SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Chicago Prosecutor Drops Charges In Massive Gang Gunfight, Claims ‘Mutual Combat’
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chicago Prosecutor Drops Charges In Massive Gang Gunfight, Claims ‘Mutual Combat’ Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted
Never heard of the 'mutual combatants' defense to murder Roll Eyes

https://policetribune.com/chic...claims-mutual-combat

Chicago Prosecutor Drops Charges In Massive Gang Gunfight, Claims ‘Mutual Combat’

Chicago, IL – Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot is furious that Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Foxx opted not to charge those involved in a midday gun battle between rival gangs in the Austin neighborhood on Friday that left one person dead and five more wounded.

Foxx’s office released five suspects in a deadly shooting that occurred on Oct. 1 after refusing to charge the men with first-degree murder or any other felony, the Chicago Sun-Times reported.

Sources said police sought to charge all five of the suspects in custody with murder and aggravated battery.

But on Sunday, Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office spokeswoman Cristina Villareal told reporters that prosecutors had “determined that the evidence was insufficient to meet our burden of proof to approve felony charges,” the Chicago Sun-Times reported.

Villareal also claimed that Chicago Police Department (CPD) officials had agreed with that decision.

She said the decision not to charge the five men was made because the people who were killed were “mutual combatants,” the Chicago Sun-Times reported.

Lightfoot, a former prosecutor, demanded answers from the city’s top prosecutor about why Foxx had cited the suspects as “mutual combatants” and opted not to press charges against anyone involved despite the fact Chicago police officers had been on the scene and the mayhem was captured on video, FOX News reported.

“She’s got to explain to the public, why? Given that evidence, a pod camera right there that captured the entire thing and police officers on the scene in uniform, and a squad car there, why that isn’t enough?” the mayor asked at a press conference on Monday.

“If the bad guys that are out there that are picking up guns and shooting without any regard for the sanctity of life, do not believe that there’s accountability for them, the brazenness will not end. It will escalate, it will continue and our communities will not be safe,” Lightfoot continued.

Police recovered more than 70 shell casings from the street, but that number didn’t include the shell casings that were found inside the house, FOX News reported.

“It’s just like the Wild West,” a source told the Chicago Sun-Times.

“Having looked at this, gotten a deep understanding from the detectives that were doing the investigation, it’s really hard to understand that decision,” the mayor told reporters. “It’s complicated, for sure. But we really urge the State’s Attorney herself to get personally involved, look at the evidence, and I believe that there are charges that can be brought at a minimum against the individuals who initiated the gunfire.”

Lightfoot and five alderman representing areas nearby where the incident occurred sent a letter to Foxx’s office that implored the state’s attorney reconsider murder charges against at least the two surviving aggressors, FOX News reported.

“We can’t live in a world where there is no accountability,” the mayor said. “When there’s no accountability, meaning individuals who wreak havoc, who fire indiscriminately or fire at a target but without any regard for the sanctity of life and the health and well-being of others, if they do not feel like the criminal justice system is going to hold them accountable, we’re going to see a level of brazenness that will send the city into chaos. We cannot let that happen.”

Police said the gunfight started in the Austin neighborhood at about 10:30 a.m. on Oct. 1 after three members of one gang opened fire into a house with fully automatic weapons in an attempt to draw out members of a rival faction in the same gang, FOX News reported.

A police report said two Dodge Chargers driven by members of the Body Snatchers faction of the Four Corner Hustlers exchanged words with members of the gang’s Jack Boys set in the 1200-block of North Mason Avenue, the Chicago Sun-Times reported.

When all was finished, one man was dead and five more were wounded.

Once the gun battle ended, suspects inside the house refused to come out and the SWAT team had to be brought in.

The politicians’ letter to Foxx suggested that the suspects had entirely too much time to destroy evidence and get rid of guns while they waited for SWAT to arrive and called on the state’s attorney to investigate, FOX News reported.

But Foxx stood firm on her decision and doubled down on the criticism by Lightfoot.

“As a former federal prosecutor, the mayor knows of the ethical obligation of the prosecutor to only bring forth charges where the facts, evidence and law support it,” Foxx said. “She is also fully aware that as a prosecutor we are obligated not to try cases in the media. It is unclear why she has chosen to make such statements, especially absent the full information that was presented to our office by CPD.”

“The facts the mayor presented today simply are not in line with what was presented to us by CPD, and not born out by the evidence we received,” she continued. “The staggering violence that is devastating our communities is horrific, however, we must still adhere to both our ethical and legal standards in evaluating charges. As a former prosecutor, she knows that.”

The state’s attorney said that police who were on the scene couldn’t determine how the events unfolded because things were so chaotic, despite the gunfight having been captured on video by police department POD cameras, FOX News reported.

“We reviewed the evidence that was presented to us in consultation with the detectives and they agreed we were unable to approve charges based on the evidence presented,” Foxx wrote.

“However, as always, as additional evidence is gathered we stand ready to bring charges when appropriate.”

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Part of the larger plan. Create anarchy and crush it with an "Iron fist and sickle".

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So turd on turd violence is now acceptable? If I'd know that 30 years ago, I'd have a lot fewer broken bones.

Posts: 7020 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
So turd on turd violence is now acceptable?

Apparently is in blue cities. I'm perfectly fine with it. I'm hoping they can get some good riots going but since winter is coming I doubt it. Pity. Fun watching commie cities burn down.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm just going to leave this right here....

quote:

https://cwbchicago.com/2021/09...-overridden-too.html

So... blm, right?
Well, not if you're a 7yo girl or the 6yo sister.

Long story short- and the Detective is a friend of mine, as well as having a few friends on "Felony Review" in the Cook Co States Attorneys Office.

ASA screwed up and didn't lock in the Witness statements, witnesses refused to come back in and get re-interviewed (probably another few-hour long process). So the State's Attorney's office basically rejects the charges. (Call went up the chain of command in the ASA's office, then back down to the poor ASA working this case)

Detective goes off, yelling at the ASA- (not verbatim, but in essence) "if you're going to just reject charges like that, why the fuck am I here? I can be home with my family, you're fucking useless... (Knowing the Det, he probably went off on them in Spanish as well)

The Commander finds out after a late night phone call, gets pissed and "overrides" the ASA's rejection. (This includes getting it signed off by a judge) The Commander is in the office, doing what he has to do, Det walks in and basically said "fuck this, I'm done." And asked to get transferred from a Homicide Team in Violent Crimes to working property crimes (handling Bullshit thefts) by his request.

Our twat of a States Attorney gets wind of this, and calls assclown brown, our superintendent of police... Because it's going to be an embarrassment to Foxx, they get the ball rolling to "override" the original "override", and assclown brown calls the Street Deputy (highest ranking member of the Department on the street- think "Officer of the Day" in the Military) who gets another judge to sign off on the second "override"...

This place is a fucking joke. A big, old floppy clown shoe wearing joke.

"When its time to shoot, shoot. Dont talk!"

Now when you say "wait until it happens to one of them!". Well, I got that shit covered too:

https://cwbchicago.com/2021/10...bout-it-source1.html

It's their mess, they created it, now they get to wallow in their own shit.

Unfortunately, so do a lot of good citizens as well.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8354 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Mutual combat??? Ok as long as they keep it to themselves. Thinning the herd!!! .............. drill sgt.

Posts: 2014 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drill sgt:
Mutual combat??? Ok as long as they keep it to themselves. Thinning the herd!!! .............. drill sgt.

Let the animals kill each other.

Would save the taxpayers some good money.

Posts: 13130 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the insight CPD. Fits with what I know about Foxx and the current politics.

Posts: 17250 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted October 06, 2021 12:21
Mutual combat??? Ok as long as they keep it to themselves.

Two teens were fighting. One was killed. The parents of the deceased kid were furious at the mutual combat charge,figuring it should be murder.

Posts: 17250 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Thanks for the insight CPD. Fits with what I know about Foxx and the current politics.

A friend of mine grew up with her in Cabrini Green in the same building.
Alfonzo "Fonzi" is probably one of the bigger, blacker people you're ever gonna run into as well as the nicest person ever! Boxed his whole life, Dad got him into it to keep him out of trouble because they grew up in the Projects.

"That bitch ain't nothing but a hood-rat with a law degree!"
She grew up hanging out with the Gangster Disciples.

Now here's two people, same background, same chances in life.
Fonz runs a boxing gym in the inner city, and tries like hell to keep kids out of that lifestyle, does a whole lot for his community, and his Church.

Kim, well... We see how she's destroying her community and county.

The two kids incident that you're talking about-
Originally started as a fist fight, punches are thrown, Kid#1 pulls out the knife, stabs Kid#2 (slash to face, a few hits to the arms and hands- those were "defensive" wounds). Kid#2 falls backwards and landed on the ground, Kid#1 jumps on top of him, keeps stabbing him in the chest (where the fatal wound was delivered).

How #1 isn't in jail for murder, I'll never know...

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8354 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I take it that bringing them in on illegal weapon possession and discharging a firearm in city limits charges and then getting the ball rolling from there simply wasn't an option?

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Maybe I'm looking at this through a different lens, but I'm enjoying the heck out of watching Kim Foxx and Mayor Crazy Lightweight attacking each other while the city continues to burn.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
The Texas ladies who attacked staff at Carmine’s in Manhattan on Sept. 16 are claiming racism (racial slur) AND "mutual combat".

NYTimes By Precious Fondren • Oct. 6, 2021

Three women who were involved in an altercation with a hostess at a popular Italian restaurant on the Upper West Side were arraigned this week on assault and harassment charges.

The women, Kaeita Nkeenge Rankin, 44, and Tyonnie Keshay Rankin, 21, of Humble, Texas, and Sally Rechelle Lewis, 49, of Houston, pleaded not guilty Tuesday in Manhattan Criminal Court. They were charged with one count each of third-degree assault, attempted assault and harassment, said Javier Solano, a lawyer for the women.

The charges stem from a melee that took place at the restaurant, Carmine’s, on Sept. 16. Details surrounding what ignited the brawl have been contested since the incident, which was recorded on cellphones and security cameras and gained widespread attention online.

... People seeking to eat indoors at restaurants in New York have been required to show proof of vaccination since Sept. 13 ...

The altercation took place days after the mandate went into effect. Shortly after it occurred, the police released a statement saying the women had attacked the hostess after she asked to see their vaccination cards. But two days later, lawyers for the restaurant and the women confirmed that they had, in fact, provided proof of vaccination.

A lawyer for one of the women told The New York Times that the hostess, who is Korean American, used a racial slur toward the guests, who are Black, and described the exchange as “mutual combat.”

“Everybody got it wrong,” Mr. Solano said. “The part they mostly got wrong was that all three of the women didn’t have vaccination cards or refused to show proof of vaccination, which just wasn’t true.”

Jeffrey Bank, the owner of Carmine's, referred questions to a spokesman on Wednesday, but he said earlier that the video “clearly” showed the women from Texas provoked the attack.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/1...t-vaccine-cards.html

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
When you come from a subculture of violence, your first response to differences is threats of violence, and violence. Why would we be surprised?

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Just sounds to me like they don't have any witnesses to what happened. Y'all's prejudice shows because the article uses the word "gang" in it. Seems the old police theory worked here...

" A dead man makes a terrible witnesses"

The reality is they could spend tens of thousands of dollars taking it to court and listening to everybody saying he did this and I did that ....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Gangstas paradise..

Posts: 13814 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
the Body Snatchers faction of the Four Corner Hustlers exchanged words with members of the gang’s Jack Boys

Heeheheheheheheheheharharharharhhohohohhahahahaha.

Oh, pulleeeeez publish the individual combatant's names, pleeeeease.

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15901 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
The Texas ladies who attacked staff at Carmine’s in Manhattan on Sept. 16 are claiming racism (racial slur) AND "mutual combat".

NYTimes By Precious Fondren • Oct. 6, 2021

Three women who were involved in an altercation with a hostess at a popular Italian restaurant on the Upper West Side were arraigned this week on assault and harassment charges.

The women, Kaeita Nkeenge Rankin, 44, and Tyonnie Keshay Rankin, 21, of Humble, Texas, and Sally Rechelle Lewis, 49, of Houston, pleaded not guilty Tuesday in Manhattan Criminal Court. They were charged with one count each of third-degree assault, attempted assault and harassment, said Javier Solano, a lawyer for the women.

The charges stem from a melee that took place at the restaurant, Carmine’s, on Sept. 16. Details surrounding what ignited the brawl have been contested since the incident, which was recorded on cellphones and security cameras and gained widespread attention online.

... People seeking to eat indoors at restaurants in New York have been required to show proof of vaccination since Sept. 13 ...

The altercation took place days after the mandate went into effect. Shortly after it occurred, the police released a statement saying the women had attacked the hostess after she asked to see their vaccination cards. But two days later, lawyers for the restaurant and the women confirmed that they had, in fact, provided proof of vaccination.

A lawyer for one of the women told The New York Times that the hostess, who is Korean American, used a racial slur toward the guests, who are Black, and described the exchange as “mutual combat.”

“Everybody got it wrong,” Mr. Solano said. “The part they mostly got wrong was that all three of the women didn’t have vaccination cards or refused to show proof of vaccination, which just wasn’t true.”

Jeffrey Bank, the owner of Carmine's, referred questions to a spokesman on Wednesday, but he said earlier that the video “clearly” showed the women from Texas provoked the attack.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/1...t-vaccine-cards.html

Because three on one is "mutual" combat.

Posts: 3938 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Does the word "ladies" really fit the story?

Posts: 3459 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, I never thought that I would agree with Lightfoot. This story is out there even for Chicago standards.

Posts: 5423 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post