post