SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    March 2024 Marks 56th Consecutive Month of More Than One Million Gun Sale Background Checks
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

March 2024 Marks 56th Consecutive Month of More Than One Million Gun Sale Background Checks Login/Join 
posted
https://www.breitbart.com/2nd-...e-background-checks/

The FBI reported a total of 2,626,068 checks during March 2024, slightly over one million of which were checks on concealed carry permit applicants, permit holders, etc.

The National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF) adjusted the reported data to reflect only background checks for gun sales and noted a final figure of 1,442,061 checks.

The NSSF noted in a release obtained by Breitbart News, “March 2024 marks the 56th month in a row that has exceeded 1 million adjusted background checks in a single month.”

It should be noted that the figure of 1,442,061 NICS checks for guns sales does not mean 1,442,061 guns were sold. Background checks are not conducted on firearms but on those who wish to purchase firearms, and someone who passes a NICS check can buy more than one gun at once. Moreover, nearly half the states in the Union allow people with concealed carry permits to purchase guns in their respective states without going through a NICS check (because the concealed carry permit requires a regular NICS check for renewal).

The sales/transfers conducted via concealed carry permits would be in addition to those conducted via the one million plus NICS checks for gun sales.

Posts: 12699 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
too bad there isn't a breakdown of how many long guns, how many handguns, and even further breakdown by caliber and manufacture.

I always wonder how many are still buying .22 LR rifles, which is how I started out.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
Background checks are not conducted on firearms but on those who wish to purchase firearms, and someone who passes a NICS check can buy more than one gun at once.

WHAT? They don't run a BG check on the actual firearm???
That's some fine reporting right there. Roll Eyes

Posts: 5764 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I wonder if the background checks for ammo purchases in CA are included in the total # NICS checks?

Stoooopid law...

Every time you buy a box of ammo, they run a check.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3487 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PR64:
I wonder if the background checks for ammo purchases in CA are included in the total # NICS checks?

Stoooopid law...

Every time you buy a box of ammo, they run a check.
Probably. They probably also count the background checks for folks who get an LTC (License To Carry a concealed weapon, aka CCW or CHL in some states) or COE (Certificate Of Eligibility, needed to work in a gun store). Fun fact: If you get a COE and an 03 FFL (Collector of Curios and Relics), you are exempt from the ammo ban nonsense and can order online, shipped direct to you (at the address on you 03 FFL) with none of that background check nonsense. Don’t know if that helps when picking up a box or two at the LGS though.

Posts: 6920 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Also, a few states now require a background check when you pick up your gun from a gunsmith after leaving it for repair or customization.
Another stupid law.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16525 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
Also, a few states now require a background check when you pick up your gun from a gunsmith after leaving it for repair or customization.
Another stupid law.

For a gun you already own & likely had a BG done already?
Roll Eyes

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15345 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
<<snip>>
I always wonder how many are still buying .22 LR rifles, which is how I started out.

I know that I still buy .22s! Out of the last 3 purchases, 2 of them were .22s; a 75th Anniversary 10/22, and a S&W Victory 22 pistol. I now own as many .22s as all other calibers combined, and I never stop looking for my "next .22". Big Grin

Posts: 4592 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
Another stupid law.

For a gun you already own & likely had a BG done already?
Roll Eyes

Yes. For a gun you already own, it requires a new NICS check for them to allow you to take it home again.
Extremely stupid law.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16525 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post