SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Google Chrome users - how do you remove "What's new in Chrome" pop up?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Google Chrome users - how do you remove "What's new in Chrome" pop up? Login/Join 
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted
Just recently Chrome started popping up a separate browser that says "What's new in Chrome" EVERY time I open my browser. I did a search and did exactly as the steps said to do to disable this and it didn't work. I'm on the verge of removing Chrome if I can't get this to stop.

Does anyone know how to permanently stop this ANNOYING and unnecessary pop-up? Please no bashing Chrome or other suggestions for other browsers.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by remsig:
… Please no bashing Chrome or other suggestions for other browsers.
but, but … ok.

I use Brave, which I think is chromium based. I have it set to remember my open tabs for when I open the browser I can continue where I left off. If a site makes a pop up window, I have to make sure it’s closed before closing the browser or it will keep showing up underneath the main window.

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This will probably take care of your problem.

Posts: 7557 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Mark, that's the first thing I thought of too. If you have "restore previous session's windows" configured, and don't make sure that the ones you don't want are closed before shutting down, or logging out, guess what happens the next time you start Chrome? Browser windows have a nasty habit of hiding behind other windows, so make sure you look around a little.

It's possible that it might be a little more complicated than that, I get this pop-up after there has been an update performed. So there must be a persistent "update flag" set by the update process. Probably a zero-byte file in a specific location, if it exists when the program starts up, you get the pop-up. As part of the sub-process that performs the pop-up, the flag is cleared so it doesn't happen again. If the logged in user does not have permissions to delete this file, e.g. if it is owned by the system or the administrator, then you'll get the pop-up every time. Seeking out and removing the file will "fix" the issue, at least until the next update. "How was this created and then not be removable?" you might ask. Several ways, initiated by another user of the computer, or perhaps an update was done in administrator mode, etc.

How to find this file/flag? Well, that might not be so easy. One thing to try would be to run the browser as administrator, get the pop-up, acknowledge it, close the window, and quit. This would allow the administrator account to clear the flag.

Another way to reset this might be to change the "open windows from last time" configuration parameter, then quit and restart before changing it back.

Posts: 6475 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
How to find this file/flag? Well, that might not be so easy. One thing to try would be to run the browser as administrator, get the pop-up, acknowledge it, close the window, and quit. This would allow the administrator account to clear the flag.

Easy, Peasy : In the url bar, type in chrome://flags/, search for: What's, then click disable. Call it a day at that point.

Posts: 7557 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
This will probably take care of your problem.

Thank you Bytes. That is what I tried but it didn't work. It didn't register in my mine until your 2nd response that I typed in "whats" and not "What's."

quote:
Originally posted by Bytes: Easy, Peasy : In the url bar, type in chrome://flags/, search for: What's, then click disable. Call it a day at that point.

Thank you Mark and architect as well for the suggestions. Something seemingly so simple was making me so mad.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
When I logged on this afternoon Chrome had done a big update. Anyone else get it on their pc?

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1866 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fiasconva:
When I logged on this afternoon Chrome had done a big update. Anyone else get it on their pc?

Are you getting the stupid "What's new" page?

The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
yes but all you have to do is X it out and it won't reappear.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1866 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post