SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is there a secret to reserving a motel room ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there a secret to reserving a motel room ? Login/Join 
posted
I want to stay in Coralville , Iowa in Oct.

the place I want to stay is charging $159.00 or a single , non smoking .

If I check every 6 hours , will the price go up and down like air fares do ?

I'd like to find something under or right at $90.00, that is not a flea ridden mess of a crap hole.

Its been ten years since I done this , what do I need to know?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54644 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mikus36
posted Hide Post
Check Trivago.com You can compare rates and options

"It's a Bill of Rights - Not a Bill of Needs"
The World is a combustible Place

Posts: 353 | Location: Washington | Registered: April 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Trivago.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I usually look in the booking websites rather than on the hotels website. Sometimes there’s better deals there. Time of year and location matters a lot too. Like when we go into anchorage, in the woods yet you can get a good room for 70 bucks a night, summer...it’s like 170 a night.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've found I get the better rooms and upgrades when booking directly with the Hotel.

Generally - hotels will give you the worst room they have when booking with discount sites. And when there is a problem - you sort it out with the booking site.

Best of luck.
Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 863 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Cid 92:
I've found I get the better rooms and upgrades when booking directly with the Hotel.

Generally - hotels will give you the worst room they have when booking with discount sites. And when there is a problem - you sort it out with the booking site.

Best of luck.
Andrew

I've had good luck calling the hotel directly, being nice, and asking for their best rate. If I've checked other sites and found better rates, I ask them if they can match that. At times they will mention something going on locally that drives prices up and recommend changing dates to get better prices.

Posts: 2368 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bendable, I sent you an email.

May our caskets be made of hundred-year oak, and may we plant those trees tomorrow.

Posts: 814 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: January 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No worries!
Picture of Chach
posted Hide Post
Don’t forget to ask about any discounts for groups you may belong to, AAA, AARP (don’t know your age, no offense intended if you’re not), airline rewards programs, military, NRA, etc... Signing up for a hotel chain rewards programs is also helpful, even if you don’t travel that much.

Not that it’ll really matter in the case of a cheap hotel room, but when checking into a hotel handing over a 20 with your ID and such can, and has for me on more than one occasion, led to a very nice room upgrade / free meal or drink tickets.

Posts: 3188 | Location: NorCal - Sac | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Book online. I use Priceline, and several others. I've been told the hotel is sold out, stood at the desk and booked via an online service, paid considerably less, and had my room.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Cid 92:

That's not been my experience, and I travel a lot. Most of the time I use Hotels.com (Expedia) and I've been very pleased with my rooms.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I always preferred book directly on the hotel website, but then our new travel department forced us to book through them. If we didn't, our expense report would get denied.

Do sign up for any hotel club cards. Often they'll get you free upgrades, etc.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
I want to stay in Coralville , Iowa in Oct.

the place I want to stay is charging $159.00 or a single , non smoking .

If I check every 6 hours , will the price go up and down like air fares do ?

I'd like to find something under or right at $90.00, that is not a flea ridden mess of a crap hole.

Its been ten years since I done this , what do I need to know?

Iowa homegame weekend? If so all prices at the top end of the scale, and availability at the bottom end!

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I use kayak.com to find rooms as a starting point. Kayak will direct me to the hotel/motel's website, and I'll look for additional discounted rates there. In my experience, the front desk staff have always told me it's cheaper to book online than over the phone or in person. Their hotel's 'web only' rate is the lower than anything they can offer.

I've also had decent luck w/ hotwire.com, but it's a roll of the dice.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Hotels.com

Read the reviews, understand the terms (ie when you can / can't cancel), chose one.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I have a hotel rewards credit card and use points toward that for free rooms. After decades of going cheap on motel rooms I now only stay in Hampton Inn or one of the Hilton chain hotels. They cost more but are clean and at Hampton if you arent satisfied with your stay you don’t pay. I book through my rewards app on my phone. I no longer worry about finding the cheapest room unless I’m staying for a week or longer (which is rare, most of my stays are 1-3 nights).

Posts: 4114 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Family has been in the business nearly 25 years. Hotels have to pay up to 30% commission to some of the booking sites. You only give them a few rooms to sell and keep most of your inventory to sell yourself. Always call the property direct, be nice and you'll usually get a better rate

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
I have a hotel rewards credit card and use points toward that for free rooms. After decades of going cheap on motel rooms I now only stay in Hampton Inn or one of the Hilton chain hotels. They cost more but are clean and at Hampton if you arent satisfied with your stay you don’t pay. I book through my rewards app on my phone. I no longer worry about finding the cheapest room unless I’m staying for a week or longer (which is rare, most of my stays are 1-3 nights).

Looks like there’s a Hampton Inn in Coralville. Right off the bat, the price is $99. Sure might be possible to get a discount and get the price down to $90

Posts: 13263 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
nope , not a home game weekend,
they took $9.00 off for the AAA discount.
yep Hampton inn

will check that out ,

can there be "hidden " fees involved by going through them ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54644 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Have you ever thought about an AirBnB? A quick search found this place for $40 a night.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/21645845?s=51

Posts: 11167 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Lots of great AirBnBs in the IC, C'rapids, C'ville area at every price point. All bets are off on home game weekends.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4579 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post