SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you know all of the gun related things you own?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you know all of the gun related things you own? Login/Join 
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Jeepers, youse guys are amazing...

i am fairly disorganized, so was quite pleasantly surprised when i found a 50 round box of SD 9mm that i didn't recall having Smile

That being said, got lots of loaded mags whilst waiting for shtf...

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All the firearms and almost all receipts for those are on an excel sheet. Easy to update and resave. The parts and stuff.. i try to keep them in tote bin by gun 870 parts. Ar parts. 10/22 stuff, sig stuff. Smith wheelgun accessories. AR mags and M14 mags all in bins together. I just assembled a steel locker cabinet over the weekend and moved all the ammo into it out of the boxes it was in for the move and that about broke my back. But it’s done. I didn’t have it in me today inventory it but I have a good idea of what I have per caliber.

Posts: 4736 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Thinking...

I know what firearms and holsters I have. I have a rough handle on what ammo I have. I know what tools, cleaning gear, and reloading stuff I have. I have a vague idea of what other miscellaneous gun drek I have. So I guess the answer is yes, I do.

Other than guns that are out for home defense, carry, or dry-fire practice, everything is in one of six places: Safe, ammo storage boxes, cleaning box, smithing box, range bag, or "assorted drek" box.

What has become a problem is keeping the mags straight.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25999 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A number of years ago I ordered one of those blue and white " Bound books " that the FFL's use . I keep a record of everything I buy sell and trade . When my son buys a gun I log it in there because I know he won't do it himself and he has been burglarized once before .

Posts: 3967 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
A number of years ago I ordered one of those blue and white " Bound books " that the FFL's use . I keep a record of everything I buy sell and trade . When my son buys a gun I log it in there because I know he won't do it himself and he has been burglarized once before .

Another example of why I love//sort of hate this forum.
Thanks, selogic, that's a great idea!!
Oh, well, there goes another $25-$30 or so. Big Grin

I guess it'll be more thorough than the composition book I've used for 25+ years.

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

You should have an inventory list, including serial numbers and locations of each firearm. What happens if your firearms are stolen, or if you die?
SIGforum member K0ZZZ publishes the ShotWorks Pro database. He offers a discount to us.

You can keep it on a USB stick.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30539 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
All my gun related stuff lives in one of two places in my home. MBR closet and the garage where I reload.

I have a rolling car with gun belts, box of assorted mags, little bin of misc stuff, etc. the safe is right there and above it is my powers. Ext to that is a bunch a loaded ammo in marked 30&50 cal ammo cans.

In the garage there’s a workbench with all my reloading stuff either on the wall on mounts or in a tool box that rolls around under that bench.

I try and keep things neat. It’s easier to find stuff that way. I have a spreadsheet that lists gun, make model, caliber, how much it cost and annually I value it for going price at gunbroker in case I die-Mrs mike won’t get worked over. On the list there’s even a location section. (My big kid has a shotgun and a pistol that I bought) even has the scopes and their serials in case of theft.

My best friend is the polar opposite and couldn’t tell you where any specific item is..his house, trucks and garage is the same…..I shudder when I think about it.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11239 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
I started an excel file a few years ago, now I add to it with any notable purchases, guns certainly, mags, parts, accessories, books, etc.. I have a separate file for ammo inventories.

I keep record of when I purchased it and for how much.

My book collection alone is surprisingly a healthy sum now. Tip buy a gun book early, once they go out of print they get crazy expensive.

Fun for the planning/spreadsheet nerd in me.
Also figure it will help my wife/Kids if I get hit by a bus.

HK Ag

Posts: 3492 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
Yes, but then, my "guns and related things" stockpile is relatively small. I have them listed in an Excel spreadsheet.

I created a Microsoft Access (free) database to record all my assets (not gun-specific), by modifying one of their sample templates. This let me specify the information that I wanted to record. It might be worth looking into.

Posts: 4816 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
All my gun related stuff lives in one of two places in my home. MBR closet and the garage where I reload.

I have a rolling car with gun belts, box of assorted mags, little bin of misc stuff, etc. the safe is right there and above it is my powers. Ext to that is a bunch a loaded ammo in marked 30&50 cal ammo cans.

In the garage there’s a workbench with all my reloading stuff either on the wall on mounts or in a tool box that rolls around under that bench.

I try and keep things neat. It’s easier to find stuff that way. I have a spreadsheet that lists gun, make model, caliber, how much it cost and annually I value it for going price at gunbroker in case I die-Mrs mike won’t get worked over. On the list there’s even a location section. (My big kid has a shotgun and a pistol that I bought) even has the scopes and their serials in case of theft.

My best friend is the polar opposite and couldn’t tell you where any specific item is..his house, trucks and garage is the same…..I shudder when I think about it.

Is it ATF approved with no monthly subscription fee?

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Somewhere on my property is a 640 round spam can of Wolf 7.62x39 I bought from SG for $45 after all discounts.

Anything with an S/N is on a spreadsheet.

Everything else, while not inventoried, I could drag out if necessary.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3431 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p08:

Is it ATF approved with no monthly subscription fee?

It’s literally an excel spreadsheet I made.

Make, model,sn, caliber,type, location, cost when I bought it, cost this year, notes
1. REM, 700, 123123, 223, bolt gun, safe, 400, 700, has scope sn 123xyz
2. Sig, 762qd, 456456, 308-223, suppressor, safe, 600, 800, —

Real simple

Also has a page with my reloading data like what powders I use, primers I use, etc

I wouldn’t use anything the atf sent me, even if it was free.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11239 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Ah hell, I ain't going to worry about,kids will be young again ,kinda like an Easter egg hunt.
That will teach the shits one thing after I am gone.
They should have spent some Quality time with dear old dad.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I immediately thought "Define All..."

Firearms - yes, unless I forgot a trade...

Ammo - Uh, No, not really...

Holsters - see above...

Accessories - mostly yes, with some locations unknown

Tools and Parts - mostly yes, with some % of duplicates

Reloading Equipment - Yes, on the bench

Reloading Supplies - Uncountable

Hey, it is a complicated question !!

Pragmatism: the relentless pursuit of seeing things as they really are.

Posts: 169 | Registered: September 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
I had a friend a few years ago that asked me how many guns I had. I said I actually have no idea. I still don't Smile
You should have an inventory list, including serial numbers and locations of each firearm. What happens if your firearms are stolen, or if you die?

This.
They have little books at most gun shops that you get when you buy a firearm and most will just give them to you if you ask.
I have a few filled out that are in my fireproof safe.
Model #, caliber, serial # and date purchased. I also have all the receipts. Between 3 gun safes, I need it to keep track.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post