SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Whoohoo, the new EV trucks are here.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whoohoo, the new EV trucks are here. Login/Join 
Picture of powermad
posted
New Volvo tractor.
Not sure why this one got hooked in, there's another dead on the undecking hoist with no way to charge them yet.

What was the engine bay, still has a full size radiator.

One on either side, not sure what it is for.

Battery pack

Required to get another hoist that can handle the battery pack, our 2 ton wasn't enough, had to go to a 3 ton.
Just got it the other day and still have to assemble it.

I haven't been to class on them yet and don't really want too.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: powermad,

Posts: 1478 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
What no sleeper cab?

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Have they any information as to the range that this allows? Seems like it would be good for a local distribution ring.

Reminds me of when GM had started a new emissions and diagnostic architecture. Back in 1987 they had what was basically an OBD II system that wasn't standardized until 1995. The system was so advanced, they built the diagnostic equipment into the car.

New and evolving technology means they can be on the cutting edge. Thinking this one is the bleeding edge.

Can't imagine how much something like this will chew tires. Good luck.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure what the range is on it.
It has a two speed gearbox in it, low and high.
I see port duty in their future.
The EV garbage trucks have been out for a bit now but no one has bought any.

Four went to class for them about a year ago, kinda interested in how they operate and will diving into them whether I like it or not.

I still have one rig with a paperclip diagnostic tool.

Posts: 1478 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Have they any information as to the range that this allows? Seems like it would be good for a local distribution ring.

Close friend works for CA DOT, they've been testing, reviewing and certifying EV tractors for a few years now. Most of what's due to come out are built for regional hauling and local deliveries. I've heard the Nikola & Tesla tractors will have a 350-500 mile range and fulfill the long-haul segment. I'm sure Freightliner, Volvo and others will have their models shortly. Amazon, UPS, WalMart, CocaCola, FedEx and others have been putting all these tractors through their trials.

He drove a couple of them around, said it was both exciting and unnerving. No more shifting, braking wasn't an issue and it was scarily quiet.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I honestly would have thought the battery pack would have been bigger.

Posts: 3920 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Freightliner?

“Driving range varies between the eCascadia’s two battery capacity offerings. The 438 kWh battery provides a typical driving range of 230 miles on the 4x2 configuration or 220 miles on the 6x4 configuration. The 291 kWh battery provides a typical range of 155 miles on the 4x2 configuration. These ranges assume a gradually diminishing load, consistent usage of regenerative braking, and starting routes on a full charge.” Link

Posts: 10941 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Freightliner?

Mack and Volvo Dealership.

No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Useless

EV Tractors are not ready for prime time yet, same goes for pickups when towing

Posts: 5320 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Port use/dense urban beverage use sounds like a very good use for electric trucks.

Posts: 5738 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
"Whoohoo?" Really? Why are you excited about this mickey mouse horseshit?

A 3 ton hoist? Just for the battery? That's nuts.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Volvo claims a 275 mile range for their 565kWh 6 battery version that can be charged to 80% in 90 minutes with a 250kW charger. The one in the picture above appears to be the 6 battery version because of the battery pack behind the cab and the battery packs on each side of the frame.

I drive past a WalMart distribution center every weekday. I wonder how many miles a day the trucks drive on the routes from the distribution center to the stores and back drive.

Posts: 10941 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Standing by for spectacular video of batterisplosions. Of particular interest will be when the 11,500 fuel tankers spark off. Study up on your Star Spangled Banner lyrics everyone. It's sure to be recorded by everyone's cell phones. If you're singing that when it happens, you'll get viral notoriety fo-sho!

Posts: 11387 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tenacious
Tempestuous
with Integrity
posted Hide Post
Powermad: Do these trucks have standard drive trains hooked to an electric motor, or separate drives for each wheel?

Posts: 789 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Four went to class for them about a year ago, kinda interested in how they operate and will diving into them whether I like it or not.
I'll be glad to be retiring soon. I'm behind enough as it is.

Posts: 27957 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
Until range is extended and charging stations are standardized and readily available, including at each terminal bay so the tractor can charge while waiting to unload, EV tractors are a novelty.

Companies interested in making a profit are not interested in novelties.

EV will be viable someday. That day is not today. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 717 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Until range is extended and charging stations are standardized and readily available, including at each terminal bay so the tractor can charge while waiting to unload, EV tractors are a novelty.

And if the trucks are successful (which remains to be seen), the charging stations will follow. In the early days of automobiling, gas stations were scarce, too.

Posts: 27957 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
"Whoohoo?" Really? Why are you excited about this mickey mouse horseshit?

A 3 ton hoist? Just for the battery? That's nuts.

I need to work on my sarcasm vibe.
Two dead in the water upon delivery does not inspire confidence.

That hoist, that is required had to come out of our tool budget.
In other words we got that monstrosity and now don't get stuff we really need.

Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jgerge222:
Powermad: Do these trucks have standard drive trains hooked to an electric motor, or separate drives for each wheel?

It has a two speed gear box with a driveline and drive axle.
The first set is just a lift axle.

Big Stack
posted Hide Post
There are some applications where EVs do make sense. Long haul trucking is NOT one of them.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post