SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How well do you remember your own life?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How well do you remember your own life? Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Better than Brian Williams.

Okay, that's some funny shit right there! Big Grin

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15250 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
If my memory was any worse, I could organize my own surprise party

Posts: 4708 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
My memory isn't what I remember it to be.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
I was always a little curious why my Dad rarely spoke of his mother and almost never mentioned his father. The last couple years of his life he started to. It brought up some things that I had "forgotten"- he had told me some stories when I was little but he hadnt mentioned them in so long, I guess the memories got burried.

A friends grandmother could remember laying in her crib, staring at the mobil.

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
To be clear, I don't have a photographic memory....

That article is actually mostly about the need to forget things to avoid being overwhelmed by memories.

At one time I was very envious of the idea of having a photographic memory, and how useful it would be for so many activities. In time, though, I independently came to the conclusion that it would be a mixed ability at best. Years ago I saw a fictional TV show about people in law school and one of the student characters had a photographic memory. In the story, however, he was struggling with the course work and expressed extreme frustration at his progress. Although he had a perfect memory for facts, he was evidently very poor at learning the underlying principles they taught and demonstrated.

I’ve always considered myself fortunate for my ability to remember nonautobiographical facts; many things I read just seem to stick with me with little conscious effort. My memory is not photographic, though, and I believe I have above average ability to understand underlying principles and lessons when studying something. Ask me to describe a house I lived in for years, though, and, “Um ….” I’m particularly bad with names and faces, and again even about people I knew and worked with for years.

Thanks for all the other comments, BTW.
As I say, I’ve thought about this stuff for years and it’s good to get others’ perspectives.

There is a series of books by David Baldacci with a detective named Amos Decker who is plagued with vivid and overwhelming memories. Makes him a very effective investigator.

I have personally always had the ability to recall details of things I have read or heard to the extent that my friends and family eventually refused to play Trivial Pursuit with me. I believe that it aided me as an investigator. Now, if I could just remember where I put my phone and truck keys, or why I just walked into the kitchen....

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Doctor: “How long have you had this memory problem?”

Patient: “What memory problem?”

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8977 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
How well do you remember your own life?

Not as well as when I was younger! Wink

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I remember being in my walker fascinated at the other world I was seeing on the other side of the tv screen. Every time I tried to reach into the world, someone on the other side would put their hand up exactly where I was reaching and stopped me.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19678 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Several have commented about forgetting things when entering a room. Here is an article about the doorway effect that should help explain what happens.

I find it fascinating that this has been shown to occur even with written stories.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
When I was younger, I had a "photographic" memory. If challenged, I could spout the book, chapter, and page where the info in question appeared. I was also gifted with a mathematical aptitude where a series of exercises wielded an instant reply, often with the correct answer.
Unfortunately, my teachers (nuns) wanted to see the answers worked out. Over the years, both the mathematical aptitude and the "photographic" memory waned. Although I still have a great memory for events and details on the job, don't ask me what I ate yesterday. Big Grin
Petty things do not seem important, whereas specific details of the job do! Weird, to say the least!!

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Too well

I wish I didn’t

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I see myself in the mirror at the start of each day and remember who it is, I flash a thumbs up.

Posts: 1454 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
Human memory is such an odd thing.

There are plenty of events and moments from my past that I can remember in detail. And of course there are events I have completely forgotten. What's strange is my memory from recent years is foggier than some of my past. For example, a work associate I have been acquainted with for years (I see him twice a year), I forgot his name last year. And he's not the only one. Yet I can still remember the names of my buddies in the 3rd grade, guys I haven't seen since then.

And sometimes I will walk into the garage, forgetting why I went there in the first place.

This is me almost to a T. My first memory was around 2 yrs old and is still very vivid. I then skip around my early childhood with various memories that taught life lessons or meeting relatives. But most of school is gone except exceptional happenings and some friends. Work yrs especially the 70-90's pretty hazy. Retirement......

Posts: 4411 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
Too well

I wish I didn’t

It seems that the only things that I remember clearly are the times I was an asshole. And those always seem to be crystal clear.

Everybody knows that the dice are loaded

Posts: 369 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I remember snippets of my life. Just short scenes that rarely have context. I can pull up those memories at will, but often find that relatives and loved ones will mention events of which I have little recall.

When my granddaughter (and now a grandson) were born, I started to create a timeline of my life. I know very little of my own grandparents so I thought I'd do something to give my grandkids something they could use to learn who their grandfather was.

I have software I purchased for this purpose, but there is a nifty web site called TimeToast that one can use to accomplish the same thing.

https://www.timetoast.com/

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
From the two descriptions, I'm definitely the "hard to remember" SDAM type. And it makes sense that I'm so good at solving issues is because of that.

Very interesting, I'm going to have to look into it more. I wonder if there's a tie in between that and ADHD.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 770 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post