New
Find
Notify
Tools

I may be sick Login/Join 
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted
Gentlemen, I have rooted thru the safe and sold off the few odd guns and things I had.

A Handi-rifle with 223 & 12ga barrel, an extra PACLITE barrel for a Ruger 22 pistol, an Sks and a spam can…you get the gist

I have what I want, I can’t think of anything new I might want, I shoot most of my collection, those that I don’t are inherited and I don’t want to wear them out.

Is something wrong with me?
I haven’t, not wanted a particular gun in I don’t know how long.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11295 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
No

Posts: 107662 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds more like contentment. I do have that occasionally, but it only seems to last a few weeks.

I would say that I am currently in that state. With SHOT Show coming up in a couple of weeks, I can't say how long it will last.

There were 3 firearms from last year's show that got me out of being content. Beretta A300 Patrol in the tiger stripe camo, an FDE FN510, and a Canik Rival SFX S are what did it for me last year.

Posts: 247 | Location: Utah | Registered: June 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Nope. I haven't bought any guns in ~4 years.

Just don't have a strong desire for anything else (that I could reasonably afford), and have had other priorities for my "fun money" anyway.

Posts: 32533 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Is something wrong with me?
Nah.

There are always guns I think "That'd be neat to have," but I remind myself the safe is full, I don't even often shoot what I have already, and there are plenty of other things I'd like to have, as well.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
I don’t have very many guns anymore. The ones I have, I’m happy with.

There is one I’d like to have, if I could get a good deal, but I’m not looking very hard.

Posts: 3241 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The core members of this forum have grown older with it. In our younger days, we were running around, grabbing up guns, at least I was and I know I'm not alone.

I have everything I need for self-defense and then some. I've got some nifty collectibles. I'm done.

More than that- at least for me- the market has changed. New production firearms are plentiful but the days of 500 dollar near mint used SIG classics and Walther 9mm pistols no one was really paying attention to and therefore easy to obtain, are over. I feel sorry for the young guys who might have the collecting gene; they just don't know how it was.

Hell, twenty or more years ago, I bought a Browning High Power off of GunsAmerica; one of the first Browning Arms-marked FN High Powers to come into the country in 1954. As new, unfired and with the original magazine. Got it for a song. I asked the guy I bought it from how long he had had it listed. Oh, about 8 months, he said. And all because he had one tiny little shitty picture of it that most people would pass over as just another HP, but that my keen collector's eye recognized for what it was. Those days are long gone. These days, that pistol would have been pounced on by collectors and gone in two days.

I can't justify anything new. When the Walther Q4 steel frame came out a few years back, I had to have one but that's the last of it for me, I think. I bought it off of Gunbroker before they started their sales tax bullshit and bought it from a dealer who didn't charge any CC fees, but you wouldn't catch me bothering with GB these days.

Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
For Merry Christmas to me this year, I bought a CMMG Banshee and replaced a clone Remington 870 home defense shotgun with a Mossberg 590 SPX.

I am done and I am blessed…those, along with what’s in my safe, are MORE than I’ll ever need.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I may have met “contentment” as someone mentioned.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11295 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I haven't bought:
  • a handgun since 2019 (a lightly used P229).
  • a long gun since 2018 (I went hog wild that year).

Probably more likely to sell an semi-auto shotty or an AR before I buy anything. If I were to buy something, it'd either be a 12-gauge over/under or an AR in .22LR. Not really in a hurry for either.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23297 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of ridewv
    posted Hide Post
    No, this can be perfectly normal, in fact I went quite a while being content.
    But recently I decided I needed an AR. Then I made the mistake of reading through the "I really like my US made P210's" thread, and didn't have a US made one so...
    But I'm done now.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7108 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Peace through
    superior firepower
    Picture of parabellum
    posted Hide Post
    A good rifle is a necessity. Simple as that.

And now, you have it.

Picture of ridewv
    posted Hide Post
    Yes and it is perfect for my need, thank you. But then I decided I needed one with an optic mounted for shooting targets a little further out.
    Anyway like MikeinNC I'm done now having everything I need, and some I really don't so I need to think about selling a few. Unless my son and SIL are interested.....

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7108 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Thanks guys, I may have met “contentment” as someone mentioned.

If "SHTF" right now, do you have what you need?

Yes- Then be content

No- Then get what you need to get there

Until then. buy/get/make/scrounge more ammo

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8354 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Savor the limelight
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    ... a spam can…

You didn't eat this, did you? If not, then you are fine.

Posts: 10986 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    semi-reformed sailor
    Picture of MikeinNC
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by trapper189:
    quote:
    ... a spam can…

You didn't eat this, did you? If not, then you are fine.

Hahaha, no. I did find last week were Mrs. Mike had taken it upon herself to check dates on the cans in the pantry, and my emergency (hurricane,storm,blizzard) food is now gone.

I Am The Walrus
    posted Hide Post
    Nothing wrong with that. Better to have a few guns for various ranges and be good at them than to have a collection of guns you are not good at.

"do not fear the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks; fear the man who has practiced 1 kick 10,000 times." ~Bruce Lee

Posts: 13132 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Non-Miscreant
    posted Hide Post
    I have 2 guns in my safe room I haven't even unpacked. Yeah, I didn't "need" them. So there they sit, in the bag they came home in.

I bought them because they were cool. Who knows how long ago. One was one of the short shottys. It was either with a 12" or 14" barrel. Its a Mossberg. Looks like a fun gun, and might be if I ever took the wrapping off. Don't remember when I brought it home, probably 4 full years ago. Maybe more, maybe less. Of course I've never shot it, its still in the wrapper.

The other is a SIG P939, I think. That was long ago, too. Don't know why I bought it. I have no need for it. I don't like selling guns, we've had enough of that shit.

I read the forum multiple times a day. Every new gun seems like a "must have". But none are as good as my old P210s. I like them better. I do have a "new in box "P210-7". I bought it one day because I've never seen one before, for sale. Its still been wasted, but a great gun. Maybe I should sell it. They made maybe 400 of them. All hand made, too. Great gun. Why would I buy one of the junk new 22s?

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Perception
    posted Hide Post
    I'm pretty young still, but I've reached firearm contentment as well.

I used to want to own one of literally everything, but between market dilution (when I started Sig only had the classic P series guns so not many models on that list) and the realization that I have all my bases covered now I just don't have the constant itch to get something new all the time. I've got defensive pistols, a shotgun, and a couple of rifles that can harvest the smallest and largest game in North America.

Every now and then something pops up that's a huge improvement over what I've already got (Sig P365 I'm looking at you) so I snap that up, but I don't have any empty niches at this point.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
    "Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
    "I did," said Ford, "it is."
    "So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
    "It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
    "You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
    "Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
    "But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
    "Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3516 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Expert308
    posted Hide Post
    As I get older I find myself shooting less. I inventoried my safe recently and realized there's a lot of guns in there that are either duplicates or not used anymore, so I'm going to go on a selling spree shortly. When I'm through with that I'll have reduced my gun count by at least half, maybe two thirds. There are maybe one or two things I don't have that do have some appeal, but when I sit down and think about it I realize they would probably become safe queens too. It's been almost 2 years since I last bought a gun. I also think about what happens when I pass - I'm really the only gun person in my family, so who would I leave the stuff to, especially the NFA items?

Posts: 7272 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post