SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    LDS Missionary takes on robber - don't mess with this Elder
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LDS Missionary takes on robber - don't mess with this Elder Login/Join 
Picture of ibexsig
posted
This Elder really opened up on this would be robber. Love it. His companion wasn't much help. As a former missionary I would have least would have protected his back. Enjoy!

http://www.sltrib.com/lifestyl...missionary-beat-back

Posts: 318 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: January 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
That guy definitely has an "I'm not a victim" mentality

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38203 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My neighbor's parents are heading to Brazil in June for a 'mission' (can't recall the actual term).
I her dad is going to be training LDS missionaries that are coming to Brazil. He served his mission there as well as a young man.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15977 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Shoulda kept the gun, though

Posts: 27162 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
He must have been an off duty missonary.

The big guy is name Barry. Also known as Elder Barry.

And the thug was heard to be sufffering from Elder Barry Whine...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44458 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Fresh from Our Lady of the Holy Whoopass

"...and the holy man did openup the Blessed Can of Whoopass, and the people hid their faces in shame, while trying to cover their ass with both hands. Verily, I say unto you, a man would need a miracle to have three hands..."

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 109045 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was surprised by the actions, actually the total inaction of the second Elder. He just stood there, and made no effort whatsoever to help his fellow companion. What a total coward.
But, though I never served a Mission, most of the Elders who are sent to our Ward are total pussies like the second Elder, Guys who are such goody gumshoes, that they wouldnot know how to act in case of an emergency.

If you think you can, YOU WILL!!!!!

Posts: 3833 | Location: Wolverine-Land!!!! | Registered: August 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Nothing in the Mormon religion says you can't finish a fight.

Posts: 28645 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
" While his companion watches, the larger missionary proceeds to offer not the right hand of fellowship but a flurry of overhand rights and straight left jabs that send the culprit reeling across the street and finally tumbling onto the asphalt. Big Grin Big Grin

from the same article the OP posted above
http://www.sltrib.com/lifestyl...missionary-beat-back

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LOL. Served Sacramento Mission and while there were some rough areas (did a few months in Stockton) I am glad I never had to deal with anything like that!

Houston Texas, if the heat don't kill ya, the skeeters will.

Posts: 359 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sidss1:
I was surprised by the actions, actually the total inaction of the second Elder. He just stood there, and made no effort whatsoever to help his fellow companion. What a total coward.

Maybe he saw that his buddy was doing just fine and was letting him "get some."

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30896 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
High standards,
low expectations
Picture of Surefire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Shoulda kept the gun, though

Not so sure, if he wasn't skilled in its use (or it was a hi-point Big Grin ) it would increase the potential consequence to himself significantly considering he was already engaged hand-to-hand. I think it was a smart decision.

The reward for hard work, is more hard work arcwelder76, 2013

Posts: 5252 | Location: Edmonton AB, Canada | Registered: July 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
Psalm 144:1- Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
That, boys and girls, is righteous indignation at its finest.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29905 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was in Church listening to a young woman report on her missionary service in Haiti. She said on her first day she met her companion and they traveled to a town where they found the apartment they would be sharing. When it was night they dressed for bed and were just about asleep when she heard someone on the front porch. A moment later there was a loud crash as the door was kicked off its hinges and fell to the floor. She said she could see a huge man standing in the doorway and she was terrified.

The next thing she heard was her companion yell something and run at the man. Her companion then leaped in the air and kicked the guy high in the chest. He staggered back and she kicked him again, this time he fell on his back and laid there for a moment before stumbling to his feet and walking away, obviously barely able to walk.

They put the door back and barricaded the door. As they were sitting in the room trying to settle their nerves she asked, "Wow, that was terrific, how did you learn to do that?". The other girls said, "I've been teaching Karate for several years to earn the money to pay for my mission".

She said the word got out in that small town and they were warmly greeted where ever they went.

____

I'm filled with gratitude for the blessings I've received.

Posts: 710 | Location: So Cal | Registered: September 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
We are the army of the church of Jesus Christ.....of Latter Day Saints.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5935 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
(BAM) For You have girded me with strength for battle; You have subdued under me those who rose up against me!

Posts: 1771 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I would have stolen his little motor scooter and left it in a creek somewhere.

I really, really hate thieves.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21107 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wasabibill:
I was in Church listening to a young woman report on her missionary service in Haiti. She said on her first day she met her companion and they traveled to a town where they found the apartment they would be sharing. When it was night they dressed for bed and were just about asleep when she heard someone on the front porch. A moment later there was a loud crash as the door was kicked off its hinges and fell to the floor. She said she could see a huge man standing in the doorway and she was terrified.

The next thing she heard was her companion yell something and run at the man. Her companion then leaped in the air and kicked the guy high in the chest. He staggered back and she kicked him again, this time he fell on his back and laid there for a moment before stumbling to his feet and walking away, obviously barely able to walk.

They put the door back and barricaded the door. As they were sitting in the room trying to settle their nerves she asked, "Wow, that was terrific, how did you learn to do that?". The other girls said, "I've been teaching Karate for several years to earn the money to pay for my mission".

She said the word got out in that small town and they were warmly greeted where ever they went.

That is an awesome story, thank you for sharing it.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
It's a shame he threw the gun away. But i'm sure it's on principle.

I laughed when I got to this part:

quote:
the larger missionary proceeds to offer not the right hand of fellowship but a flurry of overhand rights and straight left jabs

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20019 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post