SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Yelp to begin reporting "racist businesses"
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yelp to begin reporting "racist businesses" Login/Join 
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
how do you know if the restaurant is good?

Personally, I go there and try it.

This reflects poorly on us as a society when we must have a third party tell us what we need to think.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15722 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I am a leaf
on the wind...
posted Hide Post
I use Yelp to locate nearby restaurants, have not read a single user review.

Posts: 2122 | Location: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: August 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob at the Beach
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
quote:
Originally posted by KLGUY:
And who determines what racist behavior is?

The Left

Anyone with a chip on their shoulder
Anyone having a bad day
Anyone with an agenda

Posts: 1473 | Location: Boardwalk, Va Beach | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have never used a Yelp review to make a decision on any business . Never will .

Posts: 4063 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
I wonder if Yelp recognizes the liability they assume by publishing unverified accounts of alleged "racism" and the damages they incur from businesses that suffer from unfounded claims?

Posts: 1723 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
quote:

Anyone that doesn’t like what you do.

and anyone who just doesn’t like you, but then be assured, Yelp’s investigating team has...Top Men

Posts: 13277 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
quote:

The Left

Not just "The Left", but anyone that wants to extort businesses for the monetary gain beyond politics. So easy to do because Yelp won't conduct actual investigation(s) into the basis of the complaints. The crime of EXTORTION exists, but with law enforcement being marginalized and "de-funded", it's going to be far more commonplace.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10205 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I received this email this morning from Yelp Business:

and saw this new "open to all" determination on our page:

Still trying to get to the bottom of it. Yelp is not quite as bad as google business/places, but near it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post

Yelp jumped the shark quite a while back. At first it was a useful tool, now just used by tools. Every single time something has 4-5 stars, we immediately shitcan eating or staying there because those reviews end up being bought with goods or services in return for a good review.

Posts: 2833 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
Here are the options (these were filled out for us by a Yelp Representative at setup).

I see a lot of "damned if you do" & "damned if you don't" opportunity here.

"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:

Racists.

My real life experience has been that people who see race in everything are the biggest racists.

In terms of people being racist towards me, it wasn't white people. It's the group that accuses others of being racist. The group that looks down on the darker toned people in their own group. Roll Eyes

Posts: 13130 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Racists.

My real life experience has been that people who see race in everything are the biggest racists.

In terms of people being racist towards me, it wasn't white people. It's the group that accuses others of being racist. The group that looks down on the darker toned people in their own group. Roll Eyes
A guy I know, a "person of color", has told me numerous times that he can't be considered racist simply because he is a "person of color". Ummm, suuure... He made a blatantly racist FB post, so I called him on it, boom, he unfriended and blocked me. Awwww, shucks.

Sure Yelp, what could possibly go wrong with your plan.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6218 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:
Here are the options (these were filled out for us by a Yelp Representative at setup).

Let's make it easier.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43906 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
Nailed it.

No way to NOT choose an answer either. Once I logged in...I had to pick one.

I just closed the window, unsaved. We'll see how it goes. Luckily, my customer base doesn't expect a walk-in location for my products and services. I'm on yelp, because like many of these sites, if you don't have an account you cannot address and control the information spread about your company. Even with an account...you get very little say. It's extortion, like a paid DUNS account, Better Business Bureau, and even Google Business. Pay them or you won't like what they say about you.
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:

Let's make it easier.

www.rikrlandvs.com

Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:

Anyone named Karen....

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37983 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ace31
posted Hide Post
Just like banks filling out SAR forms.....Sheeze what a crock of shit...

Posts: 2166 | Location: Wherever the voices in my head tell me to go | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It looks to me as though folks like L. Lin Wood will never be able to clear their calendar. Wink

Silent

Posts: 1027 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
User content sites like Yelp are purely subjective with their reviews. Their bookmarks and mapping feature I like using, however that's about it. I don't look at reviews for their positives but, I look for all the negative reviews and see if there's any patterns or consistency to be aware of. Same with Amazon and others.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:

If you’re white, it’s racist.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7947 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Maybe not so fabulous after all
posted Hide Post
If you're reading this thread, the thing to do is to never use Yelp. Delete it off your phone and stop reading reviews there.

Yelp is a shady company and always has been. They're basically legalized blackmail. People give your business bad reviews and then Yelp comes to you and says "If you pay us, we'll derank the negative reviews and not show them to users."

Their business model alone is reason enough to never use them.

Posts: 127 | Registered: August 31, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post