My boys suckered me into buying a power rack. I say suckered because the rack wasn’t too expensive, all the other stuff we “needed” to use the rack is another story. Anyhow, it’s 4’ wide by 3’6” deep. I got 6-3/4” 4x8 sheets of OSB and 4-3/4” 4’x6’ pieces of horse stall mat.
The boys want it to be 8’x12’, but I’m looking at it thinking 8’x8’ would be plenty. They want to use the weight bench outside the rack for dumbbells, but 4’x8’ in front of the rack seems like enough to me.
How big should this thing be?
Posts: 14925 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007
I vote 4x8 outsde the rack is enough for deadlifts, too, though I don't think I'd have selected OSB. Depending on how heavy ya'll might go I'm not sure it'll hold up over time. I'd probably spring for a hardwood ply, at least.
I can see doing the 8x8 if you plan to have the rack itself on the platform.
Posts: 6735 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005
The rack will be on the platform. The platform will be on the concrete floor in the basement.
I already bought the OSB. If we do 8’x8’, I can do three layers of the OSB plus the horse stall mats. If we do 8’x12’, then two layers of OSB plus the horse stall mat. It’s a bolt down rack, but we’re going to bolt it to the platform instead of the concrete floor.
Posts: 14925 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007
I think my rack platform was 4x8, but all my work was inside the power rack….
BS-3595-C401. In Theory, this will be the "seal" verifying that I am an attorney, and when I was licensed/the authority was last contacted, and confirmed it to be active.
Posts: 6919 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Low Country, SC. | Registered: May 24, 2007
I don’t know how heavy you’re going, but that seam seems like a bad idea.
BS-3595-C401. In Theory, this will be the "seal" verifying that I am an attorney, and when I was licensed/the authority was last contacted, and confirmed it to be active.
Posts: 6919 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Low Country, SC. | Registered: May 24, 2007