SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Survey question for those that work from home…
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Survey question for those that work from home… Login/Join 
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
My company used to reimburse for internet, but upgraded to tethered cell phones, and stopped the reimbursement.

I still use my internet as is easier for me, and as mentioned before, it's no extra charge from what I would be paying anyways.

If there were any incurred fees, I would default to the Hotspot connection no matter how much it inconvenienced me.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Gibb,

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3356 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of quil57
posted Hide Post
The company used to pay 10-13 years ago but then they said; "hey you have internet at home anyway, so we aren't going to pay for it" and they quit.

Posts: 44 | Location: Rock Hill | Registered: October 13, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I worked from home for 12 years, company paid for the internet. It was only fair, I was on the computer and their phone 9 hours a day.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3406 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for your comments. Frankly the results weren’t what I expected but that’s why I asked!

My wife’s situation is a little different in that some members of her company apparently have their bill paid for which has even included cable! This has pissed off the upper echelon of the company and they may just go ahead and cancel paying the service for everyone. The company is headquartered in Delaware but with the exception of a relatively small amount of support staff everyone works from home and this has been the scenario for the past 20+ years.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6332 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Do they pay for cell phone service? I suspect so as most companies in similar setups do. For most folks, that's also their only cell phone as well - the days of disallowing personal use are pretty far gone most places.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12441 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
We kind of came to the conclusion that it is the norm for people to have a cell phone and Internet access. And thus, we weren't paying anymore. Much like a land line, or a laundry machine back in the day. Wash your work clothes yourself. Have a phone in case we need you. But now, it's more high tech.

Posts: 11395 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
I was against telework both vocally and in writing when I was forced to telework in 2020.

With the rising fuel costs I figured out telework saves me 142.00 per month in fuel.

I also enjoy being able to control my environment as the noise from the turbines at the hydroelectric dam make it difficult for me to hear even with hearing aids in.

The coffee and music is better at home as well.

Yes I pay for phone, cell, and internet, but I was paying those costs anyway, and I take them off of my taxes as itemized deductions in their entirety instead of as a percentage as from 0630-1500 I am working for the Army Corps, and from 1500-2000 I am working for myself (photography business).

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Do they pay for cell phone service? I suspect so as most companies in similar setups do. For most folks, that's also their only cell phone as well - the days of disallowing personal use are pretty far gone most places.

Yes they provide iPhones and pay for unlimited service which is nice and in the case of my wife it’s her only phone.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6332 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
I started working from home most of the time several months before COVID hit. My firm pays for my cell phone and provides the computer and copier/printer and I pay for the internet with very fast and essentially unlimited data. The savings in mileage and wear and tear on the car more than makes up for the high speed internet cost over what we would probably use otherwise.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2109 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I remember when i used to get a stipend for home internet. That was over a decade ago.

They give us $40 a month stipend for cell phone. Neat, but it doesn’t even cover the bill. And what’s more aggravating is they must load their profile onto my phone for their work apps. I fucking hate it but it’s a requirement. Some people at work have 2 phones and some in management pushed this fact. I vehemently refused as I loathe even carrying one $1000 device on my person. So I have the watch on at all times to free myself from carrying the phone around everywhere with me like a bitch.

I’m trying to get permanent remote work status and at that point IDGAF about them paying for home internet. I already run dual ISP’s for redundancy/outages.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12658 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post