SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Daughter and Archery - Update, Last outdoor practice before Nationals
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Daughter and Archery - Update, Last outdoor practice before Nationals Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
Update:

We made it, all the equipment made it undamaged as well. Big relief. Had a great southern style dinner tonight at Driftwood. Daughter had shrimp and grits for the first time and loved it.

Checked out the field tonight, I'm thoroughly unimpressed and I've got some concerns for our archers. Tomorrow is check in, equipment inspection and unofficial practice. Ice cream social in the afternoon and a chance for our daughter to catch up with her second archery family that she only gets to see at national tournaments. Tonight is time to get some rest for the big weekend.

Our daughter had a lesson this morning with her coach, or should I say a heat endurance training session. It was 97 degrees this morning at 0700 when she started and 102 at 0900 when they finished. At least the 10 day weather forecast for Raleigh has cooled down a bit from what they predicted last week, but it's still going to be hot, and humid, and sticky, and...

Gave us a chance to go through the whole batch of new arrows in her quiver and nock tune them. Good thing, we found 2 that were flying inconsistent, pulled the nocks and put them in the back of her quiver just in case. She was absolutely KILLING it this morning. If she can do in Raleigh what she did here this morning, she will do well and go far in the elimination rounds.

As for myself, I'm an absolute spastic nerf bag. Not that I'm worried about my daughter, I'm worried about me in supporting her. This is the first tournament that's been more than a day's drive for us and we have to fly. Thinking that we'll be over 2,000 miles from home and our club, I find myself rummaging through the bow room looking for whizmos that I haven't used in over 3 years thinking, "We might need this..." Then there's thinking about the TSA and baggage handlers and putting cam locks and zip ties on her bows, packing them in with clothes inside the bow case and anything else I can think of to prevent tampering.

One more day here and then we're on a flight at 0500 Tuesday for North Carolina.

Always love getting pictures like this at Ben Avery with the big saguaros in the background.

And yes, that black hole in the middle of the target, she made it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 2000Z-71,

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11768 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
"Absolute Spastic Nerf Bag" has to be the best saying I've heard in a while. We just returned from a week in South Carolina. Pack sunscreen and extra undershirts. Best of luck to you both!

Todd

phxtoad

"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Posts: 420 | Location: Tempe, Arizona | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Pack your smallest pistol in a padded firearms pouch in her bow case, it will keep TSA out while you're not there to watch them. They will inspect the case under your supervision then watch you lock it up and the key goes with you.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
As always, best of luck to Maya!

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15331 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
I find myself rummaging through the bow room looking for whizmos that I haven't used in over 3 years thinking, "We might need this..."

If I was going to NC in July, I'd be packing a couple liters of NS, IV caths and tubing.
I freaking HATE humidity!

I hope Maya does well and will add the traditional SigForum cheer:
GO MAYA!!

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
God luck Maya, and enjoy it Dad!

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pwelch001:
Good luck Maya, and enjoy it Dad!

Well said and I concur! Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16223 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old, Slow,
but Lucky!
Picture of dsmack
posted Hide Post
You GO, Girl!!!

Our best wishes are flying with you Wink

Don

Posts: 3418 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
Pack your smallest pistol in a padded firearms pouch in her bow case, it will keep TSA out while you're not there to watch them. They will inspect the case under your supervision then watch you lock it up and the key goes with you.

I had a serious debate with myself about using her soft case vs. my 4 rifle SKB hard case and doing something similar with a Davis Derringer that I have zero attachment to or use for.

In the end and after talking with a lot of archers I decided to go with her soft case. The advantage is her soft case is designed for archery tournament travel. It's got all kinds of internal compartments and storage for things like arrows, stabilizers, tools and straps to secure the bows with inside the case. Basically it can handle both bows, all of her archery gear and a whole lot more. With my hard case, we'd be done at 2 bows and looking for additional bags to pack everything else in.

I've got the travel sleeve for it that cocoons it and makes tampering a lot more of a PITA. I've got cam locks and zip ties on the bows so they cannot be pulled back and dry fired. I've also got clothing, rain gear, etc. packed all around the bows to further protect them and they aren't readily visible unless someone totally dumps the bag. We've got direct flights to hopefully minimize opportunities for someone tampering or stealing something out of it.

Still nervous about it all. Thinking next time I'm getting the really big ass SKB hard case that I can fit her soft case inside of.

Posts: 11768 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thinking next time I'm getting the really big ass SKB hard case that I can fit her soft case inside of.

That is a great idea, I have used it for photo equipment I cannot get in carry on. Works well.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2891 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
I third the SKB case idea.

Go Team Maya!

Posts: 4818 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Update at top.

posted Hide Post
Go Maya!!

Thanks for the scoring link. Fun to watch

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6227 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post