SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    UPDATE - Home-Cured Corned Beef From Scratch For St. Patty's UPDATE - IT'S DONE!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UPDATE - Home-Cured Corned Beef From Scratch For St. Patty's UPDATE - IT'S DONE! Login/Join 
posted
We get a whole steer every fall from the in-laws; grass-fed registered Hereford that my FIL has been meticulously breeding and raising for over 60 years. Sometimes I corn the briskets, other times round, rumps, sirloin tips, heart, it doesn't really matter; corned beef is corned beef. This year is chuck roast, just what was at the front of the freezer.

I usually dry cure most things, but a brine bath is easy, too, so that's what I did today. My brine recipe is a marriage of several different ratios; Pop's Brine, Ruhlman's, and a few others; all of which have a weakness here or there, so I developed this. One gallon of brine is usually enough to cover 12#-15# of meat, if it's nested right.

ONE GALLON CURING BRINE

4 quarts water - divided
1.25 cups Mortons Kosher Salt*
1.5 cups brown sugar, packed
4 Tbsp pickling spice
6-8 cloves garlic, chopped
3 level Tbsp Cure #1 / Prague Powder**
Lots of ice cubes or patience

*Do NOT substitute table salt or other Kosher salt, they weigh DRASTICALLY different and will screw up your salinity

**Do NOT substitute Cure #2, Tender Quick, or "Pink Salt", they're not interchangeable, and you could end up sick

Warm 2 quarts of water just enough to fully dissolve the salt and sugar, stirring. Add in the pickling spice and garlic, and stir. Allow to rest for a bit to bloom the flavors of the pickling spice and garlic.

Dump a few trays of ice in to drop the temperature. Alternately, put the mix in the frig for a few hours. Add the other 2 quarts of COLD water, so now you're at the full gallon (or just over with the ice). You don't want to put your meat into hot water.

Add the 3 Tbsp of Cure #1, and stir until fully dissolved. Place your meat in tupperware or other non-metallic container, fairly well nested, and pour the brine over. Make sure there's enough room in the container to allow plenty of brine in there with the meat, or else it won't cure.

Put the lid on the container, and place in the frig.
Depending on the thickness of the meat, it'll need to cure for 7-10 days, rotating it every day or so, so it cures evenly on all sides. Some folks weigh their meat down with stoneware plates, etc. to keep it submerged, but if you rotate it every day, I've found you don't really need to.

That's it! When you're done, cook it like you do any store bought corned beef, but enjoy it more because it probably tastes better, is healthier, and you did it yourself!

And it's READY!!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Outnumbered,

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Niiiiiiiiiiice!!!!!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
A buddy of mine smokes his corned beef. I don't know the ingredients of his recipe, but it's outstanding!

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Great recipe, will definetly try this next.

I’ve been making corned beef a few years now as first step to pastrami. So much better than the store bought crap. All it takes is a good coating of spice and a few hours on the BGE or smoker. Yum!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12408 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
What cut of meat do you suggest, prefer?

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6851 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
7Bone Chuck Roast, NICE!

had no idea anyone still cut those, you never see them around here any longer,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tailhook 84:
A buddy of mine smokes his corned beef. I don't know the ingredients of his recipe, but it's outstanding!

that's how you make pastrami. rub it with lots of black pepper and coriander.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I did it about 5 years ago and it came out great.

Just a minor quibble, which I see a lot around this time of year; it's Saint Paddy, not Saint Patty.

Posts: 33777 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll have to try this later - too late for me to start it for this year. I've already bought a couple that are already brined, and will need to soak them tonight to remove some of the excess salt. Tomorrow night - they go into the sous vide cooker for 48 hours.

Posts: 2771 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I baked rye bread yesterday so I could make myself some Reubens.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Update in original post, Reubens tomorrow!

Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
The prrof is in the pics. You did a fantastic job, I can almost taste it.

Posts: 3448 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
What cut of meat do you suggest, prefer?

I don't think there's a huge difference when it's corned, honestly, so whatever you have readily available. Rump or round work equally well for people who like it lean. A full packer brisket has both lean on the flat for those who prefer it, and fatty on the point for those who prefer that, so it's a nice all-arounder.

Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Most incredible image. I may have to roll into an Irish tavern up the street for a plate of their special. Although it'll be fattier meat.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
BEAUTIFUL ! Dammit now I want a Corned beef sandwich.

Posts: 2873 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just a minor quibble, which I see a lot around this time of year; it's Saint Paddy, not Saint Patty.

I'm as Irish as the next guy, and probably moreso. And don't think it really makes a difference. One is derived from Patrick, the other from Padraig... so technically either is correct.

Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
WHY DO AMERICANS EAT CORNED BEEF ON ST. PATRICK’S DAY?

https://dailycaller.com/2019/0...FLfq4B86f-AioMq9q6Y4

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post