SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Avoiding probate: what do I want to know?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Avoiding probate: what do I want to know? Login/Join 
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amhaynie:
I am not an attorney, but my best friend is a Probate attorney and we have discussed this many times. The only real way to guarantee no probate is to go through an attorney and get a good trust.

Yes, this. I just went through this with my late father who passed late last year but had set up a revocable trust a number of years ago, and this allowed my brother and I to avoid probate and expedite the process. There may be other ways, but this is the one that was recommended by his attorney and it worked as advertised. His bank accounts also had Pay Upon Death orders which made those even easier to deal with (w/ proof of identification and a death certificate).

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Thank you. We'll be talking about the "W. W. Woodman Revocable Trust" (Woodman Trust for short). The way it was explained to me, my crate will go into a Living Trust. With the numbered Swiss accounts. My stockpile of government cheese. Maybe even the vehicle(s).

I was mixing up "Living Will" with "Living Trust".

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post