SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    High Triglycerides and Low HDL - Need Help
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

High Triglycerides and Low HDL - Need Help Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Just my 2 cents--
High Triglycerides - Cut the red meat. More fish, chicken.
In addition, my Cholesterol will be higher than usual if I eat any shrimp about a week before my blood test. I am assuming lobster would also raise my cholesterol.
High Triglycerides, High Cholesterol, Higher blood sugars = Just my opinion, Diabetes possibility on the horizon. These 3 things seem to be out of control with most diabetics.
Lineman

https://winred.com/ <<--Support the cause.

Posts: 178 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: July 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not a doctor, or even a particularly smart man. But I know that diet does have a direct correlation to our health. Eating healthy leads to being healthier, the problem is what is eating healthy? There are countless contradicting books, and even more websites and videos that all say they are the best. Who do you trust?

Posts: 1832 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lineman101:
Just my 2 cents--
High Triglycerides - Cut the red meat. More fish, chicken.

Keep your day job. Razz

The problem isn't meat - it is sugar.
Insulin Resistance can be much better handled with less high glycemic food like bread, pasta, processed foods, sugar in most forms including many fruits.
If red meat was the problem then why do carnivore dieters have great Triglyceride numbers? Confused

Posts: 23197 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
It's interesting to see non-fasting results. It still says a lot about metabolic process. My fasting non-hdl (remnant cholesterol) is between 16-20. VLDLs are chylomicrons that begin the breakdown and delivery of triglycerides. Their residence time is short, or should be.

I'm convinced HDL is suppressed with inflammation. I also order a CRP ( C-reactive protein) for inflammation. I didn't really get above 50 until I got my lipid panel under control. Although my LDL has gone up and total has gone above 200-220, my trigs/hdl remain less than equal to 2. HDL is created mainly in the gut. Gut health is our brain health.

Triglycerides are three fat molecules grouped into one glycerol molecule and come the liver and fatty food. So, that's why you're going to die, BBQ Wink

Posts: 3595 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Lipid panels are done solely to sell drugs.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12605 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
My Dr told me 1 glass of red wine a day can help the good type. My triglycerides usually go up when I overeat or make a habit of eating bad stuff.

Posts: 17944 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
In the same boat. HDL and LDL normal but triglycerides in the 500's. No diet or exercise changed any of it. Started medication about 5 years ago. Under 150 every checkup since.

Posts: 7650 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
From you dining list, 'egg, and toast with butter and honey for breakfast and pork BBQ and macaroni salad for lunch before my appointment" are killers.

If it's really difficult for you to put off breakfast for several hours, then schedule an appointment for early in the day and just tuff it out. I'd also suggest no snacks after 8 pm. You just might find your numbers are much better.

Fasting a few hours is not difficult for me. I guess it's what you're accustomed to. I do drink a bit of black coffee though. I schedule for mid day when all of the "I gotta eat folks" are gone. Usually in and out in minutes.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
To the OP: triglycerides (TG) will go very high after a meal like you had—that’s the body doing its thing. LDL is calculated from the triglycerides so it will throw that off.
You absolutely need to repeat the test with an overnight fast.

If TG is still high, you need to cut back on sugars, including fruit juices especially.

Posts: 18353 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post