SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Upcoming garage sale quandry
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Upcoming garage sale quandry Login/Join 
posted
I have two old lawn boy mowers , the motors are great both 15 years old.

The gear drive that moves the mowers are wrecked somehow.

Decks and handles are ok.

I have nothing invested in either.

Would anyone pay $25.00 for each , just for the motors ?
Is 25 too much ?

Should I ask more ,
( You can always come down)

4 cycle , if it means anything.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54815 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Donate.

Q

Posts: 26711 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Some dude that knows how how to fix them will buy them for that

Posts: 5372 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lawn Boy mowers, at least the two stroke models seem to have a bit of a cult following.

I would not be surprised if you could sell them for parts, especially if the drive issue is a common problem with a cheap easy fix.

If you have the bag adaptors and bags and whatnot that should help you sell.

My opinion anyway.

Posts: 933 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Paging PHPaul

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6366 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depending on the model you could get much more money. The D series "bricktop" models fetch a bit of money. The latest 6.5 hp Duraforce models fetch even more. The 3 speed models fetch a decent penny and if it has a red/ orange gas tank professional model, you would be surprised at what they bring in. I just saw a 3 speed precessional one listed for close to a grand. If you just want to get rid of them, $25 will be no problem for someone looking to flip or fix and use themselves.

Posts: 3670 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
With good engines, I think they'd be worth a good deal more than $25 to the right buyer. I don't know that such a buyer would be looking at garage sales for them, however.

Posts: 28099 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Before even reading the OP, the answer is no.

Seriously, the idea of hosting a garage sale sounds awesome. The experience is alway anti-that, and leaves you wondering why you didn't just burn the garage down.

Now to read the other input....

eta - oh yes, now I see. Something that starts out at nearly nothing with an expectation that someone will try to negotiate me down to half of nothing and leave me wanting to kill them with the object in negotiation.

If you enjoy the African Bazaar experience then by all means you and others should proceed. I have a friend with memory issues who does this once every couple years and leaves the experience swearing never again. And yet....

Personally, I'd feel net-better gifting that mower to someone I knew who needed it and had the skills to bring it back to life to use OR sell. Same with everything else.

As always, Q is on point. Even if you don't itemize.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12482 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Garage sales are the worst way to sell off anything of real value, but the best way to get rid of lots of junk.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8747 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
yes, I have been party to several mega successful garage sales. Huge $ makers and tons of stuff sold. Done right you can sell a ton of stuff and turn it into good $.

People will by your mowers for good cash if they work. Probably be one of the first things sold.

The first thing sold at one of our garage sales was and old beat up non running Craftsman rider. Got good money for it too.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19307 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
No worries, it’s worth $10, you list $7, they will offer $3, or $2.

Posts: 6219 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After 30 years in retail sales, 12 hours of garage sale is a cake walk .

Tiny town has a yearly garage sale day in June,

65 or 75 people set up for awhile on Friday and Saturday .

People come from 12 and 15 miles.

You would be amazed at the amount of kids crap that gets sold .

I have 16 plastic coolers to offer for sale.

Posts: 54815 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
Donate, put out on the curb at city bulk item collection day, whatever. I helped my parents with epic garage sales in the 80s/90s to get rid of all our childhood things. It was always hot and sucked. They always lamented it wasn't worth the hassle with what was raised. Dad tried to sell some guns at them, they brought the people there but nobody bought anything, they all wanted deals or didn't have hundreds to spend. Now there are Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist, consignment places and consignment auctions for anything of decent value, eBay for shippable things of value worth the extra hassle, donation outlets for everything else.

What is your time worth? What is your opsec worth of dozens of nosey people poking around your garage? You can learn alot about someone with the stuff they sell. Number of kids, gender, age range, perhaps where you or a spouse work from branded Christmas gifts nobody wants.

The juice isn't worth the squeeze.

That being said, I've stumbled across some baffling awesome deals at garage sales not even looking. Last year stopped at a neighbor's sale on the way walking our daughter to school. They had a jungle green N64 and controller for $5, that's worth probably $150. I had to run home and grab my wallet and run back.

Posts: 2552 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 28099 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
Paging PHPaul

Big Grin

Actually had one, couldn't get it running and got tired of dicking with it. Rest of the mower was junk so I tossed the whole thing.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15316 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
I find the people who come to garage sales would likely not buy them for any price. They don't want anything unless you are practically giving it away. I would seek out a lawnmower repair guy and cut a deal, he would part the mower out in repair jobs.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8440 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The magnesium decks are fun to throw on a hot bonfire after dark too.

“Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.”

John Adams

Posts: 328 | Location: Land of 10000 Taxes | Registered: March 19, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
2 stroke law boy mower kicks ass!
I buy in a heartbeat.

________,_____________________________
Guns don't kill people - Alec Baldwin kills people.
He's never been a straight shooter.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry , I got it wrong , four stroke.

Do not mix oil and gas

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Sorry , I got it wrong , four stroke.

It's ok - at a garage sale you can claim anything someone will believe.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12482 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post