SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What to do about cracked screen on Android phone?

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
What to do about cracked screen on Android phone? Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
My Galaxy S5 has a hairline fracture running horizontally across the screen. This phone is paid for and I have no interest in spending hundreds of dollars on a new phone, because the phone works perfectly. I'm not going to attempt to repair it myself and I am not mailing in or leaving my phone with anyone.
I've seen these little kiosks in shopping malls, where they will repair your screen while you wait. Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
My wife had a cracked screen on her iPhone 7 and took it to one of those kiosks at the mall. The little Asian girl working there had it repaired and like new in about 20 mins. In fact, she may have had it fixed quicker than that as she was just leaning back in her chair playing on her own phone when my wife returned.

The newer phones get a little more complicated when replacing screens, but for something like a galaxy S5, the phone fix it kiosk should be the perfect place to bring it.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
I've used a repair service at Sugarloaf Mills mall, but the cost was $90. The screen and repair were fine.

I know you said you dont want a new phone but refurbished phones from newegg are a better value than replacing a screen.

https://m.newegg.com/product/9SIA8EH91M2861?m_ver=1

A replacement S5 for $114 is a better value IMHO. You can also upgrade S6 is $136, I recently got an S7 for $159.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Para, many Best Buy stores are authorized Samsung repair centers so you'll get Samsung trained tech repairing it using Samsung parts. However you'll most likely have to leave your phone there for a couple of hours. Google for Samsung repair center for a location near you.

Otherwise the mall kiosks can do it while you stand there.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Report This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Once you have your phone fixed or replaced, you may want to have a screen protector put over your screen. It's cheaper to replace a screen protector than the screen.

[3-Pack]- Mr.Shield for Samsung Galaxy S5 [Tempered Glass] Screen Protector

Posts: 3382 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:
I've used a repair service at Sugarloaf Mills mall, but the cost was $90. The screen and repair were fine.
This is what I'll do. I don't want to hassle with my provider over putting a new (refurbished) phone on my plan. I'll invest the C note in my S5 and refrain in the future from treating it like the proverbial red-headed step child.

Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
I had a hard (glass?) screen saver put on my Galaxy S6 when I bought it and it's been great at protecting the face of the phone along with the Pelican case. Over a year ago I dropped the phone, it landed on a corner and a 1" hairline crack appeared diagonally across the face of the phone (not the screen saver). But there has been no change in how the phone works, so I just use it as-is. I'm convinced the hard screen protector has something to do with this.

I'm too cheap to repair or replace a working phone that simply has a 1" crack. $90.00?? That would be 450 rounds out of my 9mm budget!

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It's not a one inch crack. It runs edge to edge across the screen and it distorts the screen image.

Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Locally, used Verizon S5's are regularly sold for $80-$90, in excellent condition. Other carriers are closer to $60. One can check the IMEI with the carrier to be sure it is unlocked and ready for use.

Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
Once you have your phone fixed or replaced, you may want to have a screen protector put over your screen. It's cheaper to replace a screen protector than the screen.

[3-Pack]- Mr.Shield for Samsung Galaxy S5 [Tempered Glass] Screen Protector

Can recommend these too. Have dropped mine several times and the protector broke but not the screen itself.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
Locally, used Verizon S5's are regularly sold for $80-$90, in excellent condition. Other carriers are closer to $60. One can check the IMEI with the carrier to be sure it is unlocked and ready for use.
I am not buying another phone.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'm just going to lock this before someone else gives me a suggestion to do something other than what I intend to do, after stating what I intend to do.

Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Para, once You have the screen replaced, don't leave the premises without making sure your camera, both sides, BT, mic, speaker And wifi are all functioning properly.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12108 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much, 0-0