SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    DC Mayor Addresses How High School Grads All Got Diplomas Without Meeting Requirements
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DC Mayor Addresses How High School Grads All Got Diplomas Without Meeting Requirements Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/...ool-scandal-n2435228

Residents in Washington, D.C. are still baffled over how every single student at Ballou High School got their diploma, despite many of them not even showing up to class.

It wasn't just one school. Students across the city graduated despite having missed more than 30 days of school in a single course, findings from the D.C. Office of the State Superintendent investigation found. The investigation is still ongoing, but parents' demand for answers prompted city officials to share some initial findings.

The city wide audit came after an initial investigation by WAMU and NPR at Ballou, in which they discovered a high rate of unexcused absences.

An investigation by WAMU and NPR has found that Ballou High School's administration graduated dozens of students despite high rates of unexcused absences. We reviewed hundreds of pages of Ballou's attendance records, class rosters and emails after a district employee shared the private documents. Half of the graduates missed more than three months of school last year, unexcused. One in five students was absent more than present — missing more than 90 days of school.

To add insult to injury, the majority of Ballou’s 2017 graduates missed more than six weeks of school. One teacher recalls seeing kids in the 12th grade that couldn't read and write.

How did this happen? Personal responsibility is certainly part of it, but administrative neglect was also a factor. As NPR explains, teachers who voiced their opposition to how things were being run were threatened with poor teacher evaluations.

"It's oppressive to the kids because you're giving them a false sense of success," one anonymous teacher at Ballou told NPR.

D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser tried to answer those questions at a press conference Tuesday.

“Our biggest responsibility is knowing that showing up half the time doesn’t work anywhere in life,” she said. "The huge investments we have made in our schools only work if students are sitting in the seats."

She is “not happy” knowing that the D.C. school system has problems that weren’t communicated.

They are also taking steps to shake up the school's faculty. Ballou Principal Yetunde Reeves has been placed on administrative leave following the scandal and the city is working on finding a replacement.

adding

2015 Total Public School Expenditures, Spending Per Student

Wash DC is the third highest at

$19,396 per student

NY was highest at $21,206 per pupil, and
Alaska second highest at $20,172

DC was the highest in salaries and wages per pupil at $13,497

NY was $11,529 in salaries and wages per pupil

http://www.governing.com/gov-d...-per-pupil-data.html

Posts: 19607 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
How did this happen?
Oh, please. Roll Eyes

Posts: 107758 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Just pathetic.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
I'll bet school administration was just as shocked as I am at this! Eek

Posts: 6407 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
Dear DC Mayor. This happened as a direct result of your social justice/education policies, and the outcome was predicted.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
It's not just DC. In one western state, There's a "home study" option where students can stay at home, do nothing, but somehow get credits and graduate.

It's all about numbers. They have got to keep the graduating percentages high. Even if this means graduating those who have seemingly dropped out.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10942 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Participation diplomas

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Best of luck to all the graduates on those college entrance exams.

Posts: 4015 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
We wouldn't want certain demographics to look like they scored poorly now do we?

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
Best of luck to all the graduates on those college entrance exams.

Given what I have seen take place on college campuses over the last several months (years?) they have been admitting such students for several years now.

I was in my late 20's when I decided to go to college. The stuff I had to go thru to get admitted to a community college was a bitch. Mostly because of all the "history" stuff they wanted. Entrance tests, etc etc.

The admissions counselor was about my age and we kind of hit it off. Once I had all the stuff together I was admitted, and the counselor told me that I had a real advantage over the kids coming out of high school. (Montgomery county, MD) I asked what that was, and his response? "You can read, write and do math!" That was about 1972. And nothing leads me to believe it has gotten better. The public is slowly becoming aware of the issues.

One other more recent example: My oldest grandson was in high school, got written up for skipping his math class. He told his mom that few people bothered to attend because the teacher could not speak English.

Daughter went to visit the school. You! Math teacher was recent "arrival" from somewhere in the far east, and her English was so broken that daughter could not understand her, either.

Daughter put both boys into home schooling.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Bigotry of low expectations. Pretty sad.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4339 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
If in 1960 the Democrat party decided-- consciously, deliberately-- to destroy blacks in America through an insidious program of "help," they could not have done a better job.

Democrats are the party of slavery, KKK, of Jim Crow, of segregation, and yet their staunchest voting bloc-- consistently over 90%-- is blacks.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11109 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe something similar was done here recently. They lowered the requirements to graduate, then patted themselves on the back for having one of the highest graduation rates in state history.

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1211 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yetunde Reeves

Not fired, "reassigned"

Posts: 23597 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
A) To take action could be construed as racist
B) Sanctuary schooling
C) Don't report anything which jeopardizes federal money
D) All the above

Add your own...

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2020 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justjoe:
If in 1960 the Democrat party decided-- consciously, deliberately-- to destroy blacks in America through an insidious program of "help," they could not have done a better job.

Democrats are the party of slavery, KKK, of Jim Crow, of segregation, and yet their staunchest voting bloc-- consistently over 90%-- is blacks.

LBJ got his wish! The Great Society!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24190 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
Best of luck to all the graduates on those college entrance exams.[/QUOTE

Reading and writing are no longer a requirement for entry into college. For that matter - reading and writing really are not a requirement to exit college with a degree either.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
As the hand picked (minority) student at a Silicon Valley college commented, "it is more important in college to gain and use political clout than it is to gain marketable skills".

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
As the hand picked (minority) student at a Silicon Valley college commented, "it is more important in college to gain and use political clout than it is to gain marketable skills".

Future pick for Democrats to run for a Congress seat?

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:

maybe she should read Shelby Steele's article from the Sunday edition of the Wall Street Journal. Could be that the highest lvel of civiaization for professional poor people has passed her by.

Posts: 6407 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post