SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    DC Mayor Addresses How High School Grads All Got Diplomas Without Meeting Requirements
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DC Mayor Addresses How High School Grads All Got Diplomas Without Meeting Requirements Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser tried to answer those questions at a press conference Tuesday.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31485 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
On rare occasions, I'm kind of surprised to learn someone doesn't have a degree. Those people speak and even write very well, so I'm easy to fool. But the vast majority of the people I meet don't have any "post high school" work and it shows. Glaringly in fact. I'm not saying they're idiots, but some seem to be. Also, the major one selects in college can show similar deficiencies in things like vocabulary. The result is that many of us who majored in "useful" skills don't speak or write as well as the women's studies or other trendy subjects. It means that if you're the one doing the hiring, you need to pick up on the strengths the applicant will bring to the job.

Time was, everyone didn't even have a high school diploma and you could tell by talking to them. Now we expect everyone to have some college, if only an associates degree.

When someone from DC is applying for a job they probably can be identified quickly. They may claim discrimination that is based on color. But if they lack even basic speaking skills, it can pretty much be assumed the diploma they bring with them is based on participation at some level. These will be prime subjects for the "do good" lawyers inhabiting the sewers of our capital. But if you watch, none of them will be hired by those law firms, only pushed as victims.

Maybe its a good thing. The interviewers will be forced to actually listen to the prospects. If they hear something wrong or out of order, they need to keep looking. 60 or 70 years ago, the high school diploma was proof the person has accomplished more than their parents or grandparents have. Now its just proof of academic fraud. Perpetuated by the same old liberals who suggest everyone has value. And they're right. The can always serve as a bad example.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
How did this happen?
Oh, please. Roll Eyes

Exactly. I know how AND why this happened. So do you, so does everyone quoted in this article.

The difference is that you and I are willing and able to state the obvious reality and 'they' will never acknowledge the how or the why. Their world would collapse if they were to do so.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:
Participation diplomas

Non-participation diplomas! Roll Eyes

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Washington DC is not the only school district that just passes students along.
I have read stories in the past about kids graduating High school who can hardly read.
Some schools just do not want to deal with the kids who do not want to be there. They just pass them to get rid of them.
This is the first story I have heard of this in a long time. hopefully it is not as big a problem as most would think.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2579 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Jacket:
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:
Participation diplomas

Non-participation diplomas! Roll Eyes

That’s retarded, sir.

Posts: 3956 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:....The difference is that you and I are willing and able to state the obvious reality and 'they' will never acknowledge the how or the why. Their world would collapse if they were to do so.

Clearly, you will never elevate yourself to the status of a liberal. Wink

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 71 TRUCK:

It’s called “Social Promotion”.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4242 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Personally, I think we're seeing the primary goal of the liberalization of public education, an environment designed specifically to produce illiterate, incapable, irresponsible, angry, young people with zero skills and zero options. As such, they become wholly owned by the Washington Plantation, operated by the Dem's. These worthless people believe they have no choice but to offer their votes and support to the Dem party, who they perceive as their only option.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 71 TRUCK:
I have read stories in the past about kids graduating High school who can hardly read.
Some schools just do not want to deal with the kids who do not want to be there. They just pass them to get rid of them.
This is the first story I have heard of this in a long time. hopefully it is not as big a problem as most would think.

The mother of a friend, who taught in the Raleigh-Durham public school district, told me once when we were talking shop that she had a middle school student who could not read after having already been held back in 6th grade three times who was passed on to 7th grade by the administration because "he is too big to fit in the desk chairs".

Yes, a kid who they acknowledged was totally incapable of doing the work was passed on because he was too big.

Wonder where that kid is today?

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was a crappy student and did not take well to instruction. When threatened to be held back, I said "fine, see ya next year".
I miraculously passed. And this was in the early 70s.
But at least I can read and write. And I showed up.
I think if you want a glance at our future as a country and society, just look to our schools and colleges.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16132 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post