SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    "Knots" In Honor of the Unknown Person Here who taught me to correctly tie my shoes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Knots" In Honor of the Unknown Person Here who taught me to correctly tie my shoes Login/Join 
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted
As the below link will show Knots are a necessity in many walks of life. From Arborist to Surgeon.

+++KNOT LINK+++

I know we all have been given new ideas and ways of doing things on this SIGForum that have in small/large ways enriched our lives.
One small thing for me at the ripe age of 60 something I learned how to use a square knot in the simple act of tying my shoes. I use it now every day and am always reminded of where I learned this so simple thing that has saved me a bunch of time with the Grand kids shoe lashes not coming undone till you want them to....Mostly!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Fla. Jim,

Posts: 4411 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I learned it here as well.

Particularly sad in my case as I had been using reef knots (aka square knots) for years reefing sails. I guess I learned the wrong way and out of habit never questioned it. Frown

Posts: 10950 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Don't know if it was me or somebody else, but I show people that all the time--ever since I learned it 10-12 years ago, I think.

Here is the video I saw, years ago, that enlightened me:

He ties in the opposite order I do, because I found it easier to reverse the first half than the second. Either way: You end up with a square knot (aka: "reef knot") as opposed to a granny knot. What he refers to the "strong form" vs. "weak form."

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
You can make the knot even more resistant to untying by making two loops and then passing the “bunny ear” through the double loops.

Posts: 3230 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Distance runners (heck, probably ANY runner) will tell you that an undone shoelace can ruin a run. I got tired of having to stop and re-tie my shoes, and when I found "Ian's Secure Knot" my problem was solved.

Plus, when you want to un-tie your shoes, a simple pull on an end will do it.

Technically, it's not a new invention. This knot was featured in a Boy Scout handbook in the 1800s.

https://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/secureknot.htm

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Protect Your Nuts
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
Distance runners (heck, probably ANY runner) will tell you that an undone shoelace can ruin a run. I got tired of having to stop and re-tie my shoes, and when I found "Ian's Secure Knot" my problem was solved.

Plus, when you want to un-tie your shoes, a simple pull on an end will do it.

Technically, it's not a new invention. This knot was featured in a Boy Scout handbook in the 1800s.

https://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/secureknot.htm

I’ve always tied my shoes this way, and until about 2 minutes ago thought everybody did as well...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"deserves" ain't got nothin to do with it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 2696 | Location: VA, mostly | Registered: June 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I'm going to have to try Ian's Secure Knot on a couple of my boots. The linked article explains the problem exactly: Many laces these days tend to be of a low-friction material that is prone to coming loose, even when tied correctly.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post