SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Route 91 fest Vegas shooting?
Page 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 87

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Route 91 fest Vegas shooting? Login/Join 
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
I have been reading this thread and little else. I simply dont have the mental accuity to describe the disgust at this man, and the warmth and pride of our fellow citizens that took what action they could. My deepest condolences and sympathies to those who are wounded or lost.

I could not have said it better.

God bless the victims and their families.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107685 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:

One can only hope such a petition would result in punitive action against the "princess!"

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16250 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Report This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
As to the question of why first cops on scene or armed hotel security didn't storm the shooter's room: They probably tried. If the shooter had time to set up cameras and such to cover his back and the approach to room, don't you think he may have had time to stack every piece of furniture against the door?

We did a table top exercise about this in an active shooter/barricaded sniper scenario at both a hospital and hotel. Short of explosives, our best bet as patrol officers and detectives (SWAT not on scene)to get into the room was ballistic shields for increasing our cover chances and using fire department equipment to cut a fire port into the wall or through the wall to shoot the shooter. Our fire department personnel said depending on the wall, it could take 20 seconds to 5 minutes or more to cut through.

Posts: 3947 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Report This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:
As to the question of why first cops on scene or armed hotel security didn't storm the shooter's room: They probably tried. If the shooter had time to set up cameras and such to cover his back and the approach to room, don't you think he may have had time to stack every piece of furniture against the door?

We did a table top exercise about this in an active shooter/barricaded subject scenario at both a hospital and hotel. Short of explosives, our best bet as patrol officers and detectives (SWAT not on scene)to get into the room was ballistic shields for increasing our cover chances and using fire department equipment to cut through a wall to shoot the shooter. Our fire department personnel said depending on the wall, it could take 20 seconds to 5 minutes or more to cut through.

That would be a bad spot to be in, trying to break through a wall in a neighboring room. You’d be a sitting duck doing that, although in that situation you do what you have to do.

Posts: 1516 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Report This Post
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cooger:
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:

We did a table top exercise about this in an active shooter/barricaded subject scenario at both a hospital and hotel. Short of explosives, our best bet as patrol officers and detectives (SWAT not on scene)to get into the room was ballistic shields for increasing our cover chances and using fire department equipment to cut through a wall to shoot the shooter. Our fire department personnel said depending on the wall, it could take 20 seconds to 5 minutes or more to cut through.

That would be a bad spot to be in, trying to break through a wall in a neighboring room. You’d be a sitting duck doing that, although in that situation you do what you have to do.

That is why using the ballistic shields. Most of the patrol ones are rated for pistols but with a sturdy wall and shield, it might offer you a chance. If you think about it, to cover an average hotel or hospital room, you would have to cut two holes at different points to cover all the blind spots.

Over the years, I have had the FD teach my squads how to use a lot of their rescue equipment.

Posts: 3947 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Report This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:

One can only hope such a petition would result in punitive action against the "princess!"

Signed.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43912 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Report This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
When we had a hotel in our city (recently torn down) we discussed how to access a neighboring room safely if barricaded without waiting for SWAT. When the hotel shut down years ago and the city acquired the property, we actually went in on our own time and practiced breaching with equipment on hand. Not as easy as we thought. We had one breaching tool, an old axe and one ballistic shield.
We made do.

Also petition signed.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8025 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
a positive sight to come out of this, just saw a TV news story about residents in Vegas waiting up to 3 hours at area blood donation centers

Posts: 4781 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Report This Post
certified biohazard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
Sickening. There are no adequate words to describe this and how I feel about this madman.

agree and one can only hopes he burns in eternal hellfire!!! prayers to all the families, it's a sad day for America.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
Edmund Burke

Posts: 533 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 18, 2004Report This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Signed.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15487 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I would think that a responder could have taken down the shooters cameras as a first step. Also two persons could enter an adjoining room and sprayed automatic fire in the approximate direction, then backed out as fast as possible.

-c1steve

Posts: 4061 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Report This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Horrific, prayer for those poor soul,thank God for the President and his leadership.

Posts: 2780 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Report This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Signed.

I don't even want to understand what happens to someone's mind and heart that they can look at innocent people killed and maimed at a concert and think: they deserve it!

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11109 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Report This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I searched, and didn't see this as I was reading through the thread.

Anyone else notice the tidbit about how this guy's father was a serial bank robber, and was on the FBI's Ten Most Wanted for a while? Not sure it's relevant, but it is kind of interesting.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/l...-half-a-century-ago/

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Report This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spunk639:
Horrific, prayer for those poor soul,thank God for the President and his leadership.

Well said...

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Report This Post
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
When we had a hotel in our city (recently torn down) we discussed how to access a neighboring room safely if barricaded without waiting for SWAT. When the hotel shut down years ago and the city acquired the property, we actually went in on our own time and practiced breaching with equipment on hand. Not as easy as we thought. We had one breaching tool, an old axe and one ballistic shield.
We made do.

Also petition signed.

Yep, using the old school gear. We did the same thing with an old school building getting torn down. Tried it with what we had in the patrol cars......was a stone cold bitch getting through those 1950 built walls. Using the FD gear cut the time down considerably.

Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Eventually the full story of this evil bastard will emerge. I have no idea what it is, but I know that the "he snapped" narrative doesn't wash for me.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11109 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Report This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
I searched, and didn't see this as I was reading through the thread.

Anyone else notice the tidbit about how this guy's father was a serial bank robber, and was on the FBI's Ten Most Wanted for a while? Not sure it's relevant, but it is kind of interesting.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/l...-half-a-century-ago/

If his Aunt's Grandmother farted in church they'll report it

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37992 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Report This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Signed

Posts: 26933 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Report This Post