SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Paint Sprayer Opinions?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Paint Sprayer Opinions? Login/Join 
posted
Hey all,

I'd like to get a paint spray for around the house stuff, I'll have a few projects coming up; painting the garage, some bedrooms and maybe using it to stain the fence. I've never used paint sprayers before, I've heard horror stories of taking hours to clean them up. I'm considering something like this:

Graco Magnum X5 Airless Paint Sprayer
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gra...yer-262800/100634354

What do you all think? I don't mind spending the money if it'll be effective.

Thanks!

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Units like that are great for larger painting projects.
Not just the clean up issue but the fact that they paint better with heavier paints like latex and "throw" lots of paint fast.
For smaller or more detailed projects such as furniture, stains or a high quality finish paint then look for a HVLP self contained unit.
Those units don't work that well for say painting a room walls/ceiling but would be great for trim.
Cleanup is only a minor issue as there is cleanup with anything.
YMMV

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I'm sure you will get better responses from more knowledgeable members, but it is my understanding that Graco is one of the big names in spray guns and generally has a pretty good reputation.

Spray guns sure are nice when you have a lot to paint.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Not sure about big projects (walls/fences), but I was grateful for my dad's HVLP when we painted a large dresser & a few other furniture projects.

Very little overspray.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15327 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had a Titan sprayer for years. Great for lots of coverage quickly. Think I painted the entire interior of my garage (including ceiling) in a half hour with it. Check them out here: https://www.titantool.com/prod...es-electric-airless/

Posts: 1892 | Location: KY | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
When I finished my basement and attached garage, I used one of these from HD. It waorked great to blast 30 gallons of paint on the walls and ceiling.

Make sure you do a thorough cleaning or the next time you pull it out, you'll be cussing.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They're great for larger area's or outside (if it's not too windy). BUT, for areas like bedrooms they're too much work to tape off everything so it doesn't get oversprayed......ceilings, windows, trim and it's easier to just get a roller out.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Graco sells pressure rollers that work with its sprayers. Check YouTube, makes doing any major rolling very quick since you do not need to keep loading the roller from a tray.

I have one and am getting ready to do some painting before selling our house. You still have to mask off everything and use drop clothes, but the actual rolling goes real fast.

Cleanup of the sprayer, using water based paint, is not too bad. My sprayer can have a water hose attached to it to flush out the old paint.

Sgt. USMC 1970 - 1973

Posts: 411 | Location: Columbiana, Ohio  | Registered: May 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got the Graco, it's great I've shot 21 or 22 5gal. buckets of stain through it. I have a 3 level cedar sided home with decks and 165' of 6' high solid fence to maintain. I tried renting, but usually ended up with junk. One comment on the paint roller attachment, loaded with paint it is one heavy sob and when you are done painting with it, your arms will be as long as a gorillas.

Awake not woke

Posts: 567 | Location: Citrus Springs, Fl. | Registered: January 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Graco cheapened their brand when they moved into the box stores. They are still good, but the "prosumer" versions sold at HD deleted the primary filter and computer pressure controls. The pro models are still available at paint/tool dealers.

I use a RAC 5 gun, and I've found that a .015 orafice with a 6-8" fan is about right for interior residential work. That would be a 315 or 415 tip.

If you get a HD model, be sure to use well strained paint. Relying only on the pickup screen and the gun filter can get frustrating if you're using dirty paint.

It's all about the cleanup. After you get it clean, run a quart of spirits in it for storage. It helps for the next time you need it. For long term storage, get the Graco blue stuff.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8218 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
One more thing. The power roller is DA BOMB!!!

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8218 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just bought a couple months ago a graco pro x17 from home depot I love it. I used it on 4 large rooms 40 foot hall way and two story stairway, primer ceiling paint, and color coat. Pressure roller works great, and clean up is quick and easy. Tried a older 5 gallon can of primer and had nozzle clogging, use only new fresh paint and you won't have any problems. I hate painting this makes it easy.

Posts: 140 | Location: Western New York | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
If you do buy a sprayer:

Prep is still most of the job, and you will more efficiently paint things you didn't want to, if they aren't properly protected.

Even if you're spraying outside, consider wearing a respirator.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Bringing this back up. I want to buy a sprayer, mainly for stain/water sealer for a large deck and wood fence. I do not own an air compressor but wouldn't mind doing so if it made sense

Any updates you all can give, new recommendations

Posts: 5320 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
If you use a sprayer for a wall (or all walls), everything else will need to be masked off to prevent overspray.

After insisting otherwise, I had a contractor find out just this in my house. Painted an accent wall which was part of a plumbing reroute. He masked off the walls and ceiling about 2' and had the pressure down low.

Still had mist overspray on the other walls and ceiling. New paint job at zero additional cost. Wink

I do have one of those airless sprayers. Use it outside to spray doors, new trim, and the eaves of the house. For inside work - brush and roller.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
I recently remodeled my basement with a spare bedroom, exercise room, living room, storage area, wine cellar and bathroom after a house fire.

I purchased a graco X7 for the painting. I can see the appeal for the even coating and speed but after half the basement I shut it down and went to brush and roller.

There is a lot of setup and things to consider with a sprayer. The fact that it can clog and take 5 or 10 minutes or more to get setup again ruined the benefits for me.

I did buy a hand held unit and that was ok but not for walls or rooms. I ended up returning it all.

For me, who will use it sparingly, it just wasn't worth the cost or effort.

Its just to easy to get a high quality brush and cut in then roll.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4790 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I have a grayco airless sprayer. I bought it to do the new doors Mrs Mike wanted. 10 or so doors, both sides and edges. It was worth the $300 investment. I have loaned it out to several friends.

I used it to spray a built in bookcase. But I built a plastic bubble in the living room to prevent overspray.

You will spend a lot of time with taping off stuff.

If I only neede to do a door or a window, I’d use a smaller sprayer. Otherwise I’d roll it. But his house has texture all over it and spraying is better. Just know you will need to remove furniture, and mask off windows and trim.

I’ve been eyeballing a small handheld sprayer for when it comes up.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11284 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Definitely not gonna use it for interior painting, I actually enjoy using rollers and brushes

This for the deck and fence. Anyone use there's for outdoor satin and such?

Posts: 5320 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Grace HV2900 generally worked fine for stain on railing around the deck and stairs. A little sputter, but I think all my issues were operator error. I’d use it on the fence. And, probably will this year, even.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a Graco X5 when I finished my basement, 3 rooms, 900 sq ft plus all the doors and trim. It worked expecially well on doors and trim. Drywall soaks up a lot of paint and I did end up following the spayer with a wet roller just in a couple of spots. I would not have wanted to do all of that by hand.

For other than new construction, its hard to beat a power roller. Cleanup is easier on a power roller than a sprayer in my opinion

Posts: 582 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post