SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Entry-level telescope
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Entry-level telescope Login/Join 
posted
I've been tasked with finding a telescope for my Mom's birthday.
I've looked just enough to figure out that I know nothing about Telescopes.
What's an easy-to use scope that can be had quickly that will work for someone who just wants to look at planets & the ISS with something better than eyeballs & cheap binoculars?
Budget <$1k, preferably closer to $500 if it's not a night & day difference.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Several times, I've considered buying one so that I could spy the rings of Saturn (resolve each ring distinctly). And look a the outer edge planets (Jupiter, Neptune).

I've been looking the the Celestron available at Costco (value and returnable). I've been meaning to go to the local observatory to see what they recommend for amateurs and my purpose and any opinions they may have on the Costco offerings.

Looking forward to seeing what experts here say.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12721 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
I was hot and heavy into amateur astronomy for about last 30 years, but since we moved to a more light polluted area, I’m not nearly as active. Most of my viewing is naked eye and binoculars, and I haven’t been to a star party in a while.

Just fyi, you won’t see Hubble or JWST images through the eyepiece. The moon will look great, but it looks really good already in binoculars. For the the biggest telescope bang for your buck is a reflector. A 5” or 6” mirror is great for entry level. Also, the lower the eyepiece size is, measured in millimeters, is higher magnification. So, a 6mm EP will have markedly higher magnification than a 33mm.

Most are used to refractor scopes, but again, a reflector gives more bang for the buck since reflectors use mirrors instead of lenses….except, of course, for the lenses in the EPS used in both. This is VERY basic info, and again, binoculars, will do just fine for general nighttime observing.

Stabilized binoculars are really good because you will see astronomical objects bouncing around without it.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1175 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
If going reflector I'd highly recommend a zoom optic. Makes acquiring things easier. I have a 130mm reflector. Honestly, carrying it in and out is a bit of a pain.

Posts: 7527 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My .02- try 12x50 binoculars, a tripod, binocular mount, and a comfy chair first.

Posts: 3596 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snidera:
What's an easy-to use scope that can be had quickly that will work for someone who just wants to look at planets & the ISS with something better than eyeballs & cheap binoculars?

The ISS is in a different category. I'm not sure there are telescopes that have motors that move fast enough to track that across the sky.
If there are, we can't afford it. You would want to just use binos or naked eye to watch it cross the the sky.
Here is an interesting video photographing the ISS. https://youtu.be/GD-huRAnSb0

Planet tracking, however, is possible, but adding a tracking platform is going to nock the cost up over basic scopes where we just nudge the view along as our earth rotates.

Posts: 7358 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Probably the best value for the money is a 6 or 8 inch dobsonian. Large enough to gather light for good views and simple to set up. No computer guidance or tracking though. They will give good views of the moon, Saturns rings,and Jupiter with it's moons. A lot of deep space objects will also be visible. ISS can be tough with a scope, it moves through the field of view pretty fast. Stay away from department store kits, especially those that advertise high power. Orion telescopes and Celestron are good choices. When I started I found a Ryder Hobby store with a good astronomy section. Look on YouTube for Ed Ting. He has a lot of videos on getting started and equipment reviews.

Posts: 59 | Registered: July 11, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Network Janitor
Picture of mkueffer
posted Hide Post
You do have options in that range. I started with a manual 8” dobsonian that was great to 1) learn the sky and where objects are. 2) give you the light gathering to see more than points of light. 3) not a big investment other than eye pieces.

The larger the aperture the more light and more details. But your budget will dictate how much you want to spend.

One thing to check is see if there are any astronomy clubs in your area, they are a great resource and have star gazing nights. Good way to view through different optics. That is how I got into it.

A few Sigs and some others

Posts: 2219 | Location: Waukesha, WI | Registered: February 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know a lot of people that thought they wanted a telescope and lost interest in it soon after they got one . My Dad was one of those people .

Posts: 4058 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRBTX:
My .02- try 12x50 binoculars, a tripod, binocular mount, and a comfy chair first.
You're forgetting the Bourbon.

Posts: 6477 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind weight and bulk too. If a scope becomes too cumbersome or difficult to move outside and set up it won't get used at all.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16223 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
I know a lot of people that thought they wanted a telescope and lost interest in it soon after they got one . My Dad was one of those people .

I'm one as well. Subscribed to astronomy magazines and bought a Celestron 8" reflector scope with a motor drive (not cheap) and lost interest after about a month. Dark skies were an hour away and it took me forever to set up the drive. Way too much hassle for an impatient guy like myself. If you want quick gratification, find a different hobby.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:

I'm one as well. Subscribed to astronomy magazines and bought a Celestron 8" reflector scope with a motor drive (not cheap) and lost interest after about a month. Dark skies were an hour away and it took me forever to set up the drive. Way too much hassle for an impatient guy like myself. If you want quick gratification, find a different hobby.

Jim

this is somewhat what I expect to happen & why I didn't do it last year. My idea percolated apparently.

I like the idea of a spotting scope or binos & a tripod more & more.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
quote:
Originally posted by snidera:

The ISS is in a different category. I'm not sure there are telescopes that have motors that move fast enough to track that across the sky.
If there are, we can't afford it. You would want to just use binos or naked eye to watch it cross the the sky.
Here is an interesting video photographing the ISS. https://youtu.be/GD-huRAnSb0

Planet tracking, however, is possible, but adding a tracking platform is going to nock the cost up over basic scopes where we just nudge the view along as our earth rotates.

Eh, didn't think about motorized tracking or quick moving objects. She sent a text about seeing the ISS about a week ago for 5min, so it was fresh in my mind.

Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
I had a Celestron C8 telescope that we purchased to view Halley's Comet's last visit in 1986. We took it out several times to view planets, the moon, etc before the comet got here. I remember thinking about what a pain in the ass it is to set up to a starting point. The comet turned out to be a cotton-puff in space, a real bummer.

Flash-forward to present, you can set up your scope and use the app on your phone to figure out which way to point it, what to look for, what to track, etc. And you can get a decent beginner package like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Celestr...b9-81a4-dc28e6d374b3

So, if your mom is able to move 18 lbs (kinda top-heavy if it's mounted on the tripod already) and put it in position, and use the app, great!

Or, if your weather is decent, leave it set up and drape a tarp over it. I wouldn't leave it out if you know it's gonna rain or snow though.

There are also other apps to learn about astronomy, as well as Dummies books, etc.

EDIT to add: You can also look for smaller scopes you can put on a table, where the viewer can sit down....or one the you can view on your phone or iPad.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2840 | Location: Marana, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
Star Gazing Deluxe Telescope - w/Space Navigator Skyview App
Space Navigator App-Enhanced Star-Finding Deluxe Telescope $100ish

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Spa...e-Telescope/42424717 

I have used this scope about 4 times camping in a field that was very dark and it was fun.
The app on my phone is the best part as I can ID most any bright object in the sky and get the info I want w/o using the Scope. Just point the phone to the shiny object and BAM - You can search for objects as well as many are below the horizon and at least know where it is.

Would I buy it again - $60 years ago but maybe not. I do love the app.

Posts: 494 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you think she is serious about observing, a 6" SCT with GoTo mount like this would be a great gift:

https://www.astronomics.com/ne...to-sct.html?___SID=U

add a 8-24 Baader Zoom and you are good to go

If you think it's just a passing fancy, this is a good place to start:

https://www.celestron.com/prod...firstscope-telescope

You can get good views of moon and planets, it's inexpensive and it is light.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: clang,

Posts: 266 | Registered: September 12, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRBTX:

This. Back in the day I lived outside of San Diego and not too far from the desert. We'd go out to the Anza Borrego, the night skies were fantastic and I decided I wanted a telescope.

After doing a lot of research and talking to folks, I decided on a decent pair of binocs. Along with the mount and a comfy chair, you can decide if you (and your body) are really into sitting outside till the wee hours staring up into the sky before sinking the money on a scope.

Also, it's been over 20 years for me, but even back then, you had to spend a decent amount of money to get an actual telescope and not an expensive kids toy.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6405 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you think she is serious about observing, a 6" SCT with GoTo mount like this would be a great gift:

https://www.astronomics.com/ne...to-sct.html?___SID=U

I sent him this as the 'Cadillac' option & he's got it on the way, so I guess she's serious.

Thanks everybody, there were a lot of things mentioned that I'd never consider otherwise. Chalk another one up for the Sigforum expert helpline.