SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    potable water container that won't freeze? Such a thing?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

potable water container that won't freeze? Such a thing? Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
Is there a container for drinking water that can be stored in freezing conditions that won't freeze? Without electricity of course Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19108 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Put your water container in a cooler?

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it's a matter of time. Enough insulation will keep it from freezing for a while, but the contents will eventually get to the ambient air temperature. How long do you need it to stay liquid?

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What would soncorn do?
Picture of soncorn
posted Hide Post
Nalgene bottles won’t be damaged by frozen water. But it is just a matter of time with any container in freezing conditions before the water freezes.

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state.
- Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

Posts: 1387 | Location: Fort Worth, TX, USA | Registered: October 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, For a while. Have to haul water at times and leave it. Was hoping there was some kind on new technology type container that would somehow keep it from freezing. Guess not.

John has a
long moustashe
Picture of john1
posted Hide Post
An arctic canteen works for me.

Posts: 590 | Location: Rural NW Oklahoma | Registered: June 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Isn't there something from high school chemistry that says if you put the water under pressure it won't freeze at 32 F , but a lower temp depending on how much pressure?

Or, maybe add a hint of salt or something else to the water?

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bushpilot
posted Hide Post
Hello ORC, cheap solar panel (HF) wired to a used battery eating pad placed under the container may work.

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dlc444
posted Hide Post
Is this for the still?

-.---.----.. -.---.----.. -.---.----..
It seems to me that any law that is not enforced and can't be enforced weakens all other laws.

Posts: 4357 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Underground storage.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is this for the still?

Wink but no.

Thanks guys, some thoughtful suggestions.

I gratefully appreciate it.

Saluki
posted Hide Post
I use a thermos, it lasts a long time, not forever though.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
I need storage for up to a couple weeks or more.

10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Containers made from certain radioactive materials would be able to stay warm for thousands of years. However, there would be other side effects shall we say. Was personal longevity an important consideration for you?

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
Isn't there something from high school chemistry that says if you put the water under pressure it won't freeze at 32 F , but a lower temp depending on how much pressure?

There might be some good theory there, but I don't know if it would be practical. First of all, it would be a vacuum, not pressure, to lower the freezing point of water. You'd need a setup capable of pulling, say, 1/1000 atm, that would protect from freezing down to about -25C.

1 mbar is basically outer space already, at least for our purposes. Might as well go for a perfect vacuum. That would be some pretty serious lab equipment.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16263 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post