SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Employer Email: Security Training for Active Shooter
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Employer Email: Security Training for Active Shooter Login/Join 
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^

Exactly - I am a white/middle-aged/male/most non-protected group person there is. Last thing I need to do is trigger some millenial-metoo-vegan-LGBTxyz to be "uncomfortable" to HR.
I will not comment on how I will respond to an active shooter situation -I'm good there!

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4580 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Do nothing, say nothing, ask nothing... before, during or after the meeting.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
This mandatory training program will take approximately 75-90 mins and all sessions will take place in *******. Ideally, we would like @ 35 employees in each session.

My God they're spending a lot of man hours (which equals money) on this.

I'm curious how much of the training covers gunshot wound first aid. Is there a first aid kit around which includes those modern tourniquets, etc? If not, why not?

If it were me, I'd use the opportunity to press them for as much free first aid training as possible.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Say nothing.

Have a strong will to live and a plan to protect yourself.

Shoot back.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
Being active in our "SF community" I ask:
- what questions are appropriate so as not to paint myself as the resident gun guy?

quote:
I'm curious how much of the training covers gunshot wound first aid. Is there a first aid kit around which includes those modern tourniquets, etc? If not, why not?

Bingo. Here are your questions, at the end of the session:

"When will you provide GSW first aid training?"

"Where are the bleeding control kits located?"

Posts: 9042 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
I luv that.....sends the message "this training was worthless....so how do we treat the wounded?"

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4580 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
And the response might clue you in on how little the employers actually care.

They're just checking a box.

Posts: 9042 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
I'm sure this sort of thing is becoming big business. Create a generic, bullshit plan and keep regurgitating it to clients with minor tailoring. From the employers perspective, it's clearly a cover-your-ass training program to limit any liability in the event of the worst happening. They can say they did something (which really amounts to nothing).

I generally agree with others that you should just get through it and keep your mouth shut. If, however, you feel like breaking their chops, I'd send an email to whomever is leading the program asking what the company will be doing in the future e.g. cameras, key cards, security personnel, security doors etc. Basically, a really expensive list of stuff and let them respond that they aren't going to do any of it Smile Just make sure you have another job lined up Big Grin

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have worked in several jobs that prohibited being armed, including one that was quite a stressful place.
I deep concealed and kept my mouth shut about it. If I had to use my gun, I would be alive (hopefully) but unemployed. I was and am OK with that. I figure that anywhere they tell you that you dont need, or cant have a gun, thats just the place to have one. So... I too would just attend and maintain a low profile.
Question for those of you who provide this type of training:
If your company puts on this training, but fails to follow through with advanced GSW first aid kits, training to use them, proper facility hardening and better egress options, are they then liable civilly if a workplace violence event takes place?
Look how many people sued MGM after the Vegas shooting!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16095 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will get by
Picture of Rustyblade
posted Hide Post
I had fun reading that.

I truly feel for you.

Do not necessarily attribute someone's nasty or inappropriate actions as intended when it may be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

Posts: 1291 | Location: Delray Beach | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rustyblade:
dup -- unable to Delete

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
There is one more step -- after clicking on "Delete Message," it asks for confirmation. You have to click on "Continue."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
My wife's company made them all watch a run, hide, fight video that the US govt put out. It was decent enough for the minimal info that was included, dumbed down to the lowest common denominator.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will get by
Picture of Rustyblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rustyblade:
My mouse clicker stuck. It has been ~disposed of.
Many of the posts had the 'delete message' and I used them. The one's still here --did not-- have that show-up as an option.
I'll try the eraser again, thanks for the help.

AAR--this time, with the eraser did elicit the delete response option, and so I did. Thank's Blaze

Do not necessarily attribute someone's nasty or inappropriate actions as intended when it may be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

Posts: 1291 | Location: Delray Beach | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I went through that once a year at my old job. I'd just keep my mouth shut and my G26 concealed on my ankle. I did discuss a plan with my immediate co-workers, who I knew and trusted (I never told them I carried, but I think most of them assumed I did). We identified egress routes from our office, a route away from the building to avoid open fields of fire, which doors we could count on to actually slow down an attacker, and everybody had something handy at their desk that could be used as a weapon in a pinch.

At the new job, active shooter training usually involves sim guns, eye protection, and a closed school, dorm, or local business. It's a lot more beneficial, and a lot more fun Big Grin.

Posts: 8573 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
And the response might clue you in on how little the employers actually care.

They're just checking a box.
Yup, they are only doing it for insurance and CYA purposes.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Zip it up. Attend and listen and keep your feelings to yourself. Make your own plans tailored to your situation. I'm not planning on playing hero but I ain't going out cowering in a corner.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Just don't go shooting your mouth off or anyone else's for that matter during the training and you'll be fine.

Posts: 10950 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

If your workplace is like this, don't be the guy that got defenestrated. Say nothing and just smile and nod if he makes eye contact.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grapes of Wrath
Picture of Wino
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
My wife's company made them all watch a run, hide, fight video that the US govt put out. It was decent enough for the minimal info that was included, dumbed down to the lowest common denominator.

I work for a megacorp. About 3 or 4 years ago they made this an annual mandatory training. "Run, Hide, Fight".

Interestingly enough, the fight portion they recommended "use any and all available items to fight the attacker until the threat is completely eliminated".

Of course, this is a no-guns-zero-tolerance workplace.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post