SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question for Pilots and / or Flight Instructors
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for Pilots and / or Flight Instructors Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
I'm a little out of the loop on this and really don't know how much to charge.

What's the going rate for Flight Reviews? Flight portion conducted in a typical single, up to the Bonanza / C-210 types, and light twins, up to Baron / C-310? How about larger twins like 421 or Navajo?

If you're an instructor, what do you charge?

If you're a pilot, how much do you usually pay?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30539 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I asked my flight instructor friend, and he said it's usually just the normal hourly rate for flight instruction in general. In this case it would be that rate times the 2 hours it takes for the review

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16260 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
I just did a BFR and IPC in my V35B; 1 hour on the ground and 1.6 in the air. Paid the CFII $200

This message has been edited. Last edited by: aileron,

Posts: 1472 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seems to be $150 to $200 for the instructor's time in the Boston area.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies, both in this thread and also the emails that I have received.

Reason I asked, my Flight Instructor Certificate, which has a two-year life before it becomes a dead doggie, is coming up for renewal, end of October. I'm trying to decide whether it's worth the time (two full days) and cost to jump through the FAA's hoops to renew it.

At 85 and with limited mobility, it's not easy climbing in and out of airplanes. The FAA decided that my medical certificate should not be renewed after prostate cancer, so while there are some types of instruction that I can legally do, I can not act as PIC (Pilot In Command) without a current medical certificate.

With this limitation, a fair portion of activity as an instructor would have to come from Flight Reviews (where the Pilot receiving the review is acting as PIC), as opposed to some other types of instruction where the Pilot receiving my services is not eligible to act as PIC.

It might be time to hang up the gloves. Haven't decided yet. I'd need a new avatar here, too.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30539 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of skywag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
It might be time to hang up the gloves. Haven't decided yet. I'd need a new avatar here, too.

I have enjoyed https://www.aviationseminars.c...-instructor-renewal/ for FIRC. All on line...............no reading is required.

No spur hangups allowed!

Posts: 172 | Location: United States | Registered: January 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skywag:

I have enjoyed https://www.aviationseminars.c...-instructor-renewal/ for FIRC. All on line...............no reading is required.
Thanks for the pointer, I had never heard of them before. Unfortunately that is 180° out, for my needs. I'm hearing impaired, so I need a FIRC that is 100% text-based; I need to read everything, rather than try to understand spoken material.

The course that I have found that best satisfies my needs is published by Gleim, all text, proceed at your own pace, sort of, I have done enough of these (CFI since the late 1960s) that I can pretty much whiz through them, but Gleim puts a slow-down timer on them in order to comply with FAA's minimum course time requirements.

Gleim also has the price advantage, $99 for the course. They quote another $25 for processing the FAA paperwork, but that fee has always been waived in the past.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
C172 is about $129/h dry
$6/gl for fuel (approx 9 gl/hr)
CFI - $85/hr.

That's what the costs are at the school I fly with.

Posts: 6061 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post