SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How can all package delivery services be so effed up?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How can all package delivery services be so effed up? Login/Join 
Picture of JJexp
posted
Seriously?

I travel from time to time, and occasionally my wife gets to tag along. Currently, we’re out of the country. Have been since the 19th of December and will be until the 2nd of January.

When we go away, I put a hold on everything. USPS, FedEx, UPS, and even DHL just because I have an account with them.

In the time we’ve been away, the post office has delivered 4 packages, UPS has delivered 2, and FedEx 1. I spoke with every carrier, and they all assured me that they’d send their drivers back to pick up the mistaken deliveries, but none of them have done so.

How do I even begin to address this? The neighbors that I’m friendly with aren’t around, so everything is just going to sit on my very visible front porch until we return. Do I have any recourse whatsoever if stuff is missing? I usually give my normal delivery drivers 50 dollar gift cards for Christmas, but after this fiasco I think that’s done with. Mad

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suspect you do have recourse, but expect it to take a significant portion of your time. I think if you can provide documentation you should be in luck. Not so sure about the USPS though. Take pics of the items when you return.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
I usually give my normal delivery drivers 50 dollar gift cards for Christmas, but after this fiasco I think that’s done with.

I wouldn't be too hasty, it probably wasn't your normal drivers.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6215 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
It took USPS 5 days to deliver a priority package we sent. The distance, less than 15 miles. I could have walked there and back multiple times before they delivered it. I still don’t have proof it was delivered either.

Posts: 12468 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
It took USPS 5 days to deliver a priority package we sent. The distance, less than 15 miles. I could have walked there and back multiple times before they delivered it. I still don’t have proof it was delivered either.

why send it at all?

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
To cut to the chase I’m in the delivery boy business.

We cannot for love or money hire anyone worth a shit. It takes about ten hires to get a person who sticks a year. They are finally worth employing at about 6 months. Lazy does not start to explain the lack of work ethic.

I’ve decided I need to move next to an Amazon fulfillment center if I plan to survive in the future. The lack of delivery drivers is what will take out humanity not a comet.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5151 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:

why send it at all?

She is on an LDS mission and in the MTC. They only accept commercially delivered packages.

Posts: 12468 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
Why would you place seven orders when you’re not going to be home?

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2840 | Location: Marana, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was in the delivery biz. For a while anyway. It was a vital commodity, and needed to be delivered right and on time. It was nuclear medicine. Needed by hospitals for cancer treatment. The office was in Marquette. I would drive as far east as the Soo. As far west as Iron River. North to Calumet. Newberry, Manistique and Escanaba too. Pretty much the entire Yoop. All routes were run at night. In winter it was a life threatening trip, often I was the only vehicle moving in blizzard conditions. Throw in a few log trucks, some deer and an occasional drunk and it was exciting to say the least. I had to prep the deliveries in the lab before I left too.
Given all these factors you would think I was well paid. Vital stuff, right?
Wrong.
A dollar over minimum wage. Did not take me too long to figure out someone was making a lot of $$$ while I took a lot of risk.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16096 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridgerat:

This is what I was wondering too. UPS is in the delivery business, not the ‘hold my stuff until I get back’ business. If the deliveries were part of some Recurring order from Amazon or whatever, they should be the ones holding deliveries. Neither are good options though.

Posts: 3954 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reflex/deflex 64:
To cut to the chase I’m in the delivery boy business.

We cannot for love or money hire anyone worth a shit. It takes about ten hires to get a person who sticks a year. They are finally worth employing at about 6 months.

Sounds like the production manager where I used to work.

This is what comes of the free stuff mentality, which starts at home, and is exacerbated by "our" government.

quote:
Originally posted by ridgerat:

I was wondering the same thing, then thought "Nah. Nobody's that simple."

quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Given all these factors you would think I was well paid. Vital stuff, right?
Wrong.
A dollar over minimum wage. Did not take me too long to figure out someone was making a lot of $$$ while I took a lot of risk.

That was essentially the reason said production manager gave for not being able to get good people that would stay: Insufficient remuneration.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
Just because I disappear for weeks at a time, doesn’t mean the world stops. One of the orders was a recurring dog food order from PetCo, another a recurring order from staples. Some were Christmas gifts from family that didn’t arrive in time before we left, and one was personal.

Whether or not I place orders on the road, I expect people to do their jobs in a professional fashion, so if your company offers a service, you need to provide said service. If you can’t, fuck you, go do something else.

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
quote:
I usually give my normal delivery drivers 50 dollar gift cards for Christmas, but after this fiasco I think that’s done with.

Not to mention it probably doesn't have much to do with the driver's regardless. They are paid to deliver what is put on their truck, which apparently they did. I don't think the hold happens on their end, it's supposed to keep your packages from ever making it onto the truck for delivery.

----------
The first 100 people to make it out alive...get to live.

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xwesler:
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
quote:

Not to mention it probably doesn't have much to do with the driver's regardless. They are paid to deliver what is put on their truck, which apparently they did. I don't think the hold happens on their end, it's supposed to keep your packages from ever making it onto the truck for delivery.

A fair assessment, thank you for providing that bit of clarity for me.