SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Survey question for those that work from home…
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Survey question for those that work from home… Login/Join 
Picture of smlsig
posted
Without getting into the details I’m wondering if people who primarily work from home for a company and use internet as in integral part of that work, are reimbursed or do you pay for it out of pocket.
Please feel free to expound about your situation, particularly about the size of your company.
Thanks.

Question:
Do you pay for your own internet service when working from home?

Choices:
Of course I do!
NFW I’m paying for company internet use!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6332 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I have home internet service anyway, so it's not really like I'm paying just to work. The family uses the connection at the same time when I'm working.

Back in the day when internet was only dial-up, you could only use your landline for one thing at a time and long distance cost extra. When I would work from home back then my employer would pay for the dial-up time, which would amount to about $400 a month when a typical phone bill was around $25/month.

Edited to add:
I should note that my company (approximately 12,500 employees) supplies the laptop and dual monitors used for work as well as a free cell phone & service.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16536 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Worked remote for 30 years. For a long time my company subsidized both internet and cell phones. They were phasing the subsidies out as I retired in 2020.
ETA:This was a Fortune 100 company.

Posts: 1971 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Powers77:
Worked remote for 30 years. For a long time my company subsidized both internet and cell phones. They were phasing the subsidies out as I retired in 2020.
ETA:This was a Fortune 100 company.

^^^ This, (but left the business pre-Covid thank Jesus daily).

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Didn't vote. First job they paid for it. Second they didn't.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6983 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a company cell phone and home internet service.

I pay for the internet myself.

They pay for my work cell phone.

It is not a dedicated circuit for work so they don't pay for it.

If it was a dedicated circuit I would expect them to pay for it.

Few people use dedicated circuits now.

The Internet is so comparatively fast and you can secure it with VPN clients and network access devices no one that I know bothers with dedicated circuits anymore

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
For me, it's a requirement if I want to WFH

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4931 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
I pay for mine but quite frankly, the money & time I'm saving in not commuting, more than makes up for it.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4337 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:
I pay for mine but quite frankly, the money & time I'm saving in not commuting, more than makes up for it.

Definitely. Also eliminating the stress from insane traffic on a 35 mile (each way) commute is almost priceless.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16536 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Company gives me a small reimbursement for not having a company phone.
Never broached a reimbursement for home ISP.

But, I only usually work from home 1 day a week.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15373 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My company went back and forth on that, I also have a company iphone with unlimited hot spot data.

Now I just get $50/month in my paycheck towards home office whatever which seems about right.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
For many years I had a home-based business, I had two different ISP's, one for the business, the other for home use. The business connection was 100% deductible as a business expense. Now, I am essentially retired (although if work comes my way, I might just take it). I still have both, but without significant business income, the business connection is not so deductible.

My wife works from home about 50%, she uses the home Internet connection, no employer reimbursement, although they do provide her equipment, laptop, docking station, printer, cell phone.

Posts: 6509 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
My company was clear, if the employee has issues providing internet, they are more welcome to commute to the office as originally hired.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
If an employee wanted to debate this with me, I'd certainly remember that and wonder what other petty BS they are going to bring up later, or how else they are getting "even" for some other perceived sleight.

I've worked in both situations; appreciated the gesture of the one who paid, was happy to work 20 paces from my kitchen/garage/wife while working for the one who didn't.

Now if you're hiring Luddites, this might be a reasonable demand.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12441 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
I have a home office but make sales and support calls in person locally. That being said I get $100 cell/mifi expense monthly but I pay for the high speed internet at the house. I would have that anyway so not an issue for me.

JC

Posts: 1273 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Short answer is : Yes I pay for it.

The logic: You would have it for personal use anyway. There is a physical office with with company internet if you prefer to go in.

I get it. I kinda agree with the logic. I'd have home internet either way. They give us a $60 a month cell expense. Not a lot... but every cent matters I guess.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8857 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
I pay for what little I am billed. I work for the ISP so it's steeply discounted

Posts: 4024 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
When it became apparent that we would be working from home for an extended time, the company started giving us a monthly stipend to offset some/most/all of any additional expenses we incurred by working remotely. I would have happily done without it, as not having to commute downtown saved me more than the stipend was (it more than covered the internet usage).

Posts: 7274 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I mostly work from home except when I have to go to a county for an investigation. I do not get reimbursed for my internet by the state. I would have internet anyways and also have unlimited internet usage. I just use my personal internet and have to use VPN for work access. I guess if I didn’t have good internet or unlimited data, then I might inquire but then they would probably just tell me to work in the office….lol.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig2392:
I have a company cell phone and home internet service.

I pay for the internet myself.

They pay for my work cell phone.

It is not a dedicated circuit for work so they don't pay for it.

If it was a dedicated circuit I would expect them to pay for it.

Few people use dedicated circuits now.

The Internet is so comparatively fast and you can secure it with VPN clients and network access devices no one that I know bothers with dedicated circuits anymore

Same with me. Ditto on everything said above, correct assessment.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8702 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post