SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    ‘Tortilla movement’ seeks to restore Mexico’s iconic food
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

‘Tortilla movement’ seeks to restore Mexico’s iconic food Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
“MEXICO CITY (AP) — As Mexico City’s 9 million residents sleep in the pre-dawn darkness, busy hands are already preparing the day’s corn tortillas in the small kitchen of Molino El Pujol, a tortilla shop that is part of a famed chef’s bid to help recover Mexico’s iconic food.

As the old tortilla machine roars to life at 5 a.m., a steaming hot mass of lime-treated corn mash is loaded into one end, where it is divided into small portions, flattened and baked. Fresh tortillas come out the other end, letting customers taste a bit of Mexican history that chefs say is being eroded by modern production techniques and modern corns.

If the “Pujol” in the shop’s name sounds familiar, it’s because its creator is chef Enrique Olvera, whose Mexico City restaurant Pujol is rated among the world’s best restaurants.

Why would the star of Mexico’s culinary world open a simple tortilla shop, or tortilleria, which conjures up images here of working class homemakers lining up for their tortillas with cloths that save them a peso on paper wrapping?

For the 43-year-old Olvera, it was a logical step, given that he had already started supporting the local farmers who supply his restaurants. His shop is part of a new tortilla movement launched by a handful of chefs, restaurants and organizations to restore and popularize authentic tortillas…” [more follows]

https://apnews.com/7f95de4a7a5c4d1d85083d7517231e9f

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8913 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
If you have Netflix, he is one of the chefs on Final Table. [Spoiler] He gets pretty far and his food looks delicious!

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1950 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not Hispanic/Mexican, but I like Mexican food especially tacos & enchiladas, so yeah maybe more places will follow along.

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Olvera is a true culinary giant and a national treasure to Mexico, unfortunately there's many in Mexico who don't care nor, recognize that their food and resources are some of the greatest gifts they offer to the world. Real-deal, hand made tortillas are light-years better than the mass produced stuff.

Posts: 14624 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
My favorite taqueria makes their own tortilla's every day and they are awesome. I'll have to ask where they get their corn meal and if they use lime in the process. There is only one person there that speaks English so he's the one I'll ask, obviously. Big Grin

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Most folks like the food that they were raised on best, and that includes me – my mother’s midwestern cooking. But Baja Mexican is my second favorite. I have a round 9-1/2” stovetop iron griddle that serves as a comal (tortilla warmer).

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8913 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I didn't know tortillas needed "restoration". Aren't they just fried plates of cornmeal mush?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Gospel, translated-Good News!

Posts: 13221 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Remember when Chevy's used to make their own tortillas in each restaurant?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18022 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Do they not anymore?

Posts: 3658 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I was in Mexico City for a few days two years ago. Had tortillas in every restaurant, all were a bit different, and I'm pretty sure they were all made there.

But ok... go ahead and restore it.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37948 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I didn't know tortillas needed "restoration". Aren't they just fried plates of cornmeal mush?

flashguy

Just like saying a hamburger is a fried lump of cow mush.

Depends on how it’s prepped, if it was over mixed causing the tortilla to be tough, how thick it is, how coarse or fine the corn is, how well it was cooked...

Just like a crappy burger vs a good burger.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4024 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
I didn't know tortillas needed "restoration".
Me either. The tortillas were/are excellent in the 4 cities I've lived in Texas and the 1 city I lived in SoCal.

The tortillas never were good in the 4 cities I've lived in the Upper Midwest, Calgary, and Anchorage.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23189 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
I didn't know tortillas needed "restoration".
Me either. The tortillas were/are excellent in the 4 cities I've lived in Texas and the 1 city I lived in SoCal.

The tortillas never were good in the 4 cities I've lived in the Upper Midwest, Calgary, and Anchorage.

The push is to develop and create a demand for the wide variety of corn that is available, whereas the mass produced tortillas use the same basic corn flour.

Posts: 14624 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
Do they not anymore?

Some don't even have the tortilla machine, anymore. Those that do, it just sits there like an ornamental decoration.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18022 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post