SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ideas for a Guys Trip?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ideas for a Guys Trip? Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted
I’ve been doing an annual “Mancation” with some old buddies every year for the last four years. Just a chance to decompress and rehash old stories, usually involving incredible amounts of alcohol. The last 4 have been at a secluded house that was damaged badly by the last hurricane.

We’re tossing ideas and agree we want something this year with slightly less drinking, but with more to do activity wise. I can come up with some ideas, but wanted to quiz the collective, as I’m sure this is a common thing for many of you.

Something outdoors, we all like guns (when sober), 4 wheeling, fishing, etc. Not over the top cost wise (NC/SC/VA areas-not looking for flight distances) and probably more of a weekend thing than a week long trip.

I thought about some of the 4x4 only access outer banks places, but I think we’d get bored. Same thing with camping without any ancillary activities. Need some scheduled fun.

Probably the March-April timeframe, so not summer time. Usually there are four of us, could be a couple more involved if we wanted to bring them.

Appreciate any replies.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Villebilly Deluxe
posted Hide Post
Edisto Island, SC might fit the bill. Kayaking and fishing are good. Short drive to Charleston for night life. Not too far from Savannah.

Posts: 393 | Location: Bluegrass State | Registered: February 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
4 wheeling, fishing, etc.

[snip]

NC/SC/VA areas

Hatfield-McCoy trail system? Camp along the way?

God bless America.

Posts: 13495 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
White water rafting?

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
The Canaan Valley, WV. https://www.canaanvalley.org/outdoor-recreation

Pretty much all outdoor activities, nice area with rental cabins available. A quick google search turned up ranges. April should put you out of ski season so perhaps lower rentals.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 717 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paddy314:
Edisto Island, SC might fit the bill. Kayaking and fishing are good. Short drive to Charleston for night life. Not too far from Savannah.

I can't argue with this at all. One of my favorite places.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
We do a yearly week long trout fishing trip with some paint ball thrown in.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
My apologies. I'll be in the corner with the DUNCE cap on.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Skull Leader,

Posts: 11164 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Deep sea fishing charter.

Last I checked "Hiking in Glacier National Park." was not "(NC/SC/VA areas-not looking for flight distances)".

Read the OP folks.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Stretching your distance but what about southwest Florida? Fort Myers? Do some totally redneck guy shit and go out on an airboat tour of the Everglades. Go to the Everglades Rod & Gun Club. Do the environmental touristy thing and take the Park Service tour that goes through the Everglades and out to the gulf. Go down to Key West and go see Hemingway House to admire he epitome of manliness. Go out charter boat fishing on the gulf.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
The boys and I always plan ski trips. In fact, I met my wife on one of our infamous skiing excursions.

In Utah is where it all begin, but we soon started going elsewhere. Big Sky, Jackson Hole, Whistler-blackcomb...so many awesome memories.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mecum Auto Auction - Indianapolis.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
We’ve got ski options in NC, but it may be past season when we can get together. Florida is actually in play, I’ve got family down there.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pebble.

-------------

The sadder but wiser girl for me.

Posts: 1057 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you can find cheap (not hard to do) airfare, do Vegas, Baby!
Then go to Monument Valley.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16087 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
More guys need to do such trips. I've come across too many guys in their older years, who've devolved into hermits. Their wives are more engaging and fun than their husbands...my dad comes to mind. Big Grin

The last 18+ years, around a core group of four friends, every year we go to Arizona during baseball Spring Training. Over the years the group has grown to over 10, and some years shrank to 3. Marriage, kids, divorce, moves, job-changes, financial dips...its all happened and this trip remains the constant among all of us. We're spread-out around 3-4 states and catch-up over 4-days, watching one game a day, enjoying the drinks, chatting up those around us, mixing in some hikes, golf used to in the cards, that added up so, driving range at best, shooting range and of course at least one or, two good dinners.

Whatever you and your friends do, just make sure you commit, everyone knows this and their spouses/partners know this and you value each others company.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jump in the jeep and come down to the gulf coast. Got a few jeep spots and a bunch of things to do for everyone.

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
If you can find cheap (not hard to do) airfare, do Vegas, Baby!
Then go to Monument Valley.
As long as Vegas is an option, there is always the Chicken Ranch.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
Here's a week-long driving tour full of toxic masculinity stuff you can do each day. This would be my perfect trip through The South:

Anniston, AL = CMP Store. Then a 4.5 hour drive to:

Mobile, AL = USS Alabama tour. Then a 3.5 hour drive to:

Pensacola, FL = National Naval Aviation Museum. Then a 5.5 hour drive to:

Warner Robbins, GA = Museum of Aviation. Then a 2.5 hour drive to:

Pooler (Savannah) GA = Mighty Eighth Air Force Museum

Good food and drinking establishments in each location.

Edited to add: Apologies, I missed the part about a weekend vs. a week-long trip. Pick a city and have a blast doing local stuff after the listed activity.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted Hide Post
Bourbon trial? I'm sure you could find some places to shoot guns along the way.

Posts: 1315 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post